Preschool Cake ??

Decorating By Sigyn Updated 27 May 2007 , 2:35am by doc_farms

Sigyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sigyn Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:40am
post #1 of 11

This is my first thread and I really hope you guys can give me some great idea's and tips thumbs_up.gif

My preschool class is graduating in about 2 weeks and instead of having a cake just for our kids who are graduating I wanted to make a end of the year cake.

I was thinking maybe square with 2 layers on top or perhaps just a large sheet cake. I was thinking of putting figures on that cake some kids gave me Dora and Diego, but then I was thinking about maybe taking some small pictures and transfering it to the cake and coloring it in, but I have no idea on how to do this. I haven't even taken my first wilton class yet.

I know I sound sketchy I just really can't make a decision on this and would love the input icon_biggrin.gif

I wanted enough space to write "thanks for an awesome/great year love the lead teachers name and myself".

I would appreciate any tips or idea's or how to do the transfer and what do you use to color the picture in?
Thanks Abunch!!!

one more quick idea, what also if I use stencils for writing and put a small poem around the side of the cake? have you ever done something like that? I know they won't understand it but since I can't purchase them all a gift this year I was thinking it would show how proud I was icon_smile.gif

10 replies
TaraRowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraRowan Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 11

what about something a little more simple and write your thnak you message on the cake and then write each kid's name on the cake in a star or a heart. I think that the kids would get a kick out of seeing their names on the cake.
good luck with it!

Sigyn Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

that was another of my idea's, but since I would be doing it for the entire class I would have to squeeze almost 35 names on there. I didn't think I could fit them all on lol

we have a large class but sadly 17 are graduating

Thanks!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #4 of 11

Are the parents going to be there too for this cake? If so you're going to need a fairly large cake even if each child has just one parent with. If that's the case buy a star cookie cutter, edible markers and some fondant. You could lay the stars on the cake after you write each child's name on one.

Another idea would be to get alphabet cutters and cut out letters to scatter on the cake. Something that the kids would get.

That's a huge class icon_eek.gif , are there just the two teachers for all those kids? icon_surprised.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:10am
post #5 of 11

You could also take a class photo to a local supermarket that does edible images. These are very easy to apply. You just peel them off and put them on your icing and let them set for about 1/2 hour. They become one with the frosting and the kids would get a kick out of seeing themselves on a cake. I really like the idea of the cookies with the kids' names on them too. Then, all you'd have to pipe on the cake is a border around the edges and around the class photo. Good luck!

S.

Sigyn Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:53am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Are the parents going to be there too for this cake? If so you're going to need a fairly large cake even if each child has just one parent with. If that's the case buy a star cookie cutter, edible markers and some fondant. You could lay the stars on the cake after you write each child's name on one.

Another idea would be to get alphabet cutters and cut out letters to scatter on the cake. Something that the kids would get.

That's a huge class icon_eek.gif , are there just the two teachers for all those kids? icon_surprised.gif

no this will be a cake for the whole class during regular school hours, no parents will be there icon_wink.gif

yea in michigan well wayne county, the preschool ratio under 4 is 10 to 1 teacher and older it is 12 to 1 ratio.

lol yea there are tons of kids but you get to know all of them

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigyn

yea in michigan well wayne county, the preschool ratio under 4 is 10 to 1 teacher and older it is 12 to 1 ratio.

And here our teachers complain when their partner's gone for the day leaving them with 18 second graders to handle all by themselves. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sigyn Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:32am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigyn

And here our teachers complain when their partner's gone for the day leaving them with 18 second graders to handle all by themselves. icon_rolleyes.gif

lol yea I wanted to be a second grade teacher, well I would say that dream is gone icon_cool.gif
I love all of my kids but WOW the stress is alot to deal with.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11

I just made a girlscout cake for a bridging ceremony and I covered in fondant with fondant verticle stripes and I wrote each girls name on a stripe. Granted I only had 13 names but it went really quick, I mixed food coloring in with about 1/4 tsp clear liquor and used a very find paint brush to paint their names on, it turned out great.

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:08am
post #10 of 11

I made a cake for a end of the year preschool party last weekend. I don't have the materials to make edible images yet. Instead I've printed, or drawn pictures, and laminated them.Add a bit of frosting on the back to help them stick and put on the cake. Just add a simple star or shell border around to hide the edges. Voila! Image cake.
I'm having trouble posting the picture on this forum. I have it posted in my photos-titled "School". Hope this helps!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:35am
post #11 of 11

I hope this is still in time. Edible imaes are great, and super easy. My King Soopers charges about $8 per sheet. Anything you put on a 8" x 11" piece of paper will be scanned into their computer and printed out on an edible image. Then you could color buttercream loud primary colors and use your star tip to zig zag pipe frames onto each picture that you put onto the cake. Then you could also do the poem and the saying on another edible image and frame those as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%