Bummer!! Cake Was Dry!

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 1:35pm by potatocakes

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 12

I just found out that a shower cake I made a few weeks ago was horribly DRY!!! Oh...kills me! I've made that cake many times before and it's never been like that. Maybe it was slightly overbaked? I don't know what else it could have been. She wanted the cake for when I was going to be out of town, so she picked it up two days early, but I wasn't really worried because this particular cake I have always found to get moister over the course of a few days, so I figured it would be perfect. I gave it to her in a box and told her not to put it in the fridge, but rather in a large trash bag to seal out the air. She wasn't going to say anything, but I found out today from a co-worker of hers who I had unrelated business with. I am going to make another mini cake for them to taste what it should really be like next week and emailed the lady and offered her a 50% refund, but I feel terrible that it happened at all!!!

11 replies
Reecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reecie Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 12

I'm sorry that happened! I had the same experience last week. I was in a rush to do a german chocolate cake and baked only 2 layers instead of 3. This of course required a longer baking time. End result was a dry cake. The customer is a very loyal one and was kind enough to let me know because she knows how much I appreciate honesty about my cakes. I offered to refund her money or make her a new one, but she wouldnt hear of it and ordered a lemon cake for next week. Dont get discouraged, just keep at it. Sometimes these things happen. (Hopefully these were our first and LAST experiences with this icon_biggrin.gif )

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:57am
post #3 of 12

My MIL is a former cake decorator who worked at a Wedding Business. She said that as soon as the cake cooled for ten minutes they would remove it from the pan and immediately wrap them in Saran Wrap. They would let the cakes sit in the plastic wrap until they were ready to decorate them. This would allow all the moisture to remain in the cake. I have family & friends who try to get out of me what I do to get my cakes so moist. I just tell them it's my secret.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:05am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

My MIL is a former cake decorator who worked at a Wedding Business. She said that as soon as the cake cooled for ten minutes they would remove it from the pan and immediately wrap them in Saran Wrap. They would let the cakes sit in the plastic wrap until they were ready to decorate them. This would allow all the moisture to remain in the cake. I have family & friends who try to get out of me what I do to get my cakes so moist. I just tell them it's my secret.

I also wrap my cakes in Saran Wrap to keep them moist. It works like a charm.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:14am
post #5 of 12

I also wrap my cakes in Saran Wrap while still hot. When I took Wilton Course I almost 20 years ago, our instructor told us about that Saran Wrap technique and I have used it on over 1800 cakes. I have never had one complaint about dry cake. I also use plastic storage boxes for cake boxes, which also keep the cakes from drying out. My clients know the boxes must be returned to me.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:25am
post #6 of 12

So sorry you got a bad report on one of your cakes. I'm sure it happens to everyone. I think you'll get her business again because you were so great about it and offered all you did. That's what keeps customers. icon_smile.gif

I have a question about the Saran wrap keeping it most. Doesn't that cause the cake to be too soft and make it hard to ice?? Like do the crumbs come off easier? I have a cake to bake today for course I and I'd like to try this new technique and see how it works and share this idea with my class. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:26am
post #7 of 12

SugarFrosted ~ Do you ever have a problem with the colors running when using the plastic storage boxes due to the decorated cakes being sealed? If not, I'll have to try that for my most frequent customers.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:21am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

I have a question about the Saran wrap keeping it most. Doesn't that cause the cake to be too soft and make it hard to ice?? Like do the crumbs come off easier? I have a cake to bake today for course I and I'd like to try this new technique and see how it works and share this idea with my class. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

I have read that people cover their entire cake, and the rack it is on, with saran wrap. However, when I flip my cake out onto a rack, I put a paper towel on the rack first, and then I cover only the the exposed cake with Saran Wrap, meaning that I just cover top and sides. Then I put the cake pan back over the saran-covered cake. I always bake about 24 hours before I decorate. After the cake is completely cool, I put it inside a covered plastic storage box, where it stays until time to work on it. I never have problems with it being too soft or too wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

SugarFrosted ~ Do you ever have a problem with the colors running when using the plastic storage boxes due to the decorated cakes being sealed? If not, I'll have to try that for my most frequent customers.

No, I never have had problems with condensation or too much moisture on the cakes. Sometimes, when I make a cake the night before for a morning pick-up, I have had normal problems of dark colors being absorbed by lighter adjacent colors. But I seem to be the only one who even notices that. My clients have told me that the cakes look and taste great days later when they are finishing up the leftovers.

In addition to the Rubbermaid storage boxes used as cake boxes (I flip the box to make the lid be the base) my DH has cut 1/2" plywood to fit the boxes...approx. 11x15 board for a 9x13 cake and approx. 14x20 for a 12x18 cake. I cover the boards with white Contact plastic and then with heavy duty foil. I also provide a smooth-edged server to cut/serve the cake which will not cut into my cakeboards. My clients always bring back my servers, boxes and boards. Recently we found some 16x16x6 storage boxes at Office Depot. They are a perfect size for wedding tiers.

I hope this all makes sense and answers your questions.

Cake4ever Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:21am
post #9 of 12

THANK YOU SO MUCH for answering my question. I went ahead and did it anyway because I was in a hurry to take my kids to karate class. I just got home and checked on the cake and as you said, it's dry enough that crumbs and icing it shouldn't be a problem. Yea! I'll let the other ladies know tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:25am
post #10 of 12

Oopsie, double post! icon_redface.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 12

I don't have any problems either with too much moisture on the cake. I always crumb coat and that takes seals in the loose crumbs.

Hey SugarFrosted ~ thanks for all the great tips! You explained them very clearly.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 12

I also use the plastic storage boxes to transport and deliver my cakes. I just think the regular cake boxes seem too flimsy for a 12x18 cake, which is what I seem to make the most. I've never had a problem with condensation or colors running. The only thing I don't like is the strong plastic smell that some of the boxes have, some more than others. It doesn't seem to have affected the flavor of the cakes, or at least no one's said anything about it, but I worry about that. Maybe my nose is just extra-sensitive and others don't pick up on it. Anyone else ever had that issue?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%