How To Get Fondant Smooth And Even

Decorating By Rhon Updated 25 May 2007 , 1:31am by notjustcake

Rhon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhon Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hello. I was wondering if there is a trick, or even an easier way to make fondant all even, and look smoother? And also, what should the thickness be for the best outcome on cakes.
Thank you!! icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:17am
post #2 of 4

well, im not sure which method you are currently using, but i like using a plastic fondant smoother. they're pretty inexpensive. it also helps to not have too much buttercream under neath the fondant. too much BC will make it look lumpy and bulgy. its a fine line, and you sorta have to just try it and see what works. i like having my fondant about 1/4 inch think. i just eyeball it. i know that some people roll it thinner, to 1/8 inch. hope this helps!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #3 of 4

I actually use a very thick layer of buttercream under all my fondant. If your cake is not smooth it will show tenfold in the fondant. Knead your fondant til it is very smooth. Kneading will make it stretch alot more. I roll mine 1/8 inch thick.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #4 of 4

I recently learned from my cake instructor the buttercream underneath your fondant has to be smooth any bumps or imperfections would only be more noticeable on the fondant. Not too thin fondant would help too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%