Painting On Fondant Using Wilton's Gel Icing Colors

Decorating By Cynita Updated 20 Feb 2014 , 8:20pm by mamabear14

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

I did a test sample of this before doing it on my actual cake. Ok, I painted on the fondant using Wilton's gel icing color. I diluted the gel color with a little water to give me a thin consistency. I then painted it onto the cake using a sponge brush. I did an all black and then I did an aged antique black mixed with brown. I let it dry overnight. I have shiny or glossy finish in some areas and then a dull or matte finish in other areas. Why the inconsistency on the finish? Did adding the water make a difference in the finish? Should I just paint the color on without diluting it?
Oh, by the way I am working on a stacked books cake.

Thanks in advance for all the advice,
Cynita

6 replies
Cynita Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 7

Also, the more that I allow it to dry, would it eventually all dry to a matte finish.

Cynita

Cynita Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 7

bump

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 7

Next time try mixing the gel color w/ vodka - it evaporates more quickly than water.
It will dry to a matte finish. Those shiny areas are not dry yet.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 7

i dont think time will really make it all matte. the glossiness comes probably from a higher concentration of the sugar in the gel. i would suggest diluting it with extract or alcohol like vodka or gin. it will go on more uniformly and probably be glossy all over. if you want to have an aged matte look, you could dust the cover with dark cocoa powder or black powdered color after the paint dries. it will give it a suede or dusty aged look. i did a poetry book, if you want to look it is on the second page of my photos - edgar allen poe/ emily dickinsen ...

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 7

or you could kneed a little black into chocolate fondant

mamabear14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabear14 Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tip i will try this for my up coming cake so it looks shinny and not so dull

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%