To Refrigerate Or Not Refrigerate Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By dusek Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 10:45am by momma28

dusek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dusek Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 10

This is my question guys................. icon_surprised.gif

Once I cover my 3D cake w/fondant, should I refrigerate it or not? will it dry the fondant out? Anyone know?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

A

9 replies
Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 10

I have always been told not to refrigerate, due to condensation. However, the new chocolate fondants I order, CAN be refrigerated.

MMorales11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMorales11 Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 10

To me that depends on how long you are going to leave it out and what kind of filling it has, if any. If you have a filling such as a custard filling or whipping cream filling, then i would not leave it out for more than I need to. But if you have a filling such as Guave that I make, then I'm comfortable leaving it out over night.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 10

Fondant storage:

Google storage of a fondant cake.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

I have done both and preferred it from the fridge as the fondant was a bit firmer but I take it out about an hour before serving. The cake I did not put in the fridge was fine but the fondant was a little softer. I don't notice much difference between either way really and think it's just personal preference with me anyway! And space!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 10

I didn't read all this but I refrigerated a Fondant cake last weekend. No problem

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #7 of 10

How do you store your fondant covered cakes? Plain Cake Box? Plastic Wrap? What's my best bet?

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:43am
post #8 of 10

If you have perishable fillings... yes refridgerate. If your using satin ice they say right on their web page that it may be refrigerated or frozen..... Ive dont it.....icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:05am
post #9 of 10

I always chill my cakes with or without fondant. Helps them firm a little and makes them more stable for delivery. I ordered Fondarific fondant which states it can be frozen for up to one year.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:45am
post #10 of 10

I always refrigerate and have never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%