Collete Peters Bourbon Chocolate Cake / Choco Loco Recipes.

Baking By missjane Updated 8 Nov 2005 , 9:28pm by cuillere

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 23 May 2005 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 5

I can't get her chocolate cake recipes to workicon_sad.gif I have tried twice and they are still flat as a pancake.. The recipe calls for 2 9 inch round pans but I have used 2 8 inch square pans and the cake ends up being only a inch thick in both pans!

Anyone able to use these recipes successfully?

4 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 May 2005 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe that is successful? I've never made these cakes but I've seen Colette assemble some layer cakes and her layers were so thin. I thought she just torted them that way. The recipe only calls for 2 eggs and to bake at 275. Could be because they're going to be thin? I really have no idea. Just some thoughts. How did they taste? How about the texture? What do you think would happen if you put all the batter into one pan?

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 24 May 2005 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your thought lisa.

Funny thing is I think there is a typo in one of her recipes for the chocolate cake. The bourbon recipe lists 1 3/4 cup coffee and this cake did not work at all.. It was rubbery and the batter was extremly runny. ( chocolate milk consistancy).

The choco loco recipe which is in her latest book is exactly the same but with coconut added. (She says you can omit the coconut if you want a true chocolate cake). BUT! the coffee amount in this recipe is 3/4 cup.

The texture of the 2nd cake using less coffee was much better but was flat. I think you are right it probably is supposed to be like that. Next time I will use one pan instead of two .

Thanks Lisa, you are a GEMicon_smile.gif

redstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redstar Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

I wanted to try this cake (from Cakes to Dream On) in smaller pans, 6 x 3 round, and 6 x 3 square. I started out with the suggested 275 degree oven, but increased the temp to 325 after 20 minutes when it appeared that there was not too much going on. I used magic strips and they raised fine, but took longer than the suggested time for the 8 inch pans. I expected that they would since there would be more batter per inch. What I wound up with seems like a cross between a steamed pudding and a typical cake, sort of like a flourless cake. I would love to know what this cake is supposed to end up like. Not sure if I should put them back in the oven for more baking or what. I used the Grand Marnier version and subsituted orange oil for the orange zest. It seems to be holding its shape fine, but I'm sure if I tried to torte it, I would wind up with a mess.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

I made the coco loco cake like 10 times, I use 1 cup of coffee with no bourbon and no cocoa. I agree it comes out kind of different, but my secret is drizzling it with Capri sun jus ! yes I use this technique with all of my cakes. Pour the jus in a spray bottle and spray all the layers after you divide them. This is the same technique French pastry chefs use, that's why you try those pastries, they are moist but not soggy. You don't have to necessarily use Capri sun, you can make your own syrup with any flavor you want. I take one cup of light corn syrup add half a cup of water bring it to a slight simmer, let it cool then add a table spoon of any flavoring I choose and pour in the spray bottle and voila!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%