Duff Is Coming To Rockford, Il!!!! Whoot!!!

Decorating By lauramw71 Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 1:21am by mittmitt

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 28

Not sure how many fans (like myself) we have of Duff and gang, but on October 20 he's coming to Rockford. First he's gunna be at the children's museum, then later at a dinner for "local celebrity decorators" (hey now! I wanna GO but im a nobody decorator LOL). There's more info on it at www.rrstar.com...
I've had one fellow cc'r contact me and wants to go, so if anyone else around this vicinity who wants to go... Let's do it!!!!!!!
Im sooo excited!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif LOL

Laura

27 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:49am
post #2 of 28

Woot, I would love to go if he was in my town!! Have fun, I heard he is a real sweetheart! Jen

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 May 2007 , 6:02am
post #3 of 28

I love Duff and his whole staff! I'm so jealous of you!

Have fun, take pictures and be sure to post all about it.

LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 28

I'm 2-1/2 hours away from Rockford. Do you think it is worth a road trip? I'm really debating, but not sure if we would be guaranteed to actually see him......still debating.....I LOVE DUFF .....

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 28

I couldn't get the link! icon_sad.gif That stinks! I wanna go! How far is Kenosha, WI from there??

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 28

I am SO there...i live about 1 1/2 hours from Rockford, but I think it's worth it to meet DUFF. I'd also be interested in meeting up with anyone from CC who's going too!!! I am so excited.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 28

It looks like my sister needs some company in October icon_biggrin.gif .
She's 15 minutes from Rockford thumbs_up.gif

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 28

I am about 1 1/2 hours away too, I would love to go. I can't get the link either?! icon_lol.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 28

One of my daughters will be getting a visit from her mom in October I guess!!! She lives in Wheaton, Il. so that isn't too far away! Thank you for the heads up. I love watching his show. Not only is he a fantastic artist, but he has a neat sense of humor!

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I couldn't get the link!

I think its because she used the "..." afterwards...just retype it at the top of your browser and it should come up. icon_smile.gif

I wish Duff'd take a trip to Canada...we love him up here too!!!

lauramw71 Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #12 of 28

Thanks for fixin the link... LOL
Looks like we're gunna have a CC party! WHOOT!!!!
I believe Kenosha is bout 2 hours from Rockford? maybe?
Everyone at work thinks Im nuts cuz im tellin em all and they're like who? Im all :O HAHA
Anthony Bourdain from the Travel Channel was here last week and that went over BIG... Im wonderin how this is gunna turn out.. Im thinking it's gunna be a MAD house at the Discovery Center... Im also hoping the tickets for the dinner aren't outrageously expensive and that anyone can go... I tried gettin more info from charm city but they didnt know much. icon_sad.gif So.. just have to see as time gets closer!!

LMo1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMo1964 Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:02am
post #13 of 28

For any one interested in the Discovery Center event with Duff Goldman-I am not only a cake decorating fan and a Duff fan but I am on the planning committee for the Ace of Cakes event at the Discovery Center in Rockford Il. Rockford is located about 90 miles west of Chicago and about 15 miles south of the Wisconsin boarder. Duff will do a show in the afternoon where he will demonstrate some techniques, talk about the science of sugar (the importance of proper viscosity-he has requested a blow torch) and do some Q&A amoung other things. The cost of this is $25. The evening event will consist of a cocktail hour where you mingle with Duff, dinner, a some entertainment and Duff will be the keynote speaker. The cost of this is $85. You can do both for a combined price of
$100. Tickets are available by calling the Discovery Center Mueum.

I had the chance to speak with Duff-he is very sweet and funny. Just like on TV.

lauramw71 Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 28

Thank you SO much for the information!!!!!!

LMo1964 Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 28

No problem. I'll share more as the planning processes continues

lauramw71 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #16 of 28

Are you from Rockford?

Bekah66 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:44am
post #17 of 28

tickets went on sale today!!!!!! Here is the info I received via email:

Quote:
Quote:

They went on sale today -- $25 for afternoon event; $85 for dinner event at
Cliffbreakers; or a combo ticket for $100. We can take charges over the
phone.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #18 of 28

I'll be purchasing my tickets as soon as the Discovery Center opens for business Sunday. Is anyone interested in planning a separate DOS for CC'ers in the area earlier in the day or between the two events? A few of us 'locals' could put our heads together to plan something fun!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:51am
post #19 of 28

I was able to get the link by deleting the last 3 periods. That takes you to the Rockford news paper site and did a search for Duff Goldman...
neat...

whittydoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whittydoodle Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 28

Ahhh I live about 4 hours from there, I love Duff and his team! They are soo great, I have not missed one episode of his show! I don't think I will be able to make it cause I will have to work! BOOO! Make sure you tell us all about it when you get back!

LMo1964 Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 28

Yes, I am from Rockford.

kelli60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelli60 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 28

My cousin and I plan on going, we live in the Bartlett area.

kelli60 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:03pm
post #23 of 28

I just found this,

Ace of Cakes Rockin' Rockford

Discovery Center Museum is celebrating cake this Fall with the man who is redefining cakeDuff Goldman. Known to Food Network Channel fans as the Ace of Cakes, Goldman is famous for his elegantly freaky cake designs and intricate decorating details. Goldman will be featured in the annual Discovery Center fundraiser on October 20, 2007.

Goldman will provide a demonstration and talk in the afternoon. Reservations for the afternoon event are $25 per person. There will be a cake decorating competition (for amateurs and professionals) to be held the afternoon of October 20, with the Ace of Cakes as judge! Check our website again soon for details on the cake decorating contest.

The evenings event will be held at Cliffbreakers Restaurant and Banquet facility. Enjoy good food and a high energy, humorous presentation by Duff. The events will also feature a silent auction, raffle, local celebrity cake decorating contest and more. The evening event at Cliffbreakers is $85 per person. For $100, people can reserve both the afternoon and evening events.

Call 815-972-2834 for more information or to make reservations.

Goldman trained at the Culinary Institute of America in Greystone, California. Hes worked in big-time kitchens like Napa Valleys renowned French Laundry and at the tender age of 23 became executive pastry chef at Colorados Vail Cascade hotel. Today he has his own business, and hires only artists to work in his Charm City Cakes bakery in Baltimore. To learn more about Goldman and Charm City Cakes, log on to charmcitycakes.com.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 28

I've decided to take on the task of planning a separate DOS for any/all CCers who are interested for October 21st. Right now, I need to get an idea of size so I can look for a place to hold it. If you have already purchased your ticket(s) or are planning to do so, or even if you aren't coming to see Duff but want to come on the 21st, please PM me with your email address & # of people coming with you. As I get your info, I'll add you to an email list that I will use to distribute developments about the day.

Lauramw71, any interest in helping me put this together? icon_biggrin.gif LMo1964?

hernackner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hernackner Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 28

I am sooo jealous of all of you that are able to attend. Mass is too far to travel from even to see my cake idol!

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:55am
post #26 of 28

do you know how long the tickets will b on sale?

kelli60 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #27 of 28

I'm not sure, I guess until they sell out. Let us know if you're going, maybe we can all meet up.

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:21am
post #28 of 28

hopefully tickets will still be available at the end of the month, but if i can get tickets i'm definatly going

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%