Pasta Machine For Decorating

Decorating By Gtiki Updated 29 May 2007 , 4:05pm by aobodessa

Gtiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gtiki Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 15

I am looking for a quality pasta machine to use for sugar paste. I have read a few reviews on other sites and some fall apart easy. Please post your success/faliure thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif with either the manual crank or motorized pasta machines. Thanks.

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 May 2007 , 6:10am
post #2 of 15

They have an inexpensive one in craft stores with the clay products.

The cooks version is heavier, costs around $50, manual not motorized.

I use a pasta attachment with my kitchenaid, it works great. I also have a regular, manual pasta roller that I like just fine.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 15

I have a cheap one from the craft store. Haven't used it on fondant/cake decorating, but have used it extensively for polymer clay crafting and it has lasted for years with me dropping it and throwing it in a box.

Glad to hear the KA attachment works well. I received a heavy duty KA for an early bday present and it had to go back to the store last night because it could not handle my cookie dough. I got an upgrade to the pro 600 series or something (thanks hubby!) and it came with a free attachment. Pasta roller of course will be my choice! Can't wait to roll fondant with it!

Gtiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gtiki Posted 25 May 2007 , 11:58am
post #4 of 15

YES replies, thanks!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 15

I bought a manual crank one from IKEA (do they have these in US?) It was cheap and works fine, it has an adjustable thing on it so you can roll it out to a variety of thicknesses. Never had a problem with it.

butters7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butters7 Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 15

I just bought a new manual one on ebay w/5 attachments for $11 - should be getting it anyday! I'll let you know how it works for me.

I plan on using for fondant as well.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 15

I also have the cheaper version of a hand crank from the craft store. I like it and it seems to work just fine for me. I wanted to buy the attachment for the KA as well, but I am trying this out to see if I will use it enough to justify the cost of the attachment.

Emma- YES WE DO HAVE IKEA!!!! And girl you can spend a ton of $$ there, can't you? So many cool things at great prices! icon_lol.gif

-Michelle

MichelleM77 Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

I bought a manual crank one from IKEA (do they have these in US?) It was cheap and works fine, it has an adjustable thing on it so you can roll it out to a variety of thicknesses. Never had a problem with it.

IKEA is my favorite store!! I have to drive 2-1/2 hours to Pittsburgh (the closest one), but it's definitely worth it. icon_smile.gif I had no idea they had a pasta roller there. One more thing to put on my Ikea Wish List!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:03am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters7

I just bought a new manual one on ebay w/5 attachments for $11 - should be getting it anyday! I'll let you know how it works for me.

I plan on using for fondant as well.

Could you please post a link to the one you bought on ebay for 11 bucks?

The "cheap" ones they sell at craft stores (or at Michaels, anyway) in the clay section are ~ $60. I could get one to put on my KA for that much moolah.

I want an inexpensive hand-crank version with a fettucini attachment so I can make tons of perfect strips for a quilling cake I'm going to do.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 29 May 2007 , 6:15am
post #10 of 15

No way......$60??? The one at my Michael's and Joann's is around $25 or $30 and I used my 40% off coupon. It was under $15 after the coupon if I remember right.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 15

Haha, yeah, I kid you not. It's $59.99! I wonder if Hobby Lobby carries them.

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 15

Do you have a Tuesday Morning store near you? I noticed several pasta machines in ours this weekend. Almost bought one that was about $17 listed with a retail price of $49.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 15

Michael's with a 40% off coupon. Works great!

Debbie

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

No way......$60??? The one at my Michael's and Joann's is around $25 or $30 and I used my 40% off coupon. It was under $15 after the coupon if I remember right.

I think this is the one that MichelleM77 is talking about.

Vicky

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0037&channelid=

This might be the $60.00 one you are talking about.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0587&channelid=

edited to add the second link thumbs_up.gif

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 15

I have a basic, hand-crank version ("Past Queen" I think), that I believe I bough from the local Meijer store. I would think you can find one at K-mart, Wal-mart or even Kohl's ... any store with a halfway decent kitchen section should have one. Mine will do flat sheets and (I think) perhaps linguine-style strips that I could use fro a quilling cake. I have used mine exclusively for gumpaste and I truly love it. My biggest problem is that I don't get a lot of call for gumpaste, but I have the equipment ... JUST IN CASE!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%