Though It Has Been Discussed A Billion Times Before...

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm by DelightsByE

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:31am
post #1 of 17

What do I do? It's been two weeks since I contracted to do this wedding cake and I have not received a deposit. I have to make 40-50 white gumpaste roses, fondant pearls, not to mention I have to order some of the ingredients. The bride or her mother are supposed to be sending me a picture of the back of her wedding dress because they wanted me to imitate a part of it in the cake and they are supposed to tell me the other kind of flower in her bouquet.

They give the reason I haven't received a deposit as they're waiting for a check from her father who is in Hawaii. icon_confused.gif The wedding is a month away on Sunday and I am going to Texas a week before the wedding for the convention. It's my first wedding cake and is in a big venue with a lot of exposure to other potential clients, so I don't want to have to do a slapstick job if they don't get me what I need til the last minute.

icon_mad.gif

HELP ME!

Rachel

16 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:31am
post #2 of 17

I had this problem, I sent the person an email saying if I don't hear from you buy this date.... I will not be able to make your cake for you. Then it's up to them. If they come to you after the date don't back down, people have to realize how much time, effort, and money goes into a wedding cake and that it isn't a last minute thing.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 17

i would start on those flowers even before getting a deposit, there going to take awhile. And if you don't end up doing the cake you can always use the flowers elsewhere, as they will keep well. I, too, agree with the email get them moving, its not your problem that they are waiting on a check.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 17

I agree about the deadline and going ahead with the flowers. If they don't come up with the deposit by your deadline, You can either decline the cake, or charge them a "late fee", or do it anyway. If you have the flowers already in the works, you have more freedom to decide. And the flowers won't go to waste.

I made 400 royal icing rosebuds in 3 colors about 6 years ago. I didn't need as many as I thought. They have come in handy for all sorts of things.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 17

Besides an e-mail, I would also call them and be sure they call you back, so they can't use the excuse their computer was not working! If you have to leave a message, again give them a cut-off date. Did they sign a contract with you?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 17

I always take a deposit to reserve the date. If they do not make a deposit before someone else does they are out of luck. I have never had anyone not give the deposit directly after the consultation.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 17

Maybe suggest they pay you for the deposit now and then have the father reimburse them later. I'd be nervous too. That's a lot of work without the guarantee of some money in your hand. icon_confused.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 17

I agree with the others about the deadline...

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 17

I personally wouldn't start anything until a deposit is received. My contract clearly states that a deposit must be made to reserve your date. If deposit is not in hand when the contract is signed then I'm not obligated to make their cake and I can't promise to hold the date for them.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #10 of 17

absolutely. don't start any work until you have a deposit. and I think at least a portion of the deposit should be non-refundable to cover any costs you've incurred even if they cancel at some point. but within 2-3 weeks prior to the date, you should have full payment. if the wedding is a month away, you need to get all the money now.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:05am
post #11 of 17

I got married coming up on two years ago, and I had my cake done by someone who did it out of her home. I signed a contract with her. She required a deposit of 1/2 to reserve the date, and the other 1/2 was due 2 weeks before the wedding. I also had a refundable deposit on her borrowed supplies (cake support, boards etc.) that she held onto until they were returned (which had to be within 1 week). Unfortunatly, the place it was held lost one of the boards so she kept the check but didn't cash it until I was back from my honeymoon. I then sent her a check for the lost board and she tore up my supplies deposit check. I thought it was a good system and it worked for me as a bride, I didn't have to worry about getting her the payment on my wedding day or anything. I know it might be too late for this wedding, but you might want to try something like that next time. Then there is no confusion!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:15am
post #12 of 17

You should have a signed contract and a non-refundable deposit in hand, before you invest any time or money in a cake order. Any wedding cake should be paid in full well before the wedding date (I do 2 weeks). I know what you're thinking, and want to be prepared, but time is money, and until you have something in writing and a check, it's not a done deal.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 17

I wouldn't start any work yet. They need to pay the deposit first, and nope, no guaranteed date until they do. It's within a month of the wedding? The whole thing should be paid in the next two weeks. Excuses now mean excuses later. If you back down, you will regret it, you may well deliver a cake and never get payment.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 4:08am
post #14 of 17

Well, I sent her an e-mail explaining that I needed the deposit immediately and that the rest had to be paid 2 weeks later. She wrote me back and said she would send it out yesterday (Thursday June 29th). So, I should get it tomorrow. The rest is due 2 weeks before the wedding. I have a contract and I am not doing a ton of cakes right now, so the chance someone else asks for that date is slim, it's just the principle that bothers me.

Rachel

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #15 of 17

Don't worry about it......it would bother anybody. At least now you know that you can get started.....after tomorrow of course.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 17

What I'd do is:

Hello X -
A 30% (or whatever) deposit is required to hold your date. I've received another inquiry for the same day and want to know if I can tell the other person if I'm available or not. If I do not receive your deposit by X-date, I will assume you've made other arrangements for your cake.
Thank you,
Rachel

So what if it's a fib! Not that I condone fibbing, but sometimes a good fib will force someone to make a move.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 17

well I suppose I should have read all the posts first icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%