Jazzing Up Cake Mix Cakes

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 4:45pm by Loucinda

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 23

I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts here. I am one of those WEIRD people who do NOT like cakes from scratch. I like the consistant outcome of a boxed cake mix. I just have thrown out too many cakes because they were too dry, or too tastless...so especially when I'm making a cake for someone else, I like the tried and true box cake.
Now...my question is this...I am bored with the regular yellow, lemon, white, and chocolate cake flavors of mixes. How do I find GOOD recipes for making more EXOTIC flavors for my cake mix cakes? My favorite box cake is the one I learned about at my original Wilton Classes...the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe mixed with Betty Crocker Pound Cake. Is there a wonderful book out there that helps with making new flavors for box cake mixes, or a website? Thanks for your help in advance!
Mindy icon_razz.gif

22 replies
iluvcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes27 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 23

The Cake Mix Doctor books are really good...Just made a very yummy strawberry cake from that book...There's also the chocolate cake mix doctor and the cupcake doctor in the series. I own the cupcake and the cake doctor and have used recipes in both and they are excellent. All the recipes start with a cake mix. There is a lot of good tips, and party ideas in them as well as which cake go best with which celebration. They are also affordable and I got mine at Target, but have seen them in all the major book store chains as well.. thumbs_up.gif

tschamberlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tschamberlain Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 23

I agree, the Cake Mix Doctor book is great! I've gotten nothing but rave reviews with every one I've tried so far. The basic butter cake is my staple, and I've had lots of fun with different flavors in my buttercream. I made small pineapple cakes with pina colada frosting for a luau and everyone LOVED them.
icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 23

I also recommend the Cake Doctor books...I have the Cake Mix Doctor and the Cupcake Doctor. They both have great recipes which jazz up cake mixes, some are exotic and some are just old fashioned comfort food. I think you will be very please when you have a look through them.

There are also some excellent recipes which start with cake mixes, right here on CC!

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:53am
post #5 of 23

Thanks, ladies! I knew I could count on you to steer me in the right direction! thumbs_up.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:57am
post #6 of 23

just go to http://www.cakemixdoctor.com and have fun!!!

Lorris

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:00am
post #7 of 23

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....Thanks, Lorris! I'm on there right NOW looking! I had NO idea this was available...what fun! Thanks so much!

Pootchi Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:04am
post #8 of 23

You're very welcome!!! Here it's always cake mixes. Customers don't like scratch cakes, but I'm always looking to try new flavors. it'S my bible!!!

glad to help you!!!

Lorris

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:10am
post #9 of 23

Go to www.duncanhines.com

They have all kind of recipes using box cake mixes

Pootchi Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:12am
post #10 of 23

Yea, I forgot that one also. I have the cookbook from them too. Great recipes!!!! thanks for the reminder!!!

Lorris

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:14am
post #11 of 23

I'm totally going to adapt that key lime/coconut recipe for a cake this week! I bought a bag of key limes, so we'll see how much juice I get out of them....I'll have to play with the filling though...perhaps just make a key lime buttercream....mmmm

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:19am
post #12 of 23

Recipe for mixing DH Moist Deluxe with BC pound cake mix .... want to share ? I don't have that one Thanks !

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:31am
post #13 of 23

No real recipe...our instructor always told us to follow the directions on the DH Moist Deluxe box and then mix it TOGETHER with BC Pound Cake ( following the recipe on the back of that box) and you will have a better tasting cake, and a MUCH better texture than JUST the DH cake mix alone. It's a bit heavier than just using the DH yellow by itself. It gives you more cake to work with too if you are making tiered cakes. I have had SO many compliments using these 2 cake mixes together! People swear it's a scratch cake. Try it out and let me know how you like it! It's ALL I use now!
Mindy

marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:36am
post #14 of 23

I recommend the cake mix doctor books also. I also love the Duncan Hines Book. The strawberry cake, turtle cake, and ever so moist cakes from CMD are very good.

LizAnn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:54am
post #15 of 23

Thanks, Mindy ! Now that I think of it, I think this is the recipe that's recommended to do sculpted and 3D cakes because it gives a firmer texture, but still tastes great Is that the DH Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden cake mix?

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:25am
post #16 of 23

I use the Classic Yellow Cake Mix, bu thave used Lemon before, and it's the same good textues and moistness. I was toldyou can use ANY version of the DH as long as it's the Moist Deluxe. We were told NEVER to use the mixes with the pudding already in the mix....it's jsut not firm enough.
Mindy

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:32am
post #17 of 23

i have the cake doctor book and love it! but, i have been afraid to try them in my "decorated cakes".. what if they are too moist or heavy?

LizAnn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:57am
post #18 of 23

Mindy .... I never use anything other than the DH butter so I'll try this recipe ... thanks for the info !

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:15pm
post #19 of 23

If you go to www.recipegoldmine.com there is a section there for "cake mix" cakes too - with some good ideas. Glad to see there is another one of us who loves the cake mix way of life. icon_wink.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks for the site Quadcrew. There are so many things on there that are usefull.

Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 23

You're welcome - it is one of my favorite cooking sites too. icon_biggrin.gif

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:39pm
post #22 of 23

Thank you, Quadcrew! What an OUTSTANDING site! This is JUST what I was looking for.. I can't beleive how many different recipes they have for cake mix cakes!
Mindy

Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:45pm
post #23 of 23

Glad to help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%