Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes...school Fundraiser...packaging?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 25 May 2007 , 10:25pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 19

I want to make those cupcakes you make in ice cream cones for a school fund raiser. Trying to figure out how to package them, cover them, etc. Only thing I could think of is shallow carboard box covered in foil, inverted with holes cut in them to set them down in. So they don't fall over. Then how to cover them?? They want them on the 1st to sell on the 4th and I think that is too long.... stale....

18 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 19

if you have a Sam's nearby you might call them and see if they sell the cupcake inserts that they use when they package theirs. I have heard that Sam's is selling more and more of their stuff like that

Jopalis Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:01am
post #3 of 19

thanks!

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 24 May 2007 , 6:32am
post #4 of 19

i havnt seen cubcakes in ice cream cones! do you have a picture?

Jopalis Posted 24 May 2007 , 7:06am
post #5 of 19

Sometimes the url's change on the pictures so look under a CC lady named MeghanB... look at her pictures.... There are some that look like ice cream cones... they are cupcakes.... Cake Doctor book has directions...

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 24 May 2007 , 7:37am
post #6 of 19

I have found that after about 24hrs the cones go soggy, but that is in Queensland with high humidity. hth

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 19

I saw a topic about this before. I would invert a box that cola cans come in, Like how you want to do it.

You need to tell them that, you cannot deliver them on the 1st to be sold on the 4th, they will be no good by then.
You could make some and take a picture as an example and then the person that buys them could decide how they want them decorated and you can deliver them to the buyer fresh.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 19

In my pictures I have what I did for my DD's ice cream cone cupcakes. I used a mailing box and cut out x's on the top and just set them in. If you wanted an enclosed box you could get a smaller box to cut the x's out and then put it in a larger cake box. HTH.

Jopalis Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 19

They are for a bake sale.... Dropping them off the day of the sale. Yes, I did see the Priority wrapped box and that is what I will do to hold them. May just get a bakery box to set that inside..... Thanks. You are all so helpful! I appreciate it very much.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 19

Do you bake your cake batter in the ice cream cones? Sounds interesting! Are there directions on cc to make these? I haven't found any tutorials on here.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 19

Here is a couple links to cupcake cone recipes. There are tons more if you do a search on the web=) HTH some, Jen

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=36264

http://baking.about.com/od/cakes/r/cupcakecones.htm

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

In my pictures I have what I did for my DD's ice cream cone cupcakes. I used a mailing box and cut out x's on the top and just set them in. If you wanted an enclosed box you could get a smaller box to cut the x's out and then put it in a larger cake box. HTH.

yes, the x's in an upside down box inside a cake box will work well. or, if you set them in a box, you can stagger them so they fit snug up against the walls of the box, glue the cones down with a dab of icing to help. they will start to fall though once some are taken out, so the x's will work better i think.

i agree, 3 days is much too long. same day is best, one day early at most, but these really dont take long.i did 3 dozen the other day in two hours. that was making two different scratch recipes, making bc, decorating and boxing.

to the poster who asked for a photo:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=551323

and for instructions:
set cones in a mini cupcake pan, fill just to the point where it fills the bottom half (where the narrow part stops and the wide ridge starts), about 2 tb of batter so they wont overflow. bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, test with a toothpick. cool, use a wilton tip 1m to make a nice swirl of buttercream, add sprinkles right away so they stick (i do it almost after each one, otherwise they hardly stick) and top with a sour cherry ball or real cherry or red gum ball. thats it. easiest cupcakes i've ever made and you can make about 3 dozen on one batch of batter.

melysa Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 19
Jopalis Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 19

I use Cake Doctor but I'm sure the other directions, recipes are the same. Yes, the box with "x's" cut in sounds great. I have some clean Priority Boxes and will cover them with foil. See if I can get a cake box to put that down in... I have tried giving url's to pictures to folks and for some reason the url's change. I did a search for a particular theme one time. Posted all the url's to my friend and when she clicked on them, they had changed to another photo. I thought maybe as new ones are added the url's change... Not sure? Meghan's cupcakes do look really nice. My daughter loves these so I figure they will be a good seller. School is only selling for 50 & 75 cents ...oh well. They could get more but whatever.... I will drop off day of the bake sale. Thanks.

TaraRowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraRowan Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:39am
post #15 of 19

An important tip with these (I learned the hard way icon_redface.gif )
Wrap the bottom of the cone in foil before baking or the bottom of the cone will burn way before the cupcake is baked.
i was going to make these for my daughter's playgroup next week. glad I'm getting ideas on how to get them there!!!

tara

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:02pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRowan

An important tip with these (I learned the hard way icon_redface.gif )
Wrap the bottom of the cone in foil before baking or the bottom of the cone will burn way before the cupcake is baked.
i was going to make these for my daughter's playgroup next week. glad I'm getting ideas on how to get them there!!!

tara

Just the bottom..not the whole cone? I thought it would burn also. Do the cones stay crisp too? Someone posted hers got soggy but there was high humidity..just wondering since we're getting into the summer.

melysa Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 19

i made these twice this week and ignored the request on the recipe to do foil. neither times did mine burn or even get browned...i guess it may depend on the type of pan you use? i did mine at 350 for about 18-20 minutes in a new non stick mini muffin pan.

regarding soggy...if you put them in the fridge, that might increase the chances. if its rainy...hmm

after about 12-24 hours mine got slightly soft. its rained here the last time i made them so humid i guess. its texas.

melysa Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #18 of 19

(but they still tasted good!)

recipe says to make and eat the same day for best results. ...from the back of the cone box.

Jopalis Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 19

Mine never burned either when I made them in the past. But then I surround the cone base with foil to hold them up straight while baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%