For Those With Kitchen Aide Mixers What Type Do You Have?

Baking By manyacakes Updated 8 Jul 2006 , 2:40am by manyacakes

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 31

i currently have th 4.5 qt one and i would like to get a heavier duty one. with this one i can only use 5-6 cups of flour. i can't double most of my cookie recipes with this one.

thanks,
manya

30 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 31

I have the 5qt one. I LOVE it. Sometimes I want the 6qt one since my imbc frosting recipe sometimes overflows and makes a mess....but mostly my 5qt is great, and I doubt I'd ever trade it in.

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 31

I am new to cookie making and I'm going to try my hand at some watermelon cookies in a few weeks. Do I abosolutely need a KitchenAid mixer? I wll buy one eventually, but I don't want to waste my money on one if I decide that I don't like cookie making as much as I think I will. I just have a hand mixer and a food processor right now. Will any of those work?

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 31

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It mixes giant meringue BC recipes that fill it to the top without overflowing, and it is strong enough to do quadruple recipes of Wilton icing with no problem, any dough I want to do, etc.

I use it all the time, sometimes several times a day.

The only down side to it is that it's not very useful for doing small things, like whipping 3 eggs. The bowl is just too big. So I keep thinking, I need a small mixer too...haha, just a little cute one, maybe some fun color...

If I had to choose, though, I'd keep the six and hand mix the eggs.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 31

I have a KA that is about 15 yrs old and has been worked to death! LOL It is only the 4.5 qt one, but I use it for everything from meat loaf to mashed potatoes to cakes. A couple of years ago, I got a Delongi 7 quart and I love the size of the bowl, but it is not as nice as my KA. As soon as KA comes out with a 10 qt, I am getting it!!!!!! LOL

btaylor76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btaylor76 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 31

I have a 6qt and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I got it on Ebay for 189.00 (actually, my DH bought it on Ebay for my Birthday). I've always made huge batches of cookies using a hand mixer and a wooden spoon. With this, I have no fear of carpul tunnel syndrome.

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 31

I won mine in a raffle (I know, I was excited) so mine's a Classical, I believe 4 or 5 qt. I really like it- when I make cookies the floor flys out of the bowl, but I've learned to live with it.

I would recommend...the professional series with the handle on the side that moves the bowl up and down. I was going to get a pro 5, but hey, I can't complain. The space between the bowl and the neck is bigger...so it's much easier to add flour and such while the mixer is going.

In answer to fragglerock1....

A hand mixer will be a work out. Once your start adding the flour, it gets thick. I would cut the batch in half for the first time- if your using the no fail recipe. I feel that getting one would be worth the money. I use mine for cakes, cookies, biscuits, just about anything I need to mix.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.
Steph

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 31

I'm on my second Kitchen Aid mixer, it's only 30 years old. They only came in one size in those days. I gave my old one- it had a glass bowl to a friend who used that one heavily for about five more years before it died-she cursed me over the phone for having spoiled her and then made her husband go out and get a new one for her. I may not use mine daily but I would rather not give it up. I have some attachments for it; the only one I use regularly is the grinder, sometimes the slicer. I owned a food processer for about a year and gave that puppy away because it just took up space and the Kitchen Aid does most things as well or better with a few attachments. I also own one of the first Hand mixers kitchen Aid came out with and it is still going strong. I used to kill a hand mixer about every two or three years.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 31

I have the 4.5 qt. classic KA mixer. I LOVE it. I can mix a double batch of bc without a problem. I have mixed 3, but it's been a tight squeeze. Since I am just doing this as a hobby I don't think I need the bigger one. Oh, I also LOVE the fact that the bowl does NOT raise and lower. No hassle, just twist and unlock!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 31

I have the 6qt. professional that I received as a wedding present!

I've been using KA practically all my life. My mom had a 20+ year old classic that she gave to my sister when we bought her a 5qt. artisan for her birthday this year...

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 31

I have the Professional 5 in cobalt blue icon_wink.gif

5 quart bowl, the book says max 7 cups of flour. I use it for everything I can ! KA is great.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 31

My mom bought me a professional series with the handle on the side to move the bowl up and down and I did NOT like it. I felt the head was always in the way. I traded her for her 15 yr old Classic and use it at least 4 days a week. I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a larger bowl.

txdiann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txdiann Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:20am
post #13 of 31

I have the 6 qt pro. I LOVE it! We usually get money for Christmas and my husband gave up his to allow me to get it! I wouldn't trade for anything, and I would recommend any KA if you don't think you need the pro get a smaller one, but you won't ever beat the power with anything else.

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:30am
post #14 of 31

I have the 6 qt professional. I love it! Everytime I use it I tell DH I love my KA. He got it for Christmas last year.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:31am
post #15 of 31

artisan ok i thought u meant the name i think i have a 6qt

nutellasandwiches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutellasandwiches Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #16 of 31

I'm in love with my KA 6qt in Onyx Black.
I had an accolad/artisan but exchanged it for a larger, more powerful one.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 31

oops I meant that we bought our mom a pink ACCOLADE...

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 31

I have the kind that tilts back and love it! It's easy to scrape the sides, add ingredients and it powerful enough to do anything I've asked it to. I've made a buttercream that asks for 3lbs of confectioners sugar and it does it with no problem. My only thing about it that I would improve is getting an extra bowl or two!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 31

I forgot to mention that mine is not the artisan, it is the one that is 300 watts, stronger than the artisan. My Mom went to try to buy an artisan and found it didn't work correctly out of the box- it made an aweful racket. She went back to the store (Bed Bath & Beyond, I think) and went through the rest of them with the sales lady. ALL of them made the horrible lound noise- not like it should have. She and I, and my two sisters in law all have the 300 watt and are all very happy with them.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:25am
post #20 of 31

I have two, the Artisan and a Professional 6. Love them! I also have a KA handmixer.

I use the Artisan daily, but bring out the big one and use both at Christmas when I do massive baking.

I love these products, they are real workhorses.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:37am
post #21 of 31

We have a Red Artisian and a refurb. honeysuckle 4.5 qt.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:39am
post #22 of 31

i have the cranberry artisan. it's really bright pink (see avatar icon_lol.gif ) i love it, it's not tooooo big that i can't move it if i have to, and it's strong enough to mix everything i want (mmf, double batch BC, etc.) oh, and it comes with a wicked mashed potatoes recipe. lol.

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasidus1

i have the cranberry artisan. it's really bright pink (see avatar icon_lol.gif ) i love it, it's not tooooo big that i can't move it if i have to, and it's strong enough to mix everything i want (mmf, double batch BC, etc.) oh, and it comes with a wicked mashed potatoes recipe. lol.

Would you mind sharing your wicked mashed potato recipe??? icon_biggrin.gif I love mashed potatoes !!!

I just have the classic 4.5qt mixer and still love it. At the time my mom & dad bought it for my birthday, it was $169 at walmart and I didn't really need anything else bigger. I kind of wish I had a little more powerful one, but this one will do me fine. I am glad someone posted on here they didn't like the one that went up and down. I always thought I wouldn't like that either.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 31

I have the pro series 6qt. series in cinnamon to match my kitchen.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:49am
post #25 of 31

Gosh, I don't know what you would call mine, I got it as a present several years back but have hardly used it until about a year ago. It has the handle that you have to crank up and down and has a pretty big bowl. I love it, but I told my husband that I need another one to make icing in (he doesn't know that I really don't need a second one), and right now I am coveting Alton Browns flamed KA!

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:58am
post #26 of 31

cranberry artisan...works for me. some people say they like the pro with more power. maybe since i am a beginner i haven't found need for the pro. i love my pink one.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #27 of 31

I have 2 KAs, both are 5 qt professional, with bowl-lift. One was a gift (grey), and the other I bought for myself (white) so I could use both and do twice as much in the same amount of time. I love them! I am not sure I could ever accept another kind of mixer. Unless someone wants to give me a couple of 6 qt pros icon_smile.gif

I love Alton Brown's flaming KA too icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:37am
post #28 of 31

I have 2 5 quart tilt heads. one ultra power and one classic. my mom bought me one over 10 years ago(works like it was brand new) and one I bought about 4 years ago. Was looking at them at bed bath and beyond last night...I thought the pink one was cute....I could see the things lined up on my counter like cars in a car lot....one of every color.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:34pm
post #29 of 31

I have an Ultra Power, and an Artisan. I think one is 5qt and 1 is 6. My hubby bought me one for my bd about 3 yrs ago and two months later I used my Christmas money to buy the other one, both white. LOVE LOVE LOVE 'EM!!!!! But am wondering about the pro that lifts the bowl, and I'm also very curious about those Vikings I've been seeing on Food Network, etc. Course I'd be fine if I just had 2 more bowls for my KA's!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:38pm
post #30 of 31

I have the White one, 300 Watts, 4 qt bowl. I wanted a bigger one but couldn't afford it back then.

the only had two colors, black and white, so I got the white one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%