Wilton Food Writers???

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 8:09am by SarahJane

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:42am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone used the Wilton food writers with any success?

I made some cookies and wanted to write on them so I bought the neon color writers with fine point. I only tried the black, but the writing looks like I wrote with a magic marker that is almost dried out. You can read it but it's not a clear black at all. Sort of grey.

I tried to retrace a couple of times, but that just made a mess.

Did I just get an old set or are they junk?

11 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 12

Don't know the answer....but here is a bump.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 12

never used Wilton, but I love the writers they sell on the KopyCake site. (don't remember the brand...will have to look) If you look at my blackberry cake, I did al the writing with them, and they turned out great! I have only used them on Fondant though..never on buttercream.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 12

i had the same results with the wilton writers. I switched to the americolor writers, and haven't had a problem with them.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 12

I've used them a couple of times, mostly for the cat face cookies I've done (pic of cookie bouquet is in my photos).

I liked them for what I was doing, but I think it would have been hard to do detailed writing on them.

Also, I used Antonia's icing on the cookies, and even after it had firmed up, I had to be careful to use light pressure with the markers so I didn't get grooves in the icing.

I do plan to try some of the Americolor ones in the future, but haven't gotten them yet . . .

hth!
Laura.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 12

I really like the Americolor writers.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 12

I have the Wilton ones too. They work okay on fondant, although for "fine tip" they don't turn out very "fine" - a lot thicker than I would have liked. But I found they are terrible on cookies, they just can't handle the texture.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog

I really like the Americolor writers.

We have the Americolor Gourmet Food Writers in the CakeCentral Store thumbs_up.gif

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 12

The wilton writers are ok. I use them on my colorflow and royal iced cookies, but I would love to try the americolor ones.

stephanie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie73 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 12

I used the Wilton writers on the side of a MMF wedding cake and it worked out great. The writing was not as fine as I would have liked but the overall look was good. I went over the writing twice to achieve a darker black.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 12

Hey Stephanie from Burlington, we're practically neighbours! I'm from Cambridge. Your wedding cake with the writing on is very cool - that's an awesome idea!

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:09am
post #12 of 12

I used the wilton pens on a fondant cake to write happy birthday and I thought it looked really cute. I also used them to put spots on my little fondant ladybugs that I just did this weekend and they turned out cute too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%