Celebration Of Life Cake

Decorating By marcimang Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 11:47am by springlakecake

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #1 of 6

I need an idea for a cake. A lady at my church is dying of cancer. They don't expect her to make it another two weeks. She wants a celebration of life party at our church to say farewell and share what God has done for her thru this time. We are not sure she will be able to attend but they are planning like she will, her family will be there for sure. Her only request is balloons and a cake. I really want this to be special- Any ideas?

5 replies
nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:47am
post #2 of 6

A cross cake (Wilton pan) covered in fondant. A bouquet of flowers in the middle of the cross, with fondant/gumpaste butterflies to accent the cake. A really elegant border around the bottom, and use some pearl luster dust on the cake. Just my idea. HTH

~Nicole

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:51am
post #3 of 6

Two things come to mind.
First a celebration of life brought to mind flowers, garden, spring like things.
My next thought was the new Wilton separators. You can put pictures (wallet size) in them all around the cake as a divider. Pictures of her life-her youth, with her children, and grandchildren.

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #4 of 6

I am a volunteer with Hospice and most of our terminally ill clients like anything that represents "life" like plants/flowers/lakes, birds/butterflies - anything that is free and alive. A great favorite are small children playing, or something they enjoyed doing when they were healthier.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #5 of 6

What size is the cake you are doing?

Find out some of things she likes - sewing, reading (you can make fondant items)- When she got married , kids and grandkids (if any)make a fondant plaque with her and her husband name and wedding date). Maybe get some pictures (wedding day, her kids, vacation, church function) that can be copied and you can sealed. You can a design with these items. This way people can see her life and how she enjoyed be with family and friends.

If she had a favorite flower or color incorporate this into it. Even if she it not able to attend. I am sure her family will appreciate see her part of life be shown to those who cared.

Maybe people from the church can bring a picture of her that they to share with everyone. Ask if it can be framed and have a index card explaining the picture. Her family may like to see that just as much and she may love seeing some old and new pictures that she with friends and family.

The framed pictures can be put on the cake table or one close by. Just a suggestion to go with your cake.
Good luck

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:47am
post #6 of 6

I just got the Wilton Tiered Cakes book. They have one in there called "Words to Love By" They use those seperators that NEWTODECORATING described for photos. I think they are called Tailored Tiers Cake display set. The cake is meant for an anniversary I think but they wrote words in different tip sizes and printing styles all around the cake (it kind of reminds me of something you'd see on a scrapbook page) You could use words or phrases that describe this person all around the sides of the cake. It is pretty cool, but lots of writing (scary I know!) Maybe people could bring in photos to surround the cake. Good luck! I'd love to see what you come up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%