Help!! Re: Corners Of 11X15 Cake Getting Overbaked!!

Decorating By love2decor8 Updated 22 May 2007 , 6:45pm by JanH

love2decor8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2decor8 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the corners of a larger cake from getting wayyyy too hard during cooking??

I use the "Darn Good Chocolate Cake" recipe which makes the recommended amount of batter for my 11x15 pan. It cooks at 325 degrees for roughly 50 minutes. The problem is.......when the cake is done cooling, the corners are rock hard while the rest of the cake is super moist!! Any suggestions??

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 7

I always bake layers 10" and larger w/ an inverted flower nail (for 11x15 I'd probably use 2). It helps distribute the heat more evenly so the edges don't get overbaked.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

When I make sheet cakes, I always use the bake even strips and it helps a lot.

But I've never made the DGCC, so don't know if this recipe might be another factor.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 7

If I notice a cake browning too quickly, I loosely cover it with grease-proof paper to prevent it from over browning . Try covering it 15 minutes towards the end of baking time.Simply place the paper LOOSELY over the cake. icon_smile.gif

dusek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dusek Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, I use the magic bake even strips from wilton...........works every time. However, on my bigger cakes (anything bigger than 10 in) I ALSO use the Wilton heating core..........this thing is a lifesaver and very easy to use-

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30ACBE-475A-BAC0-505CDCE7A4EA25E5

Salvage the cake you have...........just wrap it, freeze it, and then carve off the overdone edges......you can still use the cake, even though it will be a few inches smaller than before icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7

Magic strips for sure! Also agree with the aluminum core. I have used flower nails for smaller cakes, but I personally like the core better.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%