Trying To Get A Business Started In West Virginia

Business By littleredtonya Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm by hellie0h

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

I am just starting to sell cakes outside the realm of family. I just made my first paid cake friday. I have more coming up in the next couple of weeks but for family. My husband keeps telling me that I need to get my business license. Does anyone know what I need to do here in West Virginia. I did call the tax department. They told me I had to get a license . Anytime I have bought a cake off someone I never paid taxes. Maybe they just round up to the nearest dollar.


4 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:31am
post #2 of 5


Where are you? I am in Fairmont, WV just 20 min. south of Morgantown! I have done alittle research into getting licensed in WV. I must say I think it is a regional thing and up to your local health department. I have little hope here in Fairmont. I was told no way no how could you have a business from your home, even in a separate kitchen. It must be completely detached from your house.

I sure hope you are close! I want a DOS or a cake club, but can't find anyone near me!!

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

Hello newtodecorating.

I live in Jackson County. I am about 40 minutes north of Charleston. Here in Jackson County we are able to work out of our own kitchen. I do have a question how do you charge for your cakes. I done a cake friday that was a 11x15" sheetcake with a stacked 8" on top . I bought a small Dora figurine put on top with some other stuff. I charged them $30. My husband said if he were me he wouldn't have done it for that much. I don't know what I need to do. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

maddypaige01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddypaige01 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 5

I know this thread is very old, but as a fellow West Virginian, there aren't too many posts to choose from on here! Did you ever get any concrete answers to your questions? I am in that boat now, and I am not sure what my next step needs to be because I am not sure what it legal and what isn't. The state websites are NOT user-friendly at all. I figured someone on here must be from WV too and maybe have a little advice to share!?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 5

I'm a transplant from wva/maryland that lives in Ohio. I have 2 links for you, first link is the state map with county clickable to the county health dept. contact info. From what I have read, different counties have diff. rules. So if I were you I would contact your health dept.
Second link is from the State Health Dept. on rules for selling at Farmers Markets. From what I read there, home based kitchens can sell non-hazardous food, such as cake, fruit pies, candy and bread. They also state that you need to register with local HD before date of sale. Also, as you will read, the products need to be labeled in accordance with the WVA Dept. of Ag. Here is that link.
Good luck in finding your answers

Quote by @%username% on %date%