Another Rbc Fan Is Born :)

Baking By JRAE33 Updated 26 May 2007 , 9:18pm by KellJ

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 21

I tried RBC for the first time this weekend and loved it! It worked wonderful and it tasted great, too. I'm a huge fan of buttercream on cookies, it tastes so yummy, but they don't look that great and can't stack. RBC is the perfect solution!! Tastes yummy and can be stacked! I can't wait to do some more!

I would cut out a batch of cookies, while that batch was baking I'd cut out enough RBC for the cookies and then put it on once the cookies came out and were still on the cookie sheet. They adhered nicely and I didn't have to worry about freezing the RBC as I've read others do...I don't have room in my freezer icon_sad.gif

I accented with Royal Icing (wilton), but did notice this morning that some of the royal was "flaking" off. Didn't adhere that well to the RBC. Any sugestions as to why? Or what do you all accent with?! TIA. Jodie

20 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 21

Mine really doesn't flake off- maybe be sure to wipe off any excess grease with a paper towel before you pipe the RI??

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 21

What is RBC and how does it work?

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 21

[quote="JRAE33"]I tried RBC for the first time this weekend and loved it! It worked wonderful and it tasted great, too. I'm a huge fan of buttercream on cookies, it tastes so yummy, but they don't look that great and can't stack. RBC is the perfect solution!! Tastes yummy and can be stacked! I can't wait to do some more!

Hey JRAE33 that's great! I've wanted to try RBC but don't really have a good recipe. Do you mind sharing yours?? I have a baby shower coming up and I think RBC will be perfect for the design I have in mind. TIA icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

JRAE33 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

What is RBC and how does it work?

RBC= Rolled Buttercream. I got the recipe from this site some where but forgot to save the link so I'm not sure where exactly I found it icon_sad.gif Anyways, it's a type of fondant so you can roll it out, cut it out, etc. HTH. Jodie

JRAE33 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Hey JRAE33 that's great! I've wanted to try RBC but don't really have a good recipe. Do you mind sharing yours?? I have a baby shower coming up and I think RBC will be perfect for the design I have in mind. TIA

I would love to share. Let me do a little research and see if I can figuire out where I got the recipe in the first place...want to make sure I give credit where credit is due icon_smile.gif I chose this particular recipe because you didn't have to have a stand mixer (which I no longer do) and could knead it by hand. Let me see what I can find...if I can't find the source I'll gladly PM the recipe. Just don't feel comfortable sharing the recipe here when it's not mine. Jodie

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 21

It's on this site- just type in Rolled Buttercream in the recipe section.

JRAE33 Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 21

Okay....so I didn't get the recipe off of this site...I did a google search and found it again...from All.recipes...here is the link...(hope it works). I really liked it. As I said, it was my first time making RBC...actually my first time with any sort of fondant...and I found it easy to work with and quite yummy once applied to the cookie. Jodie

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx

noosie Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks Jodie, I really appreciate the help!

JRAE33 Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Jodie, I really appreciate the help!

You're welcome! I hope you like it as much as I do! Let us know what you think when you give it a try. Jodie

noosie Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 21

Hey Jodie, I tried the RBC recipe yesterday. Very tasty, hubby and kids loved it. I did find that I had to put the cutouts in fridge or freezer in order to pick up. They worked beautifully on the cookies and dried well. Thanks again, definitely a keeper!!!

JRAE33 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Jodie, I tried the RBC recipe yesterday. Very tasty, hubby and kids loved it. I did find that I had to put the cutouts in fridge or freezer in order to pick up. They worked beautifully on the cookies and dried well. Thanks again, definitely a keeper!!!

I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was pretty yummy, too, especially once it was on the cookie! I rolled mine out a little thicker than it probably needed to be, perhaps that made the difference of mine not needing to be in fridge/freezer?! Anyways, glad you liked it. I will be using that in place of royal from now on...unless I have something with a lot of detail. Jodie

noosie Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 21

Sorry to keep this going, but do you think if it was watered down a bit it can be piped on for writing or borders???? That would be cool. RI is not the best tasting.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 21

Try using Alice's cookie icing for the piping details. It does not harden like RI but it does get a nice crust. I used RBC on my flower cookies and Alice's for the piping detail.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 21

Did you post any pictures.. I would like to see how they look.... Do they look like fondant?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 21

Noosie icon_lol.gif I love the taste of wilton's RI because that is all we ever used growing up at Christmas for gingerbread cookies! You know what they say about memories making everything sweeter!

I too used RBC on my egg cookies (they are in the cookie club right now). I liked working with it but I think my NFSC dough wasn't cold enough going into the frezzer so they spread a little so I waited till the cookies cooled then put the RBC on with a tiny bit of water. Then I rolled them with my little pin to spread to the edges! That worked great. I also put them in the oven to really adhere and get the glossy surface that melting gives RBC.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 21

So this RBC can be used for cakes? And it tastes just like regular Buttercream Icing? I have a wedding cake due on the 8th. She wants drapes (like with fondant) but wants the entire cake done of buttercream, to cut costs. Do you charge more for RBC? Can you do drapes with it?

Edited to add: Also, if you put it on a cake, do you still do the crumb coat, then the extra coat of regular bc? Or just the crumb coat?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 21

I would think that RBC instead of Fondant would be a taste preference thing not a cost thing! If I charged I would charge the same for RBC as Fondant. I think that it was about the same as working with any homemade fondant.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:22pm
post #19 of 21

Thank you for that advice. I think I will try making some on Monday, as I have an appt with the bride that afternoon. I will give her the choice of BC or RBC to see which she likes with the style of cake she wants done. Thanks again.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 21

Does anyone know if you can decorate the cookies with RBC then freeze them?
How will they thaw?

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 26 May 2007 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 21

I have the same problem with the RI flaking off the RBC. I try to wipe off all the grease on the RBC and then dust it with extra powdered sugar and sometimes that seems to help. For some strange reason my black RI seems to flake worse than any other color.

I ship my cookies a lot and sometimes the RBC doesn't seem to do so well because it is so soft and sometimes the bubble wrap leaves a little impression in the RBC. RI does much better and I flavor mine with either almond, lemon, orange or vanilla to give it a little extra flaovr.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%