Hot Weather And Buttercream. Will It Melt?????

Decorating By curiegas Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 11:14pm by mollineau

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 21 May 2005 , 7:06am
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake for my niece's birthday this weekend and its going to be outside. Of course after the mild weather we have been having this weekend is supposed to be in the mid 90's. I am using Cali4Dawn's buttercream recipe which is 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Will it melt if its outside for let's say an hour or so? Should I add Meringue Powder or maybe more powdered sugar?

Thanks,
Cecilia

9 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 May 2005 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 10

It's possible that it could melt. The meringue powder might help. Keeping it out of direct sunlight will also help.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 21 May 2005 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiegas

I am making a cake for my niece's birthday this weekend and its going to be outside. Of course after the mild weather we have been having this weekend is supposed to be in the mid 90's. I am using Cali4Dawn's buttercream recipe which is 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Will it melt if its outside for let's say an hour or so? Should I add Meringue Powder or maybe more powdered sugar?

Thanks,
Cecilia

If your local cake store has a product called Stay Ice add that to your recipe its a white powder that is to help stabilize your icing in heat and in humidity

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 May 2005 , 2:51am
post #4 of 10

If it got hot in TX as it got in Louisiana yesterday & today I wouldn't dare put a cake outside until right before it is needed. It is sooo hot!!! Good luck! I hope it didn't melt on you.

Victoria~ Is white powder just like meringue powder? Never heard of it.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:07am
post #5 of 10

I'd definitely keep it out of the direct sun.. try to set up the table in the shade where it may be a bit cooler ... it's been so hot here where I live, I'd be afraid the butter in the icing would melt...

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:46am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

If it got hot in TX as it got in Louisiana yesterday & today I wouldn't dare put a cake outside until right before it is needed. It is sooo hot!!! Good luck! I hope it didn't melt on you.

Victoria~ Is white powder just like meringue powder? Never heard of it.

They are two different things but it looks just like the Meringue powder does...

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:55am
post #7 of 10

Just wanted to add, remember to factor in the humidex when you are considering the temperature along with putting it in the shade.
Butter melts between 82.4 and 96.8
Shortening 98-110 F.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:14am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Just wanted to add, remember to factor in the humidex when you are considering the temperature along with putting it in the shade.
Butter melts between 82.4 and 96.8
Shortening 98-110 F.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST IN HOT WEATHER SQUIRRELLY?
MY SONS B-DAY IS COMING UP IN 2 WEEKS, WERE HAVING IT AT THE PARK..

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:33am
post #9 of 10

Hhmn, moving to a cooler place, haha?
Well, I have heard like was suggested, that if you can get Stay-Ice or a similar product it helps. But I cannot get it here. So I don't know what it is like to work with.
Generally people go with all shortening icing or fondant.
Personally, I would go with either buttercream, keep the cake in a cooler until just before serving, and keep it out of the sun. Cooler isn't big enough? Double garbage bag the boxed cake and stick it in a plastic tub or container with ice below it, the cake boxed and bagged sitting on a cookie sheet or large cooling rack, another rack or sheet over it, followed by more ice on top. That way the ice won't leak into the cake and also will not weigh down and smash the cake box. I have done this with a few outdoor cakes.
Now here is a recipe from an old Wilton post, I have not tried it out though. But in a lot of warm climates, they do add flour to the icing to make it more stable in high humidity.
You might want to try a small test batch to see what you think.
Hugs Squirrelly
The Recipe
Hot Weather Icing:
1 and 1/2 cups shortening
1/4 cup dry Dream Whip
1/3 cup flour, sifted
2 lb bag confectioners' sugar, sifted
2/3 cup water or milk
4 tsp vanilla, or 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp other flavoring

Combine shortening and Dream Whip, mixing well on low speed. Add wet
and dry ingredients alternately, and mix. Do NOT over mix. Denser than
buttercream, and good for roses and other flowers. One batch is more than enough for a 2 layer 8" cake.

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 10

Is there anyway I can buy this stay ice on line because I need it I live half of block away of the sea and the heat is on here and dose it work with ithalian and swiss butter cream  icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%