Removing Lilies From Foil Lining Without Cracking.

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 25 Jun 2006 , 12:33am by babynewyear

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 9:44am
post #1 of 13

Here is my dilemma...I'm a creature of habit, and have only recently began offering flowers made of royal icing, etc. Anyway, I have a cake going out this afternoon that the customer requested lilies on. So, I used my lily nail with foil lining, and my lilies looked superb. Sadly, when I let them harden up, and tried to remove them to my cake, they cracked all over the place. I didn't let them harden more than an hour. I thought about lightly spraying the foil with a vegetable spray, but that was an after thought. Suggestions?

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 9:59am
post #2 of 13

Sounds to me like they were not dry under the surface. I always let my royal flowers dry at least overnight, sometimes longer if it's a rose or mum, something thick.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yrn2lrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yrn2lrn Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:07am
post #3 of 13

Hi Amy,

I always use an artist's brush to apply a generous amount of vegetable oil on the foil before making each lily.

Hope this helps.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:18am
post #4 of 13

I dust the foil lightly with a combo of powdered sugar/cornstarch.

NanaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaD Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:18am
post #5 of 13

I am trying to learn as much as I can, so I have a question. I thought oil of any kind was a no no when using royal icing.

yrn2lrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yrn2lrn Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:28am
post #6 of 13

NanaD,

I thought so too, but my instructor insisted on it and I have not had a problem with the oil breaking down the royal icing.

Just give it a try and see how you like it.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:39am
post #7 of 13

Maybe you didn't let it harden long enough. I have made lillies and always let it set overnight and the foil always comes off with no problem.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 13

I try to do all my flowers at least a week in advance so they have time to dry. I don't do royal anymore. Only gumpaste ones.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks to each of you for the tips. I appreciate the help. Now, off to make more lilies for another cake. Thanks again!!!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:20am
post #10 of 13

I've had this same problem many times and someone suggested to me to get the Reynolds Release tin foil. I tried it and the cracking problem seems to be solved but then I have the problem that the darn flowers just won't dry no matter how long I let them sit out. ( days and days)

KimAZ

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:22am
post #11 of 13

I have sprayed Pam lightly in the foil. I did not have a problem with them. HTH

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 12:27am
post #12 of 13

My Wilton instructor swears by using the Wilton candy foils. She also suggests folding back the foil a little each day to keep them from sticking.

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 12:33am
post #13 of 13

My instructer had us lightly grease with crisco and poke air hole in the bottom with a toothpick before we applied the icing. And let dry a looong time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%