Totally Disapointed In New Wilton Yb!

Decorating By freddyfl Updated 27 Jun 2006 , 2:31am by mmdd

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 33

after reading that the new yearbooks were in I ran out to walmart last night and bought it. when I came home and looked at it I was SO disapointed. The cakes are almost like last years, or incredibly lame or both! If you have the book did you see the creepy looking napping care bears??? I am glad that i kept my reciept, because I am going to be taking it back today. Did anyone else who bought it feel this way?

32 replies
itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 33

I was going to buy mine today but now I'm scared.

Creepy looking napping carebears???

I don't do creepy...... icon_surprised.gif

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 33

Personally, I love the new yearbook. You are right that some of the cakes are similar, but I still like it. I really like the catchy theme section. JMO.

freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 33

they piped little bodies and put those pre-made dot?? heads on them. you know the kind of candy shapes that you buy at the store. Let me look up the name of them....hold on.......they are called care bears icing decorations. trust me, they are creepy looking! In my opinion anyways. =0)

freddyfl Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 33

the roller coaster, carosel, and water slide cake are neat, but compared to other years there just wasnt enough for me to spend 10 dollars on the book. I think CC has just spoiled me!!!!! =)

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 33

Hi Everyone: Yes, I was disappointed after going thru the book. However, I'm not going to take it back because you never know what you may need out of the book. (If anything). Just use it as a reference book.....Vicki0052

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 33

I too was a bit dissapointed. I'm still keeping it and think there are some good ideas in there, I just didn't think it had the same glamour as last years - especially with the character themed cakes.

I love the roller coaster cake abd think the care bears are creepy too.

I've only glance through the book quickly - but it seemed there were fewer fondant projects and more bc projects. Maybe fondant is fading again.

I would have still paid for it again - but that's me. I did notice that they had some new insructions in the back about how to make swags (which I can't do) so I'm looking forward to trying the new techniques.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 33

For the most part I was disapointed too. The last few years don't hold a candle to the older yearbooks. In my opinion the wedding cakes are a disapointment. I will keep mine. I have every yearbook put out and I like having them. The cakes in the past were so much more beautiful. Fondant is taking over. I like fondant highlights, but I love cakes decorated in buttercream.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 33

I am not totally disappointed in the yearbook: however I do agree it is not as good as some of the older ones.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 33

I posted my thoughts in another thread but thought I would say a few more things here.

For those that have not gotten it, please look over it yourself, rather than not buying it because some others did not like it. We all like different things and do different types of decoratoring.

I have every yearbook but one, and I can say I have never loved every cake in the books. There are some cakes that I just don't care for, and there are some cakes that I love. And I'm sure the ones I love are not always the same as others.

A far as the carebear, I wasn't creeped out about it, but I wasn't loving the look of it. But I did look at the directions and said hey it would be better with a gumball deocrated instead of the flat icing decoration. And by using a gumball you can change it up alot by decorating the gumball in different ways. So I liked the idea of it, but would probably change up the execution of it.

I guess we all look at them differently. I don't do character cakes, so I just usually glance at those and say that's cute or that's okay, but it isn't something I have plans on doing either way. I also do not do (alot of) wedding cakes, so those again are just something I look at.

I think there are some cute ideas, I'm glad to see that they used fondant for more than just covering a cake and cut out decorations as alot of people around me don't like fondant. I don't often do cakes exacltly as they are pictured, but I think there are many neat ideas that can be translated and used for other things.

Again, for those that haven't gotten it, please look over it and make up your own mind on the yearbook based on what you like and what kind of decorating you do.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 33

I'm disappointed as well. I liked a few things, but overall I thought it wasn't near as good as previous years.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 33

I second Texas Sugar. Everybody look over them before deciding. I just got mine, and I am so impressed! Actually, the last year or two, I have not been crazy about the yearbooks, though I have bought every one as well. I have said that the cakes seemed to be going downhill.

Now when I bought this one and looked through it, I thought, "Wow, great cakes again!" I love these cakes. There are some really cute ideas in there!

And how about that stand on the inside front cover. Actually, it is on the front cover, but it is covered with cakes, and not a good picture to feature the stand. I love it. And $30? A stand for $30? Terrific, I say. Again, love it.

The first cake (page 7) is the first cake that jumped out at me. I loved it! The snowmen and fondant diamonds, the piles of presents, Lady Liberty, the Ribbon (I am so loving that new pan!) are a few I love.

The one thing I am still looking for is, in each book lately, there is that one cake that is so fun and challenging (a la that big circus cake a couple of years ago, and that wonderful haunted house!) and I have not yet found that. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper into the book?

But yep, I am loving this book. There are several cakes on it that I am going to try, or at least do a take on. I can't wait. Makes me want to run in the kitchen and break out the pans.

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 33

Overall..Im neither satisfied nor dissatisfied. Im not going to take the book back or anything...I could always use it as reference. I did think it was too much like the past year book. I would have liked to have seen some more on CCC.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:06am
post #14 of 33

I don't mean to say I did not like it. Just want to see more buttercream. I take what ideas I like and can maybe use them for a different kind of cake. I ike the new stand. I collect them all.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:19am
post #15 of 33

First let me say...I never buy the yearbooks and rarely look at them. However, I have a few O-L-D ones and I use them occasionally for inspiration. I look at a border or a general idea and improve upon it or take it a lot farther. You can get a lot from each picture even if you don't the overall look.

freddyfl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:26am
post #16 of 33

hey, different strokes for different folks, the few cakes I liked just weren't worth the ten bucks to me. As for the rest of the stuff it was mostly redone stuff from other books. Plus as i said before I think I have been spoiled by cc. I was hoping for more spectacular cakes. That being said, I did pick up their wedding cake book and am really happy with that, even though I don't plan on making wedding cakes soon, the ideas can be used on other things.

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:31am
post #17 of 33

yep - felt the same way. went to wal - mart the day after i heard it was out. didn't buy it!!!!! total disappointment! My aunt felt the same also!

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:11am
post #18 of 33

I liked the cakes they had in the book, especially the ones with the new cake stand. The only crappy part about the yb is that I have to go get another one, my 1 & 2 yr old got ahold of it and ripped out almost all the pages icon_cry.gif

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:08am
post #19 of 33

Well, I was a little dissapointed too. Unfortunately, I can´t go return it since I didn´t get it in a place like Walmart or Michaels. With that said, I think that there are a few cakes that are kinda cute. I liked the bride dress with the bridemaids dresses around and the one with the hands and the bouquet was a clever idea. The rollercoster cake was nice too. The bows were not very well done in my opinion. There are better looking ones here in CC.

It seems like this year they have decided to integrate mediums. They use buttercream, gumpaste, fondant, chocolate and cookies in the same cake sometimes. Maybe the reason why they have not included that many all fondant cakes is because they think fondant doesn´t sell (THEIR fondant doesn´t sell since it tastes awful! icon_wink.gif ). I think I´ll get to use some of the ideas from it, though.

Inma

Ps: Very cute chimney out of rice crispies.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:20am
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

First let me say...I never buy the yearbooks and rarely look at them. However, I have a few O-L-D ones and I use them occasionally for inspiration. I look at a border or a general idea and improve upon it or take it a lot farther. You can get a lot from each picture even if you don't the overall look.

I'm with you Jenn. I have built up a collection of the very old wiltons and I LOVE them.(I got them on ebay) They had more cakes and less product advertising. They were about decorating cakes! I get so inspired by them. When I look at the newer ones, they seem like the same stuff, not that many cakes and lots of product ads. I may be spoiled by CC's galleries, so much talent and inspiration here!!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:27am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

they piped little bodies and put those pre-made dot?? heads on them. you know the kind of candy shapes that you buy at the store. Let me look up the name of them....hold on.......they are called care bears icing decorations. trust me, they are creepy looking! In my opinion anyways. =0)

I've just got to ask, has anyone ever noticed that the care bear icing decorations dont have mouths? they're just ....open.....open holes.... that is creepy indeed!

Love-A-Lot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love-A-Lot Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:32am
post #22 of 33

I just got back from Walmart and almost bought the yearbook. I decided I would wait until I could catch 40% at HobbyLobby or Micheals and get it then. I am new to cake decorating and I am going to get it because I might need it for reference. I was looking forward to trying to get all the old ones, but with buying a house I have to save every penny.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:34am
post #23 of 33

I really enjoyed this one...oh well..different strokes!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:00am
post #24 of 33

Well, I will take a look at it when it comes out at the Michael;'s near me and then I will use my 40% coupon if I decide to buy it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:14am
post #25 of 33

It didn't float my boat, however I had some family members look through it and they enjoyed it. So I will end up using the ideas in there. I think I am just spoiled with all the creativity on this website. A lot of the stuff I have seen in the last two yearbooks I have heard/seen on this site first, so it isn't necessarily something new to me. But the different takes on the same process are always neat.

Leily

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:23am
post #26 of 33

Those Care Bears ARE creepy! I love the hearts on the butts, but that's it. Would have been better with a figure piped head instead of a flat icing decoration.

I love the new stand...some of the cakes are cute (mostly the ones that utilise the stand LOL), but I do agree that some are so tired and overdone. I'm kinda getting annoyed with the fact that you can find the same character cakes in the books year after year (Dora, Spongebob, Scooby Doo, Cinderella....) with just a tiny variation. I know these are the hot characters now...but come on.

I'll still keep my book though. I kind of like having one from every year.

freddyfl Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:02am
post #27 of 33

[quote="candy177"]Those Care Bears ARE creepy! I love the hearts on the butts, but that's it. Would have been better with a figure piped head instead of a flat icing decoration.
quote]

i agree, but then they wouldn't be able to sell their funky care bear heads. LOL. I did think the bodies were cute. I would have loved to seen how to pipe on a frosting head. They would have been really cute then, or at least would have had the chance of being really cute.

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:05am
post #28 of 33

i found a stack of year old year books at the dollar store last summer, will keep looking for them this year icon_rolleyes.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:24am
post #29 of 33

The Dollar Store? Ingenious. I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled.

As for this years...I fully agree with the majority. Big disappointment, but I'm keeping it nontheless. You never know how something will inspire you. I just think it didn't have anything new that was good.

And my personal least favorite cake EVER in there is that Cinderella cake for some reason. Sorry. I don't know. It's just a bit...again, I apologize. I just cringe every time I see it.

Anyway, I am keeping it. I wish I had the older ones. I only have last years and this year.

Angie

Miraculous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miraculous Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 1:37am
post #30 of 33

Although some of the things DO seem oversimplified to people who are more experienced, I think Wilton is aiming to help those who dont HAVE as much epertise or creativity. For example, using the "Hole Mouth" carebear heads (roflmao) will help some mother out there who cant do much. These are the moms who use the character pans once for there kids birthday and the sell it in there garage sale and I come along with a dolla and make out like a bandit! I guess it is good that Wilton aims to make things presentable for all levels of know how, but then again; do these "Pre cut out dough shape" buying moms really buy the Yearbook? HMMM some things well never know? Like Why DO those care bears mouths look like a BLOW UP DOLL's mouth? Hahaha. Well I guess all in all I liked the yearbook, but why does HALF OF IT HAVE TO BE A STINKIN CATOLOGE?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%