Camping With A Cake?!

Decorating By tirby Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 3:18pm by tirby

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 7

Ok I know I can freeze an all white, iced cake and I know I can Freeze an uniced cake.
My question is what to do about travel time and camping.
I am going to a family reunion, my hubbies, and my wounderful man offered for me to make a cake. icon_eek.gif . HELLO WERE CAMPING!! oh well .
So there is a fridge and freezer there. I have a camp trailer. I would like to make and ice before leaving but the travel is 2 hours. If I take the cake iced and frozen would it be ok to put back in the freezer when I get there? or should I just suck it up and decorate and ice the cake in my trailer after we arive?If I do ice and freeze when should I remove it to thaw out enough to put a frozen transfer on?
We are leaving early Saturday morning, So I would have to do the icing on friday and the cake will not be needed until the 4th.( Tuesday). I have a frozen transfer to put on that I can fit into my freezer in the camp trailer so no other decoration will be needed.
I asked my hubbie who started the whole thing and his responce was, " Honey why do you ask me , I don't know anything about cakes?" icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif
Oh the life icon_smile.gif
Thanks guys
Now what to do?

6 replies
bird95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bird95 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 7

BUMP!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 7

I would ice it all, freeze it, then transport. It should be fine to put back in the freezer when you get there. I ususally take mine out about 3 hours before it will be served. If you're not going to already have the FBCT on it, you could probably still take it out at that time, if you just have to lay the transfer on it. Does that help?

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 7

Here's what I think I would do if I were in this situation....

I would bake and ice the cake as late as possible. Then I would transport it like that and then put it into the freezer once I got there. I would just worry about freezing a cake, letting it thaw and then refreezing it.

I never thought about taking a cake camping. This is an interesting question.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

Here's what I think I would do if I were in this situation....

I would bake and ice the cake as late as possible. Then I would transport it like that and then put it into the freezer once I got there. I would just worry about freezing a cake, letting it thaw and then refreezing it.

I never thought about taking a cake camping. This is an interesting question.

I'm with you on this one. I would only freeze it once.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with only freezing it once...if not, it when you refreeze it, you have danger of getting water crystals in the cake and it tasting freezer burnt when you take it out the second time...don't you just love it when hubbies offer your services without consulting with you first?

At least he must think you do a great job on your cakes and wants to toot your horn!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all. I will freeze it once I get it there. And as far as horn tooting, I think he just wants cake! That is how I started decorating, someone asked him if I might like to learn. He said she would love it!
I DO!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%