Tootsie Roll Roses

Decorating By Zamode Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 4:36am by joanmary

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:03am
post #1 of 55

I need some honest opinions about these please! I am helping my SIL with roses for a wedding cake (her mother is doing the cake....not sure why she can't do roses but whatever). I have no experience with fondant or gumpaste flowers and don't have time to learn now plus I don't have the tools. So, it has to be Royal, buttercream or Tootsie Rolls. I have limited time to do them, so...

Should the petals be thinner and should I add a third row (7 petals)? Some came out better than others and frankly, it stinks to have issues with Tootsie Roll roses when they are easy to make icon_redface.gif I used Hershey kisses for the base, should I use a Tootsie for the center to make it lighter? How will these get attached to the cake if she wants them cascading? Any other advice, opinions, thoughts, suggestions, whatever welcome! icon_eek.gif
LL

54 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:08am
post #2 of 55

Oh my gosh! Those are adorable! I wouldn't add a third row unless you needed really big roses.

Yummy, tootsie rolls are my favorite!

Hey, some of us are "rose challenged"! I didn't get the hang of them until a year ago, and I've been doing cakes for years! Maybe she needs a lesson!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:09am
post #3 of 55

I've never made them before but I do think yours look great. The two in the corners of the back row don't look quite as great as the all the others but they are still great! Maybe those were your first two or something, I'm not sure. They don't look like the need the extra row of petals. They look very full now. Good luck with making more and sorry I don't know how you'd attach them. Maybe a skewer but I don't know if the skewer would start slicing it in half.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:19am
post #4 of 55

They look wonderful. How do you make TR roses? Are they the same as fondant?

tastycakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:20am
post #5 of 55

If you change the base to a tootsie roll it'll be soft enough to push in a wire or a lollipop stick depending on what you need to do.

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:21am
post #6 of 55

The ones in the front row look fuller, maybe you could just add an extra row to the one's in the back there. Or they would be just fine the way they are, different sizes are good to!! I don't even know how to make them, so I think they all look great!!! How do you make tootsie roll roses, I would love to make those icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tastycakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:24am
post #7 of 55

Do you make tootsie roll and caramel acorns in the fall? They are so easy as well!

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:34am
post #8 of 55

So...how do you make them?

tastycakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:43am
post #9 of 55

YOu make them pretty much the same way you'd do gumpaste roses. You can often the roses in the micro for a couple of seconds, or like a friend of mine, put a bunch in a baggie and walk around with them in your pockets (weird), this softens them so they are pliable and can be shaped.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 55

They look great, i dont think you need another row of petals and the petals are thin enough IMO. If she wants them cascading maybe you can stick a toothpick in the ones you with use for the sides and stick it into the cake. Just be sure to pull those out before serving. HTH.

BTW do you soften them, roll them out and then cut out petals and shape??

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 55

Interesting. I've never heard of TR roses. They look fantastic to me! You could add another row to see how it looks. I guess it depends on how full of a rose you want?

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 55

You did a great job!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 55

Jeeze! your roses look beautiful! Did you use cutters or form each petal free hand? Have been wanting to do these and you look like an expert with these. Please tell me how you did it.
Thanks
Amy

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 55

they look great...I think you're doing a great job. You can stick tooth picks into the kisses before you add the "petals" so you can just stick them into the cake.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 55

I've made them with the different colored/flavored tootsie rolls. I can post a picture when my DH comes home with his digital camera. I can explain how I make them.

I take a mini tootsie roll and microwave it about 15 seconds. I use a paring knife and slice it lengthwise. Then I cut the length into five equal pieces, so now (because I split it lengthwise) I have ten pieces. I flatten 9 pieces between my finger and thumb into basically circles. I take the last piece and form a tiny cone. I take one of the flat pieces and elongate it a little and wrap it around the tip of the cone for the center. Then I put three petals around that and finally five petals around that. Voila!

These do take a lot longer than making buttercream roses; but at least there is no drying out time.

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 55

Your roses look great but would be even more realistic if the petals were thinner. Maybe it's just me, though. I have made the TR roses and was very pleased they way they came out. They seem easier to form that fondant and taste sooo much better. Good luck, I'm sure they will be beautiful.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 55

I think they look great. I think they look more realistic when they are all a little different from each other. I would just add another row if you need larger roses. I have only tried one TR rose but would love to do more and also try starburst.

How far in advance can you make tootsie roll or other candy roses? How do you store them until ready to use?

Thanks,
Cindy

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 55

You can also buy the fruit flavored tootsie rolls, that come in pretty colors like pink (strawberry) , red (cherry), orange, green (lime) etc. They would be prettier more realistic flowers. I have seen chocolate roses on choc. cakes all the time, but I have never seen a real brown rose...LOL Well unless it was dying..hahaha

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm
post #19 of 55

I never thought of candy for roses before! Now I am intrigued. Would salt water taffy work too? All those pretty pastels and stripes would make great roses!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:18am
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTina

Would salt water taffy work too?

I suppose that would work too, if not too sticky to work with. I have also heard of people using bubble gum. Personally, I'm not fond of the idea of gum on a cake. People should be told in advance so they save the rose for last when eating the cake!

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:24am
post #21 of 55

Those are really good ideas! Something to experiment with! icon_wink.gif

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:32am
post #22 of 55

you can also use starburst candies to make them, that would give you more color choices as well. I think the petals should be a bit thinner and more ruffly around the edges, but these look good. is it going to be a chocolate cake?

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:40am
post #23 of 55

Those are so cute! And you did a great job with them, too. I don't think they need another row, although you could make some with more petals, just to vary the sizes if you wanted to.

I'm with everybody else. I think I may have seen an article on how to do them, but I don't still have it. When you start cutting the tootsie roll, which size are you using? The old-fashioned size, that's a few inches long, and thin?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:06am
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB

I'm with everybody else. I think I may have seen an article on how to do them, but I don't still have it.

This might be the one you're thinking of...

http://www.turnto10.com/food/6716796/detail.html

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:08am
post #25 of 55

Wow, those look really good. I can't make a buttercream rose to save my life. I saw this post, looked at your picture, grabbed a tootsie roll, and viola!! My best rose ever!! (not saying it was great, but still, my best rose ever).
OK, I'm off track here. I think your roses look great. I might add another row to the few that seem a little skinner. but also think they look great just as they are...good job!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:13am
post #26 of 55

I didn't know that could be done-YUMMY! I think these look really good! What a concept.

Zamode Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #27 of 55

Thanks very much everyone for your kind words and opinions. Anyone who has photos of theirs, please post them or let me know they are in your gallery.

I'm not sure what happened to those two in the back/top row....I know the left one I was out of cut pieces. The one in the middle on the bottom I thought came out the best. I think they could be thinner, too. I did those by hand, I don't have cutters. I think the next couple I try I will roll out so they get nice and thin. The warmed candies were melting the kisses, too but just slightly. I have never seen the colored Tootsies, I will have to look for those but these would be fun with Starburst. I will try some tomorrow and post them, see if I can get them thinner and a more realistic look.

They will take longer than buttercream and being that I don't know how many she needs, I still am not sure if these are an option. They are nice but somehow I don't think they will look right on a wedding cake.....?

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:20am
post #28 of 55

i know that cakemommy has starburst roses in her gallery. They look great! her stuff is awesome! depending on the cake she makes I think the colored starbursts would look good enough to have on a wedding cake.

Zamode Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:31am
post #29 of 55

freddfly, the cake is going to be ice cream cake covered in ganache. I was concerned about the roses melting/softening (thinking buttercream originally when she asked) but the roses will outlast the cake even if they were buttercream. I don't mind helping her but the lack of info is not helping me any. I leave for vacation four days after she returns, so I really have limited time to do whatever kind it is she wants.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:36am
post #30 of 55

These are Tootsie Roll roses on this cake. They were difficult to make--probably because I didn't soften the Tootsie Rolls in the microwave first! That would have helped a lot. icon_smile.gif

Yours look great. I agree that slightly thinner petals would add to the effect, though.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%