I Can't Stand It When....

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm by mdsquared

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:01pm
post #91 of 230

Most of my family is from Pitts, PA and I know all of the good one's goin dan town to get some eggs n'at,
Yinz
sweeper
gumband
book bag
icy
slippy LOL!!! This topic is too funny! Now I'm down south - I can't use those words or no one will know what I'm talking aboot, eh.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #92 of 230

My Dh (from H'burg PA) says Home Depo (no T, like where trains go) and He WORKS there (but not at a store). He also says Acrosst...like Lets get acrosst before the light turns. And the one that drives me nuts is Sawl. " I sawl it on TV" YIKES!

Of course, that ebing said... I say "Fixin' to" (going to), y'all (you all), and this he hates - all y'all. And Pi no e for the desert with a crust.

Tomato tomahto I guess.
icon_lol.gif
Julia

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:08pm
post #93 of 230

if you dont know what it is, dont talk about it...thats my rule

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:11pm
post #94 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

......y'all (you all), and this he hates - all y'all.

But Julia! those are real words! y'all is singular (means "you") and "all y'all" is plural (means "all of you").

KY-Beth, back me up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:13pm
post #95 of 230
Quote:

My Dh (from H'burg PA) says Home Depo (no T, like where trains go) and He WORKS there (but not at a store).
:
Julia

Isn't that the way you pronounce it? That's how they say it on the commericials--with a silent "T."

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:18pm
post #96 of 230

OK, get this! My parents went to a mexican restaurant in Texas and tried to order some queso..... The guy had no idea what they were talking about! He said queso like 3 times, then finally said "cheese dip!". The waiter said "oh, CHEESE DEEP!" they thought that was funny (and a little weird). But would you believe that when they got their receipt, sure enough the dip was listed on the receipt spelled out "cheese deep"!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #97 of 230

RIGHT WITH YA indydebi! Mommapaul3: Your DH DOES know what it is....it's BOB WAR! LOL

Beth in KY

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:28pm
post #98 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

Quote:

My Dh (from H'burg PA) says Home Depo (no T, like where trains go) and He WORKS there (but not at a store).
:
Julia

Isn't that the way you pronounce it? That's how they say it on the commericials--with a silent "T."

Ditto. It is pronounced "home depo". The t is silent.
acookieobsession, do you think your dh jokes around with his friends saying "can you believe my wife calls this place "home de-pot"? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif sorry, I just couldn't help myself! icon_biggrin.gif --no offense!! icon_biggrin.gif

ShannanM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannanM Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #99 of 230

My MIL say sacuzzi for jacuzzi, and instead of saying someone treated her badly she say they used her wrong. ARRRGG!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:31pm
post #100 of 230

mdutcher,
I didn't read through all the replies, but I did read your post. That was the most hilarious story. I loved the laugh I got. Vent anytime!!! I agree, I'd have to get out of there too.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:32pm
post #101 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaraquel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezaly

Also, it seems like ppl here on the east coast (i'm from California) have to call thing by joing two names together i.e. Pocket book for purse. Or instead of "backpack" they call is a book bag...that just drives me crazy!!!! Oh, and how your only a real local if you pronounce Baltimore as Bal'more. Hello!!! There is a 'T' in there.... icon_smile.gif

Welcome to Bal'more, Hon! Let me get you a glass of wooder and some caffee while you check out the menu!"

Aacckkk!!!!! There it is!! icon_smile.gif Too funny icon_biggrin.gif

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:33pm
post #102 of 230

What a thread! Here's one for you...

My DH was a recent Cuban immigrant, and an artist. One night he said to me, with this sweet, innocent look on his face, "I want to make a painting of Jesus burning. I think the people here would like that, don't you?"

Well, I thought - who is this guy, Lucifer? I DID NOT think "the people here" would like a painting of Jesus burning. But I also wanted to be supportive of his artistic inspirations. So I patiently asked him to describe his vision to me exactly... to make a long story short, he actually wanted to paint a picture of Jesus - in his words - BORNING (being born) not BURNING.

Words, words, words! Gotta be careful with 'em!

Oh, and I hate it when people call WalMart WALMARK. Aaarrrgghhh!

Aunksunamun13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunksunamun13 Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:34pm
post #103 of 230

LOL omg these are funny.

My dh's cousin and her daughter call the couch a "cow-nch"....drives me nuts !!

And my DH (god love him) says sang-which. There is something else he says too....but I cant remember, lol. Perhaps I have just blocked it out, lmao !!

acookieobsession Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #104 of 230

icon_eek.gif Oh no..you can't POSSIBLY be agreeing with him... icon_biggrin.gif he is INSANE with that word. I think he just says it to yank my chain!

..let me see if I can spell it phonetically

At the store they say.....Home Dee-po

He says Home Dep-o
and everytime he does I wonder where the trains hide in the orange box store! icon_lol.gif

And I am with you that y'all is a word...but most people not from the south...think that is a sure sign of a redneck...

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:37pm
post #105 of 230

dolphinheron: The CORRECT pronounciation is: THE WALMARK!!

Beth in KY

Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #106 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

icon_lol.gif Hey Dolfin! Does your family make up words for things? My family does and then when I met my best friend, we'd have discussions over whose made-up words sounded better!

omg we have some too! When my oldest was a pre-teen, she wanted to call her dad an idiot, but she tried to spell it: "You are an I....D....O.....T!"

So now when someone does something stupid, we call them an EYE-DOT! (and it usually comes out as "you are a a 'big 'ole' eye-dot!") icon_lol.gif

HA Ha, when I was mad at my sister I wanted to say "I Hate You" but my children were around so I spelled it..."I H-A-T you". So now whenever we get mad at eachother we say, "ya, well I hat you!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

acookieobsession Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:41pm
post #107 of 230

I think the people that go to THE WALMARK also go to TarJay....

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:42pm
post #108 of 230

I believe that Home Depot (Deep-oh)

and train depot (deep-oh)
are pronounced the same.

But dep-oh (like the birth control method) is wrong

what about Fred Meyers? i admit, that one bugs me.

Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #109 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypie

I believe that Home Depot (Deep-oh)

and train depot (deep-oh)
are pronounced the same.

But dep-oh (like the birth control method) is wrong

what about Fred Meyers? i admit, that one bugs me.

I think that is what she was trying to say but having a problem putting into words...

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #110 of 230
Quote:

icon_eek.gif Oh no..you can't POSSIBLY be agreeing with him... icon_biggrin.gif he is INSANE with that word. I think he just says it to yank my chain!

..let me see if I can spell it phonetically

At the store they say.....Home Dee-po

He says Home Dep-o
and everytime he does I wonder where the trains hide in the orange box store! icon_lol.gif

And I am with you that y'all is a word...but most people not from the south...think that is a sure sign of a redneck...

Oh, Ok! Yes, it is DEE-po

I thought you were saying that you pronounce the T!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:49pm
post #111 of 230
Quote:

Quote:

......y'all (you all), and this he hates - all y'all.

But Julia! those are real words! y'all is singular (means "you") and "all y'all" is plural (means "all of you").

KY-Beth, back me up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yes i agree my husband is the king of that word.....every single time he say that word I always comment on it....lolololo

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:51pm
post #112 of 230

OOh! Just thought of another one.

My MIL says she is going to "taste of" something.

As in: "Look, I made a cake."

and she'll say "Yeah, it looks good. I need to taste of it"

Drives me batty!

Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:01pm
post #113 of 230

Oh and my sister always has to pick up a long pause or change the subject by saying "so anyways".
Ok 1st of all, that in itself is annoying but then you add the "anywayS". That is not a word!!! icon_smile.gif

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:03pm
post #114 of 230
Quote:

He says Home Dep-o
and everytime he does I wonder where the trains hide in the orange box store!

but she is saying that they should be pronounced differently.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:03pm
post #115 of 230

when my oldest son was younger he used to call muffins 'muffcakes" I thought that was cute!

Some other cute words from my kids were: panpanks, moatcanatrol (remote control lol!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:04pm
post #116 of 230
Quote:

Oh and my sister always has to pick up a long pause or change the subject by saying "so anyways".
Ok 1st of all, that in itself is annoying but then you add the "anywayS". That is not a word!!! icon_smile.gif

My hubby hates that one too! Whenever someone says it, he replies, "How many ways?"

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:08pm
post #117 of 230

my Mawmaw (God rest her soul) only shopped at the WalMark.... she is probably chuckling in heaven right now... crazy ole woman icon_smile.gif Oh and I forget to tell you all that my stepdad doesn't rinse the dishes he is going to the wrench the dishes.... hahahahaha

Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:09pm
post #118 of 230
Quote:

Quote:

My hubby hates that one too! Whenever someone says it, he replies, "How many ways?"

...glad I'm not the only one icon_smile.gif

My son who is 5 say chimanee for chimney and Hoe-in-tell for hotel. I just don't have the heart to tell him its wrong, it's too stinkin cute!! And besides, he won't say it forever.....hahahaha icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Beezaly Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:10pm
post #119 of 230

SugarBakerz
Love your sig icon_smile.gif

iluvcakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes27 Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:14pm
post #120 of 230

I have a few of my very own faux-pas which are due to regional differences. I'm from CA but now live in South Dakota. I tend to say freeway when talking about the interstate. I sometimes get looks like I'm talking a totally foreign language when I say that. I struggle with the pop/soda thing. In CA it's soda, here it's pop and some midwesterners don't even know what I mean when I say soda. I must also tell on my mom. Some of her bests are

lie-berry for library
tolet for toilet
and the granddaddy of them all is
ebow for elbow. Hello Mom, there is an L in there!!! Gotta love her!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%