I Can't Stand It When....

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm by mdsquared

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 20 May 2007 , 6:26am
post #31 of 230

LOL on alot of these things. I'm an aussie and our vernacular is pretty lazy and we say alot of the things here. (unintentional)

I use blinker, the sound of some things come out emma chisit (how much is it), em and eggs (ham and eggs), we use vacuums, we use tomato sauce (ketchup) and a few other things said.
Although fondue is a goo we dip things in and fondant is the stuff we use on cakes hehehehe

Still ROFL

icon_smile.gif Leigh

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:51am
post #32 of 230

Deb you are cracking me up.

Quote:
Quote:

i used to be a representative for a company that does home parties exclusively for women (yes it's THAT kind of company Wink Wink) and one day a lady called me asking if we sold "ling-a-ree"... i responded that yes we sold "long-sja-ray", would she like me to send her a catalog...and then she goes on and on about a party they'd done a short time before that sold tons of "ling-a-ree"...

i'm thinking "lady, i just gave you a somewhat subtle polite hint that you're not saying it correctly...what part of that did you miss?"

now my husband, best friend, and i all call it that just for fun!

I just let out a huge guffaw at that.

A good friend of mine cannot stand hearing or reading the word "supple". She says she "hears" it being said with a lisp and it drives her batty. It makes me laugh.

A pet peeve of mine that I've heard all too often since living down south - those who add an "er" to the end of words.

Example: South Carolin-er.

There's a town here called Marietta. I've heard people say "Mariett-er."

Just stab my eardrums, please.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #33 of 230

Okay, I've got one...my Dad, for some WEIRD reason, ends several place names in "ah". I lived in Hawaii for several years, but if my Dad spoke about where I lived he'd tell people I was in "Hawai-ah". And one of my closest friends is from, in my Dad's words, "Ohi-ah". Drives me crazy!

I could not stop giggling at the things indydebi wrote, I was reading it to DH and we were both cracking up!

And Jen, we only tease you because we love you! lol

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:30am
post #34 of 230

Our pastor drives me nuts. He uses the word "scary" profusely. Like in, " that's scary stuff guys, scary stuff." All the time. It's like we're 5 yr olds.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:48am
post #35 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I also go batty when people refer to their "blinker" instead of a "turn signal". (I bet it's a regional thing because no one around here calls it a "blinker" but it seems like I hear it in all the shows out of California.) If you ever get a ticket for failing to use these, I'm sure it's a "turn signal violation" not a "blinker violation".

Indydebi, I love this one, I can't stand it either. I live in MN and here the only other problem with the "Turn Signals" is that they seem to be "an options on most people's cars" You never know where the He## these people are going!! This is the only time while in the car, I will say anything out loud to other drivers like tapedshut.gif "the signal is not an option on your car, I know it comes standard!!!!" icon_mad.gif My 5 year old is starting to get it and now says, Mommy that was not a safe driver thumbs_up.gif and I agree everytime! I am pretty sure it's not just a MN thing either!! Anyone else!

My first language is french and I hear people butcher stuff all the time. Like many of you I try and explain it once or twice, then I'll give up for that day and try again another day!

I have a weird first name it's the french of Paula so it's Paule, I usually spell it out for people P.A.U.L.E like Paul with an "E" at the end. But you pronounce it like "North Pole". You have no idea how many people will look me straight in the eye and say, so it's spelled P.O.L.E?? I try not to make a icon_confused.gif face and I smile and say, no it's P.A.U.L.E like some of your said before, I know people dont listen! I know it's hard sometimes and I am the first one to forget someone's name, but it's so funny when friends or ours notice this conversation for the first time, I can see their heads going up and down with this Oh, I get what they said now! icon_razz.gif

Well I respond to anything that is kind of close since my DH's name happens to be Paul not to confuse anyone, but phone calls at our house are sometimes very confusing or extremely funny.... do you want to speak to MR or Mrs Paul ... you get the long pause at the other end, then we say, is there an e or not at the end?

Anyhow I have several friend that call me POOL or Pooly or they always want to write Paule with an accent on top! I gave up a long time ago on my name. But when it comes to food, I always try a few more times.

By the way, thanks for starting this one, I have yet to hear Fondue for Fondant, and I will surely try not to LOL when I do hear it, but I am sure I will smile from ear to ear and remember this post.

Ok, I am done... icon_lol.gif

Good Luck thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:23am
post #36 of 230

Okay, I've just gotta dive into this one.

My sister-in-law, who happens to be an elementary school teacher, drives me crazy with her speech. I won't even get into how she writes. {shudder} Some of it comes from her mother and sister too, but much of it is all hers and hers alone.

Anyway, no matter how many times DH and I correct her, she pronounces wrought iron as "roth iron". The last couple of years she has gotten into the habit of adding an "r" sound at the end of certain words, especially the word "Yeah" (pronounced "yeahr" by her - not yay). They also constantly refer to prostate (when talking about someone being tested for, or finding out someone has, cancer) as "prostrate". There are a few others, but I can't think of them right now.

As for those of you who have heard people refer to the fondant as fondue, maybe they think poured fondant is made in a fondue pot. icon_confused.gif

Who knows? Someone else that drove me crazy regarding cakes specifically, is my Wilton instructor at Michael's. Very sweet, but she called couplers "cooplers" and when making a dam to keep the filling in a cake, she referred to it as a bridge. Very annoying to me.

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:33am
post #37 of 230

There is a young woman is my area that calls it fan-d-ant and she makes cakes!
The one that bothers me is agg instead of egg.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:04am
post #38 of 230

icon_lol.gif This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time! I am Mexican-American and my Wonderful, Beautiful ( I cannot say enough "ful" words to describe her ) Grandma used to pronounce words of French derivation (ie. chauffer, champagne, chandelier) with a "ch" sound (like in church) instead of the "sh" sound because she was so afraid to BE mispronouncing words! icon_surprised.gif I'd try and try to explain to her that THOSE words were ok to say with the "ch" sound... She'd just look at me with this look like, "you poor thing; you are going to get made fun of..." icon_confused.gif I LOVED her to death!

But my real pet peeves are 1. ALL of Rachel Ray's lingo (yumm-o, sammy, E-V-O-O, delish ) icon_mad.gif Someone STOP her! icon_lol.gif

2. When people say, "Take the baby a bath" instead of GIVE him a bath

3. Sang-wich instead of Sandwich

4. AND I hate hate hate when people call me Lydia instead of Lynda (pronounced LINDA) AAAAAARRRGGG icon_mad.gif I mean since when does Lydia have the letter N in it? I swear I used to get into so much trouble in school for "not answering" roll call icon_lol.gif

greatturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greatturtle Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:36am
post #39 of 230

icon_biggrin.gif OMG! I just read your post about Rachel Ray and her irritating expressions (i.e. "YUMMO"!) I had to post how much I agree.....thought I was the only one. And I'm Mexican American too, so I know what you mean about the stuff your Grandmother says, bless her!!! icon_biggrin.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 21 May 2007 , 8:14am
post #40 of 230

Darn.. I'd sure bother alot of you..

I say "pop" not soda.. most Canadians call it pop
I use my blinker, not my turn signal
I call the remote the "flicker" as in flicking the channels
vacuum not sweeper
I ask where is the washroom, not the restroom
and of course adding the "eh" onto the end of every sentence. icon_lol.gif (actually I hope I don't do that, though we are known to do it) icon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 May 2007 , 9:01am
post #41 of 230

I hate the word 'nice', it's so non-descript, and too frequently used when people mean something else! I also hate people who misspell my name - it Trudi with an I at the end, but you wouldn't believe the number of people who insist on putting a Y at the end, even when I've written my name down for them to copy - it's like they know better and I'm spelling my name wrong!!! My FIL still spells my name with a Y after 6 years, there are times when I want to thump him, I think it's just rude!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 May 2007 , 9:09am
post #42 of 230

I have to admit, I like Rachel Ray, even though I usually am easily irritated by chipper, super-perky people. icon_smile.gif

I didn't like her much at first, because I thought she seemed fake, but after watching her show for a while (30 Minute Meals), I realized she is for real. I don't think any of it is an act. For some people that may not matter--they're going to be annoyed by her anyway--but it made me like her. She is who she is, and she seems to be a nice, happy person for the most part.
I could do without "yummo" though. lol

Now the Food Network personality I can't watch is Giada DeLaurentis. She seems nice enough, and her food looks yummo (ha!), but her affectations and facial expressions annoy me.

We say "blinker" here in Utah, too. I don't know anyone who calls it a turn signal, though of course that's its official name.

We call soda, "pop," too. I personally use both soda and pop interchangeably, but when I was growing up it was always called pop.

Another pet peeve: library pronounced "libary." There are two Rs!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 May 2007 , 9:23am
post #43 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

We say "blinker" here in Utah, too. I don't know anyone who calls it a turn signal, though of course that's its official name.

That's funny, every British person I know calls it an indicator, which I believe is our 'official' term!

Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #44 of 230

How could I forget my mom's own language.

Our favorite -

Library is "Lie-berry"

And my grandmother pronounces the days of the week with an "ee" sound at the end. "Mondee, Tuesdee, Wednesdee..."

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:40pm
post #45 of 230

Oh my friend's husband says "pop" too, and I call all soda "coke". They both drive my husband nuts. My husband says "I wanna talk at you." Or "Can I talk at her?" What's that!?

A girl at my work let it be known that she hates the word "nostril", so we now work it into every possible conversation.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #46 of 230

bonjovibabe, my aunt-in-law is the same way about her name, Treacy. You'd better spell it right once she's informed you, though. icon_smile.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:03pm
post #47 of 230

The one that bugs me is when people say "bagel" with a "short a" instead of with a "long a"...I don't know why but it bothers me so much!!!

I must bother Trent though...I use scrumptious and yummy so much in commenting on cakes...I'll have to leave a "yummy" comment... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My DH can't stand it when I say "windscreen" instead of "windshield".. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is just hiliarious!!!!!!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:12pm
post #48 of 230

My grandfather hates the word "fixin" as in, "I am fixin to go to the store" he is always wanting to know what I broke that needs "fixin"

CajunDaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CajunDaisy Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #49 of 230

This thread has been really fun to read! Here in Louisiana we have our own way of saying things and I'm sure I can't remember them all -

The word "pass" seems to be interchangeable in sentences, such as "Pass an iron over my shirt."

Putting a "pallet" on the floor is basically putting blankets on the floor as a temporary bed.

No Soda or Pop for us.... it is ALL just "Coke."

Turn Signals? Nope, blinkers here... and many seem to be an optional thing on cars in our area for the lack of use! haha

A "washateria" is a place you can do laundry!

Ok, I know we must sound ridiculous! hahahaha

StaceyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyA Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:21pm
post #50 of 230

I love this...my mom and I keep venting to each other about our grammatically-challenged, yet lovable husbands, whose language will make your skin crawl.
My husband says "air-bow" instead of elbow, and "tore" instead of toe. I thought he was kidding around when we first got married but then I heard his MOTHER! OMG she is even worse!
To top it all off, I am a preschool teacher who corrects the language of kids all day long and his greatest pet peeve is to be corrected! He is truly wonderful and helps with everything, but sometimes I just have to turn a deaf ear.
By the way, have you ever heard anyone call Hors D'oeuvres..... "horse doovers"?

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:26pm
post #51 of 230

funny thread.. my DH says I-Run for iron... and I know he knows better.... afterall I am the southerner not him!

Kathrynsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathrynsgoodies Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #52 of 230

Couldn't help myself - after I picked my self up off the floor from laughing so hard icon_lol.gif - I just had to respond.

I heard Sandra Lee (Semi Homemade on Food Network) call it Fan -da ant the other day. My DH happened to be watching with me and even he looked at me like she was crazy.......

Around here:
everything is Coke or Pepsi (even if its not ) - depending on what side of the county you are standing in at the time.

My DH and I went to Clemson University, but if you listen closely during sporting events people call it Clemzon. Huge sticking point with us !!

Just had to put mine - gotta go get off this very addictive website and go meet the school bus. Thanks for the laughs.......

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #53 of 230

CajunDaisy! With you all the WAY! I live in Western Ky !! Now, my hubby says "stir" for "steer" like he "stirs the car, but, he STEERS his coffee"! Go figure! After 35 years...I just laugh.

When I visited South Africa and we ask for a "napkin" at a restaurant we wondered why the servers looked at us like we were crazy. It's because they refer to diapers as "nappies"! LOL In our hotel we asked where was the public bathroom. The desk clerk said (in the most BEAUTIFUL S. A. accent) "You have a "bauth" in your own room"! "No, the RESTROOM" she looked at us so oddly and said...."we have no place to lie down in the lobby" FINALLY our pastor rescued us and asked for the Public Toilets! He NEVER let us live that one down! LOL

Beth in KY

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:45pm
post #54 of 230

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that I'm "fixin' to" do just about anything I'm thinking about accomplishing. I'm down here in southern "Weezieana" too. But I'm all a wreck. I was born in Alabama, which is where most of my family is, there and Texas. I grew up most of my life in Arkansas, right across the border from Texas. And now I've been down here in NOLA for 14 years. So I have no distinctive accent from any place, just a marriage of all of them. EVERYONE LAUGHS AT ME! Someone the other day called me Suzanne Sugarbaker. Yes, Cajun Daisy, what kind of COKE would you like. I prefer the coke Diet Dr. Pepper. I do MAKE groceries. I like my sandwiches dressed. And my mama 'n'em are all doing well.

Ironbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:50pm
post #55 of 230

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif @ bethola and sarahnicole. love it.

Speaking of other regional differences: I say "buggy" sometimes for shopping cart. A friend of mine says "pocketbook" for purse and I tease her and say it's not a book and doesn't go in your pocket.

OK, do you say "pee-can", "puh-cahn" or "pih-can"? (pecan)

icon_lol.gif

bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:55pm
post #56 of 230

PUH-CAHN! and in KY "We 'cain't do no better!" LOL

Beth in KY

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:56pm
post #57 of 230

wait! i almost forgot! we missed someone who came to our house the other day. she left a note that nearly sent dh on a murderous rampage... she used pop as a verb. twice. popped by.

also, when my grandma says lawned (instead of lawn) she always was just mowing the lawned. (what?)

but i use blinker. sorry. i use soda for almost everything, but i use cola when it is cola. almost everyone else around here just says pop.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:03pm
post #58 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

... A friend of mine says "pocketbook" for purse and I tease her and say it's not a book and doesn't go in your pocket.

OK, do you say "pee-can", "puh-cahn" or "pih-can"? (pecan)

icon_lol.gif

LOL!! Oh my gosh, women haven't called them "pocketbooks" for decades!!

Pecan: Calling it a PEA-con drives me nuts! (no pun intended!). We call it pih-CON.

And one more .... men calling 2 kinds of clothing "shorts". THey call those short pants worn in the summer "shorts"; and they call their underwear "shorts". So when hubby asked me to get him a pair of shorts, I pull the "summer pants" out of this drawer, just because I like to hear him complain on how "I didn't want shorts! I wanted SHORTS!"

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about adding "R"'s to words. Like you don't WASH your hands .... you WORSH your hands. You don't use the toilet (properly pronounced "TOY-let) .... you use the TOR-lit. Hate this one!

When I'm tired, I "go to bed". When my elderly aunt is tired she "goes to THE bed". She also never "cleans her dentures" ..... she "worshes her teeth"!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #59 of 230

Oh...my Mom says "drownded" instead of drowned. She also calls Alzheimer's disease "Old-Timer's", no matter how many times we correct her, which drives me crazy! She also adds "the" in front of a lot of words, as in, "That boy you went to school with got caught smoking THE marijuana!". That one cracks me up!
I grew up with a friend who used to say "libary", "ps-ghetti", and every chicken nugget ever, whether it came from the school cafeteria, her mom's kitchen, or Burger King, was a "Chicken McNugget". Aghh!
I have a friend here who makes "sam-wiches" with "man-aise". Love her to death, but those words make me cringe! lol

bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 7:13pm
post #60 of 230

nannaraquel: MY MEMAW Polly used to say "The Mary-wanna-Jane" for Marijuana! LOL She also "worshed her teeth" indydebi! The laundry room was called "The Worsh House" because that is what she had when I was a little girl. She washed the clothes in an outbuilding!

This is a "FUN" thread! OOPS! I think some are cringing over that! LOL

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%