I Can't Stand It When....

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm by mdsquared

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 230

people pronounce fondant as fondue!!!!! dunce.gif OMG! Do people just not take the time to actually read or sound out the word?! I was at a little kids function where they were decorating sugar cookies, when my friend introduced me as her cake friend to her mil. Out of nowhere, this lady next to us butts in and takes over the conversation about how she's been doing cakes "long before that FONDUE stuff"!!! icon_eek.gif I ignored it the first time, corrected her the second, the third time I had to excuse myself!! It was embarrasing just being in the conversation!!! I know some people pronounce it "fondaunt", some people say "fondant", but I draw the line at FONDUE!! icon_lol.gif OMG! thanks for letting me vent! icon_biggrin.gif

229 replies
berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 230

Well, let's just hope it's chocolate fondue she will use for the cake instead of cheese or worse, the oil! LOL Gotta love show offs and know it alls! LOL

Melissa

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 230

Some people just dont know any better.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 230

Well, it kinda makes you wonder what kind of cakes she made, you know, before the fondue stuff!!!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 230

Too funny! I haven't heard anyone call it that, but nothing really surprises me, lol!

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 230

OMG! I was just in A.C. Moore and this lady was telling her friend that she should get some of the "Fondue" to cover her wonder mold she was doing for her daughter's Barbie cake. I had to stop myself from laughing in her face. That was my first time hearing someone call it that. I thought it would be the last, but I guess not. Lol

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 230

Next time you should educate her that fondant has been used for centuries, much longer than (I hope) she's been around. This is just the latest revival.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #8 of 230

I guess it takes all kinds.

I probably would have just fell on the floor laughing at her.

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #9 of 230

How funny! I took a cake to a baby shower for a friend today and someone asked me how I make the "fondue." I had never heard anyone call it that either, but it did crack me up. I kept it to myself because she is my friend, but I was dying laughing on the inside. : )

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #10 of 230

Well, my sister has been calling it that for a long time. I have corrected her so many times, but nothing. She now says, "you know that Fondue, fandant, fondat, stuff" I just laugh it off. How are they to know. The English language is so strange you never know how to say or spelll anything.

Vicky

Hey I was born and raised in this country and I can't spell even if someone held a gun to my head and asked me to spell my own name. I actually spell it out loud at times. It really isn't that hard to spell BEATRIZ but I have missed spelled that.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #11 of 230

ok I have to be different I cant stand hearing or reading the word yummmm or yummy. It really does strike a nerve.....

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:29am
post #12 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

ok I have to be different I cant stand hearing or reading the word yummmm or yummy. It really does strike a nerve.....

Ditto.... icon_lol.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #13 of 230
Quote:

Thats too funny! I have a friend who can't stand the words delicious or scrumptious. He cringes everytime he hears it so of course I have to use it often! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:40am
post #14 of 230
Quote:

So that would make you NOT a Rachael Ray fan? My hubby bought me a T-shirt that said "Yumm-o" on it, just because he knew it would pi$$ me off! It still has the tags on it.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:43am
post #15 of 230

oooohhh. my husband HATES it when anyone (mostly his brother) says yummy, snacks, or chat.
I thought it was just him! i guess not! : )

indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #16 of 230

CHAT! OMG, my hubby uses that and I just go thru the roof! Who in the he** says "let's chat" or "we were chatting". aaaauuuugggghhhh!!!! icon_mad.gif (and he always pronounces both "T"s in "chatting", too!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:49am
post #17 of 230

Thats too funny! I have a friend who can't stand the words delicious or scrumptious. He cringes everytime he hears it so of course I have to use it often! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

I AGREE I DO NOT LIKE SCRUMPTIOUS EITHER..... DELICIOUS ON HOW ITS USE IS FINE WITH ME..EXAMPLE..

THAT WAS DELICOUS.

THAT IS SOOOO DELICIOUS...YUM.."IM CRINGING OVER HERE!!!!!!"

LOLOLOL GLAD IM NOT ALONE...

indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #18 of 230

oh and another one .... my mother pronounces that one city in Tennessee as "Men-vis". She KNOWS she's saying it wrong but for some reason she thinks it makes her sound "homey" to mispronounce it.

She also says "nun" instead of "non". When she would refer to "nun-smokers", I'd have to (yes,HAVE TO!) tell her that "i dont' think nuns smoke".

People who say "mill" instead of "meal". People who say "fill" instead of "feel". People who refer to my city as "Inda-naplis".

I had a cousin who would ask for a "bow" of cereal. Even tho' I was a little kid, I wanted to scream at her "...there's an "L" at the end of that word!!!"

My youngest sister has become an icon in our family for using the word "posta". You know ..... how you're "posta" put your socks on before you put your shoes on?"

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:58am
post #19 of 230

I can't stand the word "moist."

So far I haven't heard anyone say "fondue" for "fondant," but now I won't be surprised when it happens. icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #20 of 230

Ok...I'll join...

It positively makes me postal when my sister says something is "fun".

You know, she'll say "Oh, how fun!" instead of "how cute" or "that's great" or just about anything. SOOO annoying!

indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #21 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Ok...I'll join...

Oh gosh that drives me nuts when the room decorating shows want to make a room "fun"!

I told my hubby one day, "It's my bedroom! It's not a room you have FUN in!" He gave me a look and said, "What?!" then we both burst out laughing!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #22 of 230

I have had two people in the last week call fondant "fondue" when they were talking to me about cakes. I just thought it was a local mistake, but I guess not!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:14am
post #23 of 230

This is funny (the topic) so I just have to add to it. I have a horrible phrase that I use..I try REALLY hard NOT to, but it just comes out. If I have an itch (say..on my back) I will ask hubby to "itch my back". It drives him nutty!! But he says it's kinda cute, and that he'll get over it.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #24 of 230

i used to be a representative for a company that does home parties exclusively for women (yes it's THAT kind of company icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif) and one day a lady called me asking if we sold "ling-a-ree"... i responded that yes we sold "long-sja-ray", would she like me to send her a catalog...and then she goes on and on about a party they'd done a short time before that sold tons of "ling-a-ree"...

i'm thinking "lady, i just gave you a somewhat subtle polite hint that you're not saying it correctly...what part of that did you miss?"

now my husband, best friend, and i all call it that just for fun!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #25 of 230

HEHEHE....I say itch my back too!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am also from a part of Pennsylvania that says "younz guys". It drives ppl not from around here nuts! I also say "pop" instead of soda. My best friend who joined the Navy after high school and her husband laugh everytime they hear me say those words. Oh, and something else he thought was funny...I say "sweeper" instead of vaccuum. I do say fondant though!!! icon_biggrin.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:34am
post #26 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charb31

This is funny (the topic) so I just have to add to it. I have a horrible phrase that I use..I try REALLY hard NOT to, but it just comes out. If I have an itch (say..on my back) I will ask hubby to "itch my back". It drives him nutty!! But he says it's kinda cute, and that he'll get over it.

My husband's family says this too! I tell my dh, "You SCRATCH an itch, you don't itch and itch!" Now he just says it to torment me. icon_smile.gif

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:37am
post #27 of 230

OMG, How funny! A co-worker and I were talking just yesterday about the cakes I did for our fundraising event on Thursday. I had covered both cakes in fondant and my friend told me she overheard 2 ladies talking about the white fondue icing on my cakes. She said she actually heard one of them asking if I made it in a fondue pot and then poured it over the cakes and it hardened up.

She had to walk away to keep from laughing, and I laughed so hard I thought I would pee my pants. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:47am
post #28 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

.... Oh, and something else he thought was funny...I say "sweeper" instead of vaccuum.

Now I'm confused ... because it IS a sweeper! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I also go batty when people refer to their "blinker" instead of a "turn signal". (I bet it's a regional thing because no one around here calls it a "blinker" but it seems like I hear it in all the shows out of California.) If you ever get a ticket for failing to use these, I'm sure it's a "turn signal violation" not a "blinker violation".

And is this a regional thing, too? Another one that I never hear people use the term around here, but it's used in the movies and on TV shows ..... The little machine that automatically changes the channel on your TV is a "remote" or "remote control" .... not a "clicker". aaaauuuggghhhh!!

(wow, I had no idea my list was so long! I'll try to shut up now!) icon_redface.gif

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:48am
post #29 of 230

You should let them know you just pour the fondue over the cake, and that they should try it!!! haha...that would be really funny!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 20 May 2007 , 6:01am
post #30 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif here ya go, my mil says "fun, fun, fun!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%