TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:27pm
post #121 of 230

any one say sodawater...lololol

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:28pm
post #122 of 230

Ok, since I already burned the biscuits...here is a link to websters

**edited to actually INSERT said link...
http://www.webster.com/dictionary/depot

There are two little volume looking things beside the word. The first one is what my DH says (and where the trains are)...the second one is what the commercials and the REST of the free world says when talking about the big orange box in the sky.

Now I see a limitation to the internet... icon_biggrin.gif

My friend from Jersey City had no idea what I was talking about when i offered here sweet tea. She said it is Tea with Sugar.

And then I had no idea what she meant when she said she was goign to the shore. She meant THE Shore...as Jersey Shore...

And sis we mention Worsh....my MIL worshes the car.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:28pm
post #123 of 230

My husband has a few words that he just can not seem to pronounce correctly. He is from California but his mom's side of the family is Portuguese so I think it may have something to do with that.

This one drives me crazy: eyezore. He does not say eyesore, he says "eyezore". I try to explain that something ugly makes your eyes sore from looking at it and he keeps saying eyezore.

I can't think of his other ones right now. His Portuguese grandma says "cook-esh" instead of cookies but I think that is cute.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:31pm
post #124 of 230

Just thought of a couple of my dad's - he says Karn instead of Corn and Harse instead of Horse. I think he just does it to be silly.

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:35pm
post #125 of 230

How about "skoo" for school.

"Warsh" for wash.

"Wrasslin'" for wrestling.

And speaking of "taste of" something, my grandma says "feel of." For example, "That looks like nice fabric. Le'me feel of it."

Also, "smell of". "That milk may be spoilt. Le'me smell of it." Which reminds me -- "spoilt" instead of spoiled is another one!

I'm a Kansas ex-pat... so I can say it: Kansans are the KINGS of funky pronunciations! Any other Jayhawkers out there agree with me?????? BTW: I love and miss you guys so much! Darn tootin'!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:46pm
post #126 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

my Mawmaw (God rest her soul) only shopped at the WalMark.... she is probably chuckling in heaven right now... crazy ole woman icon_smile.gif Oh and I forget to tell you all that my stepdad doesn't rinse the dishes he is going to the wrench the dishes.... hahahahaha

Well, uh, YEAH! What ELSE would he do with the dishes? LOL

Beth in KY

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:51pm
post #127 of 230
Quote:
Quote:

They also constantly refer to prostate (when talking about someone being tested for, or finding out someone has, cancer) as "prostrate".

That is too funny! I work at a store that helps raise money and awareness for Prostate Cancer. A few years ago, just before it first started, the District Manager was visiting our store and was talking about it and he kept calling it "prostrate." It drove me crazy! Then when it actually did start and we were accepting donations, we had to scan this barcode that would add the donation and it came up as "prostrate cancer" I HATED IT! The worst part is that our district manager had nothing to do with adding stuff to the registers, which means there was some other moron who said it that way too! AND to top it all off, our district manager always boasted that he was a "prostrate cancer survivor!"

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:54pm
post #128 of 230

Hey, I warsh my clothes in a warsher, not a washing machine. And here in Richmond, Ky. you better pronounce it wrasslin' unless you want a beatin'. LOL.
My pet peeve is when certain family members use the word death when discussing their hearing. "I'm death in my right ear". Drives me nuts. Or they say alumnia foil instead of aluminum foil.

StaceyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyA Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:10am
post #129 of 230

HEY Y'ALL
OK I'm "fixin'" to embarrass myself.... Have to tell about my mother-in-law and hope my husband NEVER sees this...
"calinin chair" - recliner
"zink" - sink
"'mote control" - remote control
and my personal favorite
"eternity clothes" - you know, the clothes you wear when you are PREGNANT?
Great woman, wonderful grandmother, and has the biggest heart you could imagine, but grammar, grammar, grammar!!!!

My 2 year old calls icing in the decorator bags "squeeze it" because I always tell her, "Don't squeeze it."
"Mama, I want some squeeze it on finger."

Anyone hear "mines", as in "something that belongs to me"?

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:15am
post #130 of 230

"I'm death in my right ear".

OMG My husband says death for hearing and that drives me INSANE!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:15am
post #131 of 230

I started hearing this one during the Clarence Thomas trial and ever since it drives me insane:

Harassment pronounced as "HAIR-uss-mint"

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #132 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

I started hearing this one during the Clarence Thomas trial and ever since it drives me insane:

That's another one on my list!!! Have you noticed that a lot of words get extra syllables or some "foreign" emphasis once they get on national TV? Like Steffi Graff? With a short A instead of a long A.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:25am
post #133 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

OMG, my hubby told me to put that one on herewhen I was asking him for ideas on this thread! One "urban legend" we heard was because the news casters didn't want to say "her A$$ ment".

Hubby was a good-will ambassador to Jamaica in the 70's. He pointed to the ocean and asked a native how to pronouce the name of the ocean. The native looked at him odd and said, "cara-BE-un". Hubby said, "I know some people who say "cah-RIB-e-on". The native said, "Yes .... we know!" in a tone of voice that indicated he thought those who said it wrong were putting on airs about it, too!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #134 of 230

A couple others

My dad likes to order chicken fageeters from a tex/mex restaurant. He just doesn't get the pronounciation.

My aunt puts ordthonics (orthodics) in her shoes

My mom complains about the threads (treads) on her tires and shoes.

In memory of my grandmother-in-law we take tyrenol for our headaches!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #135 of 230

Ok icon_lol.gif This one is for all of you but especially Dolfin. You said your grandson calls "it a biscuit"? When my son was three yrs old (he's twelve now and still can't pronounce words that have an "s" and another consonant together icon_rolleyes.gif ) he used to say spoon - "POON". icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif AND he'd say "hortey" for horsey. I tried to start having him say horse but it would come out "WHOre" icon_eek.gif I immediately told him to go back to "hortey"! icon_lol.gif

THen (for Indydebi and Dolfin) When my kids were around I didn't want to say the word "idiota" ((Spanish) for idiot -pronounced ee-thyoh-ta)) in front of them so I started saying Ray Liota. I still do even though they know the real word. ex. iNo seas Ray Liota! icon_lol.gif

Finally, for mdutcher, I live in Tx and we went to a Mexican restaurant for tacos and they had "Weeneh w/ Egg" as a taco choice! icon_lol.gif We say Weeneh (weiner) but just being goofy! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:57am
post #136 of 230

Oh yeah, and Indydebi, we say "Him-butt-ment" for harassment all the time, but also just to be goofy icon_razz.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:55am
post #137 of 230

i am notorious for saying bad things and making up words... i always say lets go have a subway or lets eat a mcdonalds ... i make up words by mistake i work at a bread bakery and told a customer that a certain loaf was the multi-est grain of bread we had....
i hate when people say BAGel and when people younger then me call me dear or hun or sweetie.... its so patronising (sp)

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:08am
post #138 of 230

I am really cracking up reading these posts - yes, Rachel Ray is sooooooo annoying and I too hate the term "yummo".

My hubby is from India and some of the terms he uses are different as well and we both tend to mispronounce the other's language at times in a funny way - - for instance, instead of stifle (pronounced with a long "i" as in ice) he will say "stiffle" which just kills me. In his mother tongue the word for slow / slowly is "nidana" but I tend to say "nidhaanaa" which means dead - my FIL cracks up everytime and reminds me not to go THAT slow, LOL.... icon_eek.gif

Also a really good one is a private joke between us mostly - you know that commercial for Kay Jewelers that says "every kiss begins with Kay" ?
Well, we crack up every single time we hear it since kay in his language means sex, specifically the F-word, so we laugh and say no, every kay begins with kiss! icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Monica, this really cracked me up: "A girl at my work let it be known that she hates the word "nostril", so we now work it into every possible conversation." How do you keep a straight face? LOL...

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:24am
post #139 of 230

Lynda-bob your killing me, I think I'm having a depends moment!!!!

My grandson is 5 and I really have no idea why he calls it a biscuit and I'm kinda afraid to ask. The subject came up when we were discussing the diffrence between boys and girls. He said boys have penis's and girls have biscuits.

Well I gotta go worsh the dishes, put my choose on, go to Walmark and pick up some sody pop and weenuhs and maybe get a little K from my honey!!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:41am
post #140 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

Lynda-bob your killing me, I think I'm having a depends moment!!!!

My grandson is 5 and I really have no idea why he calls it a biscuit and I'm kinda afraid to ask. The subject came up when we were discussing the diffrence between boys and girls. He said boys have penis's and girls have biscuits.

Well I gotta go worsh the dishes, put my choose on, go to Walmark and pick up some sody pop and weenuhs and maybe get a little K from my honey!!

LOL! icon_lol.gif

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:55am
post #141 of 230

dolfin - remember now, u gotta start off with a kiss before u get to the kay... icon_lol.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:57am
post #142 of 230

You guys are hilarious! I just read the first and last page of this thread but now I think I am going to have to read all the in between.

Okay, my sister might kill me for this as she also is a member here. Anyway as long as we are discussing words that are forked up by other people. My sister says "Marcedes instead of Mercedes" also "Fabreeze instead of Febreze" oh oh oh, one more. "Monzerella instead of Mozerella"!

icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif That drives me insane but God love her she's my sister.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #143 of 230

ROTFLMAO icon_redface.gif guess I gotta little anxious! How about start with a little kiss and end with a big K

cakemommy Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:02am
post #144 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

I can't stand the word "moist."

So far I haven't heard anyone say "fondue" for "fondant," but now I won't be surprised when it happens. icon_smile.gif

I am freakin' crackin' up over here!!!!! My sides actually hurt!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I am saying the word and yeah, I don't like it either.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:05am
post #145 of 230

[quote="Charb31"]This is funny (the topic) so I just have to add to it. I have a horrible phrase that I use..I try REALLY hard NOT to, but it just comes out. If I have an itch (say..on my back) I will ask hubby to "itch my back". It drives him nutty!! But he says it's kinda cute, and that he'll get over it.[/quote

That is so funny!!! My husband does the same thing. He'll say "Can you itch my scratch!!" icon_confused.gif What a dork but I love him.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:11am
post #146 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaraquel

Okay, I've got one...my Dad, for some WEIRD reason, ends several place names in "ah". I lived in Hawaii for several years, but if my Dad spoke about where I lived he'd tell people I was in "Hawai-ah". And one of my closest friends is from, in my Dad's words, "Ohi-ah". Drives me crazy!

I could not stop giggling at the things indydebi wrote, I was reading it to DH and we were both cracking up!

And Jen, we only tease you because we love you! lol

That's funny because my Grandfather, lives in Kansas, says "Miamah" instead of Miami. He used to watch the show "Miamah Vice"!

Amy

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:41am
post #147 of 230

We've got TONS of them back home in NW PA...my Hubby loves to tease my family and I about them, and since I joined the Navy I stopped saying a lot of them to stop the teasing! lol

---Redd up: to clean or straighten up (Ex: We have company coming over, go redd up your room.)
---Crick: creek
---Kife: to steal, or to borrow without asking (Ex: That girl just kifed my pen! Or... Hey, I kifed the stapler from your desk, I'll bring it back when I'm done!)
---Biff: to fall, usually in a dramatic manner (Ex: She tripped at the top of the stairs and totally biffed!)
---Oleo: margerine
---Chipped ham, or chip-chopped ham: finely-cut deli ham, which my family tends to drench in bbq sauce and eat like sloppy joes.
---Lickin' : spanking (Ex: If you kids don't calm down your all gonna get lickins!)
---Kranz: crayons
---Jaggers, jiggers, or jaggerbushes: any plant with thorns
---Gobs: Two "cakey" chocolate cookies with bc filling between
---Hoagie: sub, hero, submarine, anything else that you call a really big sandwich!
---Flip-flops: sandals, thongs, or, in Hawaii, slippuhs!
---Conniption fit: tantrum? (Ex: Okay, calm down, there's no reason to throw a conniption fit!)
---Gumband: rubber band, elastic band
---Grinny: chipmunk (I have no idea where this one came from, but my Grandmother says it, and it cracks me up!)
---Doohicky: random object (Ex: Could you hand me that doohicky over there on the table?)
---Dog box: dog house (The first time I ever said this, I though DH was going to have me committed! LOL)
---Clodhoppers: boots or big shoes (Ex: Ken left his clodhoppers in front of the door again!)
---Bawdle: bottle (Just an accent thing, I guess, but my DH loves this one, too!)
---Ignernt: perverted
---Spicket: faucet
---Tossle cap: knit cap, for wearing in cold weather
---Ungion: onion (Have no idea where that "G" comes from, but I hear people say it all the time!)
---Wedgie: A "hoagie" made with pizza crust instead of a roll.

I'm sure there are tons more, and I'm sure I'll continue to add to this list! lol

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:08am
post #148 of 230

BTW.....Are Pennsylvanians the only people who refer to their state by the postal abbreviation?!? I know others type it, but we use it in converations! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Back in AZ" or "I'm driving to TX this weekend", but I think nothing of saying, "I'll be out of town next weekend, I'm going to PA"! lol

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:39am
post #149 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaraquel

BTW.....Are Pennsylvanians the only people who refer to their state by the postal abbreviation?!? I know others type it, but we use it in converations! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Back in AZ" or "I'm driving to TX this weekend", but I think nothing of saying, "I'll be out of town next weekend, I'm going to PA"! lol

Southeastern PA here! Anyone else mention pronouncing creek as crick, it's the one philly accent faux pas I can't shake!

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:53am
post #150 of 230

OMG, this thread is sooooo funny. One that I didn't see mentioned yet is the word sack instead of bag. That one plucks a nerve for me along with pop instead of soda.

My father is one who likes to add the letter R to words such as Frederal Government and worsh. He's from one of them hollers in the VA mountains, you know, down yonder. I never have figured out where yonder is and what a holler is.

Some of these posts remind me of the old Sniglets books, does anyone remember these? It was a funny dictionary of sorts, made up words for things that didn't have a name or something like that. I'll have to look some up.

And back to the orginal post of this, I did have a customer who called fondant fondue too. No matter how many times I repeated it, she couldn't get it right. I chalked it up to the fact that we work in a factory and have masks over our faces and sometimes it's hard to hear people clearly.

OH, just thought of some from my DH. Icing is icining (found out later that he got this from his mom), and you don't aerate the lawn, you airyate it. I know there's more, but I was laughing so hard through the whole thread that I've forgotten by now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%