Do You Do Cakes And Cookies?

Baking By 1234me Updated 23 May 2007 , 2:23am by MichelleM77

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 35

just wondering how many here do both? Or do you only do cookies? I do both and there are many times I wish I only did cookies icon_smile.gif I enjoy them so much more than the cakes! Just wondering what others take on this is?

34 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 35

I do both. Lately I've been making my kids more cookies than cake because I don't eat sugar cookies and I'm trying to lose weight. icon_twisted.gif
I mostly do stuff for home so I get to pick what I do and the kids at school beg for my cookies.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 35

Just started offering both and enjoy both parts. porblem with cakes, they are needed mostly on weekends and that cuts into family time. Cookies I can make a couple of days ahead to dry them, so I have something to do in the beginning of the week

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 35

I sell both from my home based business. I am getting to where I rather do the cookies. People flip when I tell them the price of a cake, but they will pay $72 for 24 decorated cookies. Go figure!

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 35

I like doing cookies more as well. Just starting to get excited about cakes...they make me nervous icon_redface.gif I am hoping to eventually be comfortable with both....practice makes perfect icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 35

I do both but rather do cakes, I think cookies are more work, make dough,roll, bake,cool, make icing, decorate then wrap, all that rolling of the dough!! I like cakes better

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 35

i do both and plan to do both when i get my storefront also. in my area cookies will be a daily thing for the storefront where cakes will probably be more of a weekend need and a few during the week. i would also like to get into pies but that's going to be awhile since i've only done a few in my lifetime lol
Amy

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

I do both but rather do cakes, I think cookies are more work, make dough,roll, bake,cool, make icing, decorate then wrap, all that rolling of the dough!! I like cakes better

DITTO! thumbs_up.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 35

I do only cakes, except for 3 times a year when all my students participate in cookie day. I make 12 dozen sugar cookies, flood them with RI, and then the kids decorate them. Each takes home thier own decorated cookies. Three times a year is more than enough of cookies for me. Give me cakes any time.

mars3131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mars3131 Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 35

I do both also but definitely would rather do cookies. The cookies are so much fun to do. I am still fairly new to baking but love to try new things.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 35

Yup, I do both. And I like to do both - I love the nitpicky small work on cookies, and I like to decorate cakes.

I'm toying with 'hand painted' cookies now. It's like the kitchen is my personal playground. icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 35

I do cookies also when it I get in the mood I think they are un but i would only do them for my kids I don't know anyone who would pay me $1 per inch maybe because they are not that good, but I would also not do them or anything less than...

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 35

I do a little bit of everything...have not done a real wedding cake yet, but someday I hope.

I do cookies, cupcakes, cakes (special occasion/event), cheesecakes, tortes, pies, trifles...basically any sort of gourmet pastry/dessert, I'll try my hand at it. icon_biggrin.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 35

I do cakes, cookies and cupcakes, but my favorite is cookies. I've just started doing them and have found my new passion. So many more options w/ cookies.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 35

i try to do both. i think i'm much better at the cookies. my cakes need a lot of practice. when i finally get a place though, i'd really like to do a little of everything

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:56pm
post #16 of 35

I love to decorate both .. but when it comes to baking I prefer cookies..

I am not very good at baking cakes..

If I could hire someone to do my baking I would be in seventh heaven !

icon_biggrin.gif Sherri

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 35

I've been making cookies for years and started making cakes a few months ago. I actually got inspired to do cakes by seeing all of the beautiful cakes here. You are all so talented! I have alot to learn but I am having so much fun!!!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #18 of 35

I'm way more comfortable with and better at cookies! I love doing cakes, though! I just don't have as much opportunity... icon_sad.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:09am
post #19 of 35

I've been making both for years. Each has its own set of challenges. When I'm doing cakes, I wonder why the heck I bother doing cookies. When I do cookies, I wonder why I bother doing cakes. LOL. Just nuts I guess.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #20 of 35

It all depends on my mood. I really really enjoy decorating cakes, but the clean up seems to be a lot worse for cakes. (ugh!!) However I have started to get a good pattern down for cookies so they don't seem to take me as long (I use to hate doing decorated cookies b/c they took so long)

I really enjoy both, but the cookies are easier on my hands and I have problems with them already (darn bakery job!) But I like what I can do with fondant/gumpaste/buttercream. So ask me everyday and i'll give you a different answer

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

Me too (see my two websites, listed below). Plus wedding cakes are more profitable for the time it takes.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:07pm
post #22 of 35

Fairytale, your cookies are just fabulous. When the kids tell me they need ideas, I put your photo album up on the screen for them to look at. Your skills and talent are amazing!

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:05pm
post #23 of 35

I do cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and candies. I love to do them all! I like to change it up instead of doing the same thing all of the time. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 35

I do both!! I always have orders for cookies that match the birthday cake!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:04pm
post #25 of 35

I do both, and like each for different reasons. I love the icing I use for cakes, as it's so easy to work with and tastes divine. The cookies I like because they are so portable, easy to serve, and versatile. (I've fallen in love with cookie bouquets because I get to decorate the pots as well as the cookies, and I love to paint.) But right now, I just want everyone to stop calling wanting things! May is such a busy, busy, month, and I could use a breather.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:44pm
post #26 of 35

I just do cookies...I think the people who do cakes here are amazing-I just don't have the patience.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:46pm
post #27 of 35

I do cakes and cookies, getting into molded chocolate and other candies.

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:42pm
post #28 of 35

I do both as well as pies and cupcakes, but cookies hands down are my all time favorite!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:51pm
post #29 of 35

I'm just doing cookies right now. When I have a place to legally do cakes, I would love to do birthday/celebration cakes (scared to death to ever do a wedding cake- would hate to ruin someone's day!), but I've only done cakes for my son's birthdays and need a lot of practice! Until then I'm legal for cakes, will just keep using the family as my guinea pigs. icon_smile.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #30 of 35

We do cookie and cakes - as well as cupcakes. Up until 1 month ago we did the HUGE chocolate and caramel covered apples and pretzel rods, but the mess wasn't worth it and we are WAY to busy with cakes and cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%