I've Been Snubbed!

Decorating By melxcloud Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 11:09am by da_goof

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:52pm
post #181 of 194

Wasn't that whole J.R. shooting thing a dream? Or was that Knots Landing.....argh, I've got my 80's sitcoms all mixed up.......

either way, maybe this cake thing is a dream that we all had...............?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:00am
post #182 of 194

Maybe we should just close this post so we don't all get our hopes up all the time..... thne if she ever comes back, she can write "the conclusion to the snubbed story" in the title of her post..............

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:08am
post #183 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by shujuana

Happy Belated Birthday to you, LionLadyDi!!!

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

da_goof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
da_goof Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:29pm
post #184 of 194

yea i keeping comming back to see what happened but it never here .

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 7:57pm
post #185 of 194

...this bothered me so much.

I think everyone at one time or another has felt your pain. i know i do.
i've been bringing in my practice cakes since course 1 last fall and i've finally decided to pursue this more as a potential side business. i've been asked to make cakes for birthdays for friends of mine and feel badly charging for it, basically just charge cost.

however, a few months ago (actually the monday after making my mother's wedding cake) i had an official order for a baby shower cake. I made the 3-D duck on a 13x9 cake and i was really happy with the way it turned out (especially considering it was my first 3-D cake and it was right after i finished baking the wedding cake) well everyone ooh and ahhed about the cake but the woman who ordered the cake, never asked how much she owed me. i literally waited all day, they cut the cake, ate the cake, and even cleaned up after the cake and still nothing as far as payment. i was so ticked!!! i finally emailed her and told her how much. the kicker here is that group has never asked me to do another cake. i really think its because they want to spend $20 on a cake from the grocery store and be done with the whole process. and quite frankly, i'm not willing to spend hours and hours on a cake, to make $20 (a loss of profit in the end)

another time, a co-worker of mine was leaving my department and i kind of 'volunteered' to make the cake (i say kind of because i'm very territorial about competitor cakes in my area, so if we were going to have cake for this co-worker, of course i'd make it). i made this 'pretty cake' (i think its in my pictures) and it was really quite good. everyone who ate it came up and raved (which made me very happy). my boss who was the one who i talked with about the cake never offered one single penny towards the cake. i couldn't believe this especially because he knows how long i work on these cakes, and how much pride i take in them but also because i am the lowest on the totem poll at work...meaning i make way way less than everyone else in our group. the funny part of this is i was asked by another person in my group to make another co-worker's birthday cake next week. he has said multiple times that he's going to pay me for the cake. I went and told my boss (the same one who didn't pay me for the other cake) and he actually requested that i do a certain kind of cake! I was so taken aback by the nerve that he who was not willing to pay me for my work, has the nerve to make requests.

and still a few weeks ago, a company sent over 2 cakes in celebration of their anniversary and everyone was so excited to have cake but once the first person bit into the cake they literally couldn't give it away. i had so much fun listening to people say, they've been spoiled by my cakes; if it wasn't one of my cakes they wouldn't eat it; they only eat cakes made by me. that really meant the world to me...so in the end, i guess it pays off.
thanks for listening and for allowing me a venue in which to vent.

chrysb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysb Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:23pm
post #186 of 194

I know what you mean. But in my case it was a relative that I made the cake for, and delivered ot the party. She asked me how much, I told her $ 25.00, for a full sheet, that had to have pictures on it. She said no problem. That was over a month ago, and still no payment. I ran into her husband at Mc donalds, and he told me she had a check for me. I told him to tell her to drop it in the mail, (even though she visits another relative every week that lives less than 5 mins from me)he said they would get it to me sometime. I'll be awfully busy next time she wants a cake. Chrysb

lionladydi Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm
post #187 of 194

Crysb, I would be picking up the phone and calling her. Tell her if she doesn't have time to drop the check by that you will come and pick it up.

babygreen, you will just have to learn to stand up for yourself. If you don't, no one else will! The next cake they want, just spit out a price. If they want a $20 cake let them go buy one and suffer through eating it. I know it feels good to hear compliments but compliments don't pay the cashier at the grocery store when you buy your supplies!

Good luck in the future.

Diane

da_goof Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #188 of 194

It is bad when they don't pay if thery ask. But you said you had volunteered to make it to me that would mean free. but if you would have said i will make the cake but it will be this much then i would think they would have to pay. hope this make sence. Just my too cents.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:44am
post #189 of 194

Ok...so has anyone heard anymore from this lady?

lionladydi Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #190 of 194

I emailed her 2 days ago and inquired again but no answer. She had only posted 20 times in a year so I would say she just doesn't get on here anymore.

Diane

antcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antcat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:04am
post #191 of 194

Think we've been "snubbed" this time? Sure seems like it...I keep checking back too because I was captivated by the story....maybe someday she'll get back to us with the conclusion icon_rolleyes.gif

As far as making cakes for work...I've done so many you could feed a third world country with them, but when it comes right down to it, they don't pay unless you ask and ask again. They tell me the same thing...they are spoiled and wouldn't eat anyone else's cakes...yadda, yadda...then mention they can get a 1/2 sheet cake at Costco for what? $15. or so? I finally got the nerve to say..."I guess you should go to Costco then, because I can't even make it for that price, let alone spend hours decorating it." Here's the kicker there...they started asking me to decorate a pre-purchased Costco cake that they get plain (no decorations)...you see, then "all" I have to do is decorate it...no problem...my time and supplies don't seem to factor in there. Bottom line? I've been foolishly teaching them to behave this way because I've been too shy to ask for real compensation!
icon_sad.gif
I'm learning, though. The last one I did, the party planner at least gave me a gift certificate for Sensaria (she knows I love their products)...I really appreciated that. I've been spreading the word that I've "retired" from making cakes...now they are all over me to pay for doing "just this one, pleeeease" for them. Ironic, huh?
icon_cool.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:29am
post #192 of 194

Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh ... I just read every post in this thread and was SO looking forward to finding out what happened!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Everemton, WHERE, OH WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!?!

lionladydi Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:25pm
post #193 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh ... I just read every post in this thread and was SO looking forward to finding out what happened!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Everemton, WHERE, OH WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!?!

I think Evermton has left the building.

Diane

da_goof Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 11:09am
post #194 of 194

Well I guess we will never know what happened. Like I said before maybe it was some to just get us going lol hahahaha and it worked. have a good day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%