How To Ship A Cake

Decorating By nathanikka Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 10:46pm by OCakes

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

I need some advice... I am making a cake for my parents anniversary and I need to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to ship it to them since I am 300+ miles away and cannot take it to them myself. Please help!!!

Thanks!

Karyn

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

This has been discussed many times. The only way to guarantee the arrival of the cake undamaged, or turned upside down, is to carry it on the plane.

If the cake is done in fondant, and tightly wrapped and packaged, sometimes it survives shipping.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 7

You might contact Sylvia Weinstock. She sends them on planes etc. She is good about helping and answering emails too. www.sylviaweinstock.com

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 7

I had a cake that was taken to New Jersey from MN it survived being brought on the plane and popped up in the overhead. Someone I knew took it with them. Even if it is a very large cake they might not allow it on the plane (Seats I mean). This was a 8" and 5" cake stacked and doweled.. You could fed ex it over night but that can be expensive. I put a big picture on the outside of the box so they saw what it looked like!

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 7

not that i have ever shipped a cake but.....what about freezing the cake and shipping it in a Styrofoam container with dry ice.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 7

In my photos is a picture that I got off the web. The original site is no longer there. (I tried to attach it, but can't figure out how)
Hope it helps...

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

There are bakeries that "flash freeze" cakes & ship them. I wonder if they would be helpful? There's one in Napa, CA - it's Oprah's favorite bakery actually - but I can't remember what they're called! I can figure it out if Sylvia cannot help you - I have it listed in my favorites somewhere... just send me a PM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%