Vibrant Color Icing

Decorating By somerset Updated 19 May 2007 , 3:39am by Wendoger

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 14

When I go into the grocery stores, I always go and take a look at their cakes. icon_smile.gif I want to know if someone can tell me how do they get the colors of the icing to look so dark and vibrant looking, very deep and rich. icon_surprised.gif

13 replies
hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 14

I think they buy the frosting pre-colored.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 14

I'm not sure how the grocery stores do it - I'm sure someone who has worked there could help out on that.

But, have you ever used Americlor gel colors for your icing? They are great and you can get beautiful rich shades.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 14

The grocery stores use liquid color so they just squirt a whole bunch into the icing...sometimes it appears watery...Americolors will give you the same look by adding a bit more gel color.

awolf24 Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

I'm not sure how the grocery stores do it - I'm sure someone who has worked there could help out on that.

But, have you ever used Americlor gel colors for your icing? They are great and you can get beautiful rich shades.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 14

The grocery stores use liquid color so they just squirt a whole bunch into the icing...sometimes it appears watery...Americolors will give you the same look by adding a bit more gel color.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 14

Darn double posting!!! Sorry!!

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the input you guys, I really do appreciate it.
I do use the Americolor, however I have never used gel.
Don't know how to use it. I thought that because they are
commercial I thought they used something else.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 14

I went to look at the Americolors and CC is out of a lot of the small colors. Do you know of any where else to get them?

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 14

I don't know where you would get them. But some of the bakeries order thier icings already colored. Boy are they hard to use most of the times. Others just add alot of color to the icings and store them in bowls over night. Longer you wait the darker the color will become.

doescakestoo Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 14

I don't know where you would get them. But some of the bakeries order thier icings already colored. Boy are they hard to use most of the times. Others just add alot of color to the icings and store them in bowls over night. Longer you wait the darker the color will become.

doescakestoo Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 14

awolf24 Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 14
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:39am
post #14 of 14

I am pretty sure those vibrant colors are airbrushed thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%