How Much & Which Lorann Do I Use Per Batch Of Frosting?

Decorating By ElectricHoney Updated 20 Jun 2006 , 5:03pm by ElectricHoney

ElectricHoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricHoney Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

I just got a new batch of Lorann oils and have never used them before. I have read a lot of posts saying a little goes a long way, but was wondering -- from those of you who have used these to flavor frosting how much you used and which is your favorite.

Thanks so much!
KK

5 replies
ElectricHoney Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

I need to get started making the buttercream for tonight's class, so if I don't get any replies I'm going to start with a 1/4 tsp. of the butternut vanilla Lorann oil for this 2lb. recipe of Creamy Dream frosting. This is going to cover a 13x9 inch White Almond Sour Cream cake.
Tonight is the last class of the beginners class and we will be making roses for the first time.
I also got my shipment of Americolor from Cake Central today and plan on making the Wilton's Class buttercream for the roses in dusty pink and a light purple, and for the leaves and stems I was just going to use the Wilton green.

I will be checking back often during this process to see if I have gotten any replies... so PLEASE give me some feedback.
Also, thanks so much for all the support and information I have gotten so far. Cake Central ROCKS! icon_smile.gif

KK

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 6

hiya honey,
with the lorann oils when we say a little goes along way that's exactly the point. We don't measure lorann by the teaspoon hun, we measure it by the drops. A few drops of the flavoring will more than suffice. They are very concentrated and can easily overpower your frosting. When I add the pina colada flaboring to a double batch of frosting i add maybe three drops max. and it is more than sufficient. Also lorann's works well in the cake batter too, the flavor won't bake out.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

p.s.
they also make a great perfume too. LOL Like goin out of the house smelling like a tropical sunrise icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 1:07am
post #5 of 6

I think it is hard to say exactly how much because some flavors are also stronger than others. So I think you have to really play around with it to see how much you need of the flavors.

As was suggested, add a few drops then taste and see.

ElectricHoney Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

All done! icon_smile.gif I made the Buttercream Dream and ended up adding 4 drops of the Vanilla Butternut Lorann Oil to get a good flavor. OMG, it is soooo yummy. I also solved my problem of air bubbles in the frosting and added the powdered sugar all at the same time and mixed on the first setting on my KA until it was incorporated. I then added the milk. It took 6 tablespoons for a consistency that I can use to frost the cake.
For the rest of the frosting I used my the class frosting which is similar to the Wilton class frosting in which is uses all shortening, but I used 4 drops of the Vanilla Butternut to flavor it as well to tie the flavors together. I also didn't mix any higher than 2 to mix the frosting and guess what? No air bubbles! Hooray!

The cake is the White Almond Sour Cream cake I also found on here and made the full recipe. It made 2 dozen extra cupcakes after the 13x9 I needed for class. I frosted a few with some of the extra Buttercream Dream and OMG!! icon_biggrin.gif SOOOO Good!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%