Gumpaste...super Fragile When Dry???

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 18 May 2007 , 3:49pm by sugarlove

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:00am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I attemped to make some loops for a Gumpaste bow last night, I let them dry overnight and when I went to handle them this morning, one of them just fell apart. I knew that Gumpaste dried hard but good grief!!! Is it supposed to be that fagile?

Thanks everyone!!

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 May 2007 , 6:40am
post #2 of 10

Yes, it can be very fragile. I always make extra, knowing some may break.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 10

actually I would say your problem was they were not dry enough overnight is not long enough for larger or wired gumpaste to dry I let bows dry 4 or 5 days to make sure they are strong enough

but yes it will break if you drop it even a short distance but if dry they do not usually shatter from touching Ihave had customers keep flowers for Years.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 10

it shouldn't "Fall apart" but they can break easily.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 10

I made gumpaste booties last weekend for a baby cake and my husband dropped his cell phone on them last night and they shattered icon_cry.gif It was for a friend's new baby as a welcome gift with no dead line so I'll just make them again this weekend. DH feels so bad but I told him not to worry because I wasn't that happy with them anyway icon_smile.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 10

It depends on how thickly you roll your gumpaste out. The thicker it is the stronger but the longer it takes to dry.

I use it for flowers but mix it 50/50 with fondant for bows.

If you are unsure of drying time..make an extra loop as a "tester". When that piece is dry to your satisfaction the others should be as well.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 10

Oh man! I wish this would happen to me! icon_wink.gif

I don't mean to hijack the post, but I'd like to know how thick you roll out gp for bows? I pretty much teach myself as i go along, and I usually do 1/16", but maybe that's too thick??

I made loops Monday nite, let dry on a dowel for 24 hrs, then another 24 of air-drying on their side, they were still quite soft, but held their shape. Weds nite, I assembled the bow using chocolate as glue. This morning, the bow is still kind of soft.

I just posted last nite "why does gp hate me?" LOL Am i doing it wrong?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 10

I have a pasta roller..I roll the paste out to the thinest size. When I get it on my board to cut I give it a roll with my plastic rolling pin or it will flatten if you use a textured pin as well.

I make my 50/50 bows about three days ahead and they are plenty dry by then.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10

What I have done also after noticing that my gumpaste flowers would turn out dry and brittle and easily break is use a 30/70 mixture of fondant and gumpaste. BTW, I use Nick Lodge gumpaste recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%