Driven To Tears (Really Long)

Decorating By maryak Updated 24 May 2007 , 3:13am by gateaux

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 17 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 19

This is really long and probably a little boring so you don't have to read it, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

OK, so I'm not the best cake decorator nor even remotely close but I had at least gotten my frosting to an almost smooth look.

I was so tired and suffering from a cold so all I wanted to do last night was sleep. I had made a cake the night before for today and then realised last night that I had forgotten to make the second cake for the top layer. So I made the second cake and it looked beautiful. I put it on the cooling rack to cool. Well, that's when the kids decided that the cake smelt so good and they both wanted to try a little piece of it. I told them that it wasn't for us so stay away. But they kept reaching out to take some. I then decided (rather stupidly) to move the cake instead of the kids and that's when it happened. The cake started to slide off the cooling rack. I tried to stop it with my stomach (yeah I know, but I panicked) but then half of it broke off and fell on the floor. That's when the tears came. The kids went silent and came running up to me and hugging me (God Bless their little hearts), but I was just so tired and I knew I would'nt have time to make another one. So I thought, I'm just going to cut the first cake in half and leave it thin. I started to wash up and then it hit me. I could cut the left over piece in half horizontally and make that the third layer! So that's what I did. But do you think the icing would stay on? Noooooo!!

I then started to panic and was trying to ice the damn thing for an hour straight! icon_cry.gif I tried to calm myself, said a little prayer, made some more icing, and started to go over what was already there. It started to look half decent but the icing kept falling in between the broken cake pieces on the top layer. That's when I gave up. I did the best that I could and arranged some of my flowers along the crevices. When I brought it into work everyone was amazed at the flowers and didn't even notice the cake which made me feel a little better but I still personally think the cake looks like *!?&. The pic is in my gallery and it's the first one called Floral Birthday cake.

If you did read this, thank you so much for letting me vent.

18 replies
Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 19

My first thought was how warm was that cake when you were trying to save it with your stomach?!!

I would say that in the circumstances you earned your CC medal of honour for perserverance whilst being unwell and probably too tired to think straight
- and that's what it's all about, and you still came out with a lovely cake at the end of it all!

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #3 of 19

Those flowers are AMAZING! I know itn't not exactly how you wanted it, but it's so pretty especially for being upset and ill! Great job!!!

maryak Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:25am
post #4 of 19

Thank you both so much! Yes the cake was really hot, I actually scolded my hand when I lifted the other half of it back up. Oh well, at least no one has realised how bad I know it actually is!

mkgsweims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkgsweims Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #5 of 19

So sorry this happened. If it makes you feel any better, we all have had things like this happen to us and have ended up in tears. Where in the world and how in the world did you learn to make flower like that? I did a double-take because I thought they were real at first. Great job!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:31am
post #6 of 19

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it happens. And it happens to all of us.

It happened to me recently where I was making a big sheet cake and had never done one before. I didn't realize how fragile they are.

Don't worry. It still looks beautiful. And I agree with the other posts, your flowers are stunning.

Alex

maryak Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #7 of 19

Thank you all so much for your support. My Mum used to be a cake decorator so she;s been teaching me how to make flowers. It takes me a long time and a few goes to get it right.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:03am
post #8 of 19

I promise, this kind of stuff even happens to the cake "gurus".
It turned out beautiful and that's what matters. Funny how we worry about our broken or cracked cakes when 1 cut with the knife and it's over. All those hours for one split second to be the end of it.
Hope your feeling better and keep up the good work.
Amy

maryak Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:00am
post #9 of 19

Thank you very much for that keonicakes, I do feel better now. I actually got great comments on how the cake tasted and I guess that is just as important as the look of the cake.

Thank you all for your support. You guys are fantastic!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:12am
post #10 of 19

Just had a peak at your cake and not only does it sound divinely delicious, it is so pretty with those gorgeous flowers!!
Hope you are feeling a bit better now!! icon_smile.gif

DanielleMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleMakesCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:17am
post #11 of 19

it stinks, but everyone has those types of mishaps, you live through them and you will know what to do for next time, im going to take a look at it now, im sure it looks great!

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:23am
post #12 of 19

Your flowers are beautiful.
I'm sure that cake tasted wonderful.

maryak Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:25am
post #13 of 19

Thank you all so much I do feel a lot better now, thanks to all of you!

I must admit, I had a lot of help from my Mum with the flowers. I'm only learning and she is a wonderful decorator but no longer practising. We have swapped careers. I was a Beauty Therapist and she was a Cake Decorator, now she is a Beautician and I am trying to be a Cake Decorator!! We're having a lot of fun teaching each other and swapping equipment! icon_lol.gif

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:48am
post #14 of 19

My mistakes end up being my best creations...... makes me have to really use my brain and get creative!!!!!

Your flowers are awesome and your writing is also great......for all the mishaps .......you did a fantastic job. Your mum is a fantastic teacher!!

as for you swapping careers with your mum......that is so cool!! icon_lol.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 19

You did a great job saving it from disaster and your flowers are beautiful

maryak Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #16 of 19

Thank you guys so much. I'm going to tell my Mum about all the rave reviews. That'll make her day!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #17 of 19

i'm sorry you went thru this whole ordeal for a cake. I'm sorry i can't comment on your pic right now, i can't access pics now. icon_cry.gif
I'm glad they liked it and as they always say here, we are our worst critics.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:01am
post #18 of 19

Maryak, I am so sorry you went through this! Raising kids is a rocky road at best, love them as we may! icon_smile.gif
You made a fantastic recovery on your cake and I don't have enough words for your gorgeous flowers! They are beautiful! You did a nice job on the cake and I hope this finds you feeling much better by now. icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #19 of 19

Maryak,

What a great save, I absolutely love your flowers, You or your mom should give classes. I know I am far away, but wow, I would make a trip to get some of that knowledge.

I know what you mean about the icing and trying to get it right and then it falls all over or it wont cover or you crumb coat come off and then the crumbs are everywhere. It's so frustrating, but I think you did a good job and it sounds like everyone liked your cake so you are good.

Just keep on practicing, I know I am still a novice at this but I found that if my icing is a little less stiff, I get less crumbs problems and I also get a better look once I use the melvira method.

Good Luck and keep on doing those flowers. WOW!

edited to add:
Kids are kids, they love your cakes I am sure if you asked them they would say your cakes taste like "some more please".
Anyhow that is what the DH says and our kids show it by saying they want my cakes and then not eating the storebought cakes when they go to friends b-days! (another one tonight - I had to take a bite and I wanted to spit it out) The mom did not want to ask me to make the cake since I have 6 days left before delivery. I am tired so I agree.
Oh well, I have had a few close saves, I just hope this was your one and only!

Good Luck on your next cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%