My Pillow Broke!

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 19 May 2007 , 4:45am by alliebear

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to make my first pillow cake and I used 2 11x15" pans. It needs to serve 50 so I figured after carving, this should be ok. Well, I outlined where I'm going to carve, piped a dam then put the filling on. I went to slide the other cake on, and of course, it broke. One whole corner about 5" in and about 8" across. I put icing in it and stuck it in the fridge for later carving. Should I flip it so the broken cakes on bottom or leave it on top? It's already on the cake board I'll be using and I'm not sure if it's going to be catastrophic since it needs to be carved into a pillow. It will be frosted with bc, no fondant except for some accents. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Amy

3 replies
Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't done one of these before but from what you describe I think it would be best to leave the broken cake on the top, where it will be supported by the unbroken (and unweakened) base layer. If you use the broken layer for the bottom of the cake it will be weaker and if the corner drops down/off after carving it will take the top layer corner with it.

Does this make any sense? sorry

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:40am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Glorioustwelfth- leave the cracked layer on top. Make sure it stays very chilled while you continue to carve and ice. Keep putting it back in the fridge in-between steps.

Good Luck!

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:45am
post #4 of 4

i made a pillow cake today and like you one of the layers cracked... it turned out alright... i patched it up with icing and carved away the crackes was on top tho... after carving you couldn't tell it was broken at all.. i covered in fondant and that helped

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%