How Long Does Gumpaste Keep?

Decorating By mami2sweeties Updated 18 May 2007 , 10:19am by CakeDiane

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering how long prepared gumpaste keep? I use CK powder and add water to make my gumpaste. Is it the same as mmf?

thanks!

6 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 7

I was told once if you are not going to use it with in the next couple of days to either put it in the fridge or if not needed for longer than 2 weeks in the freezer.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

Gumpaste is not like fondant. It has some of the same ingredients as fondant but is used to make flowers, figures, and other small decorations for cakes. It dries quickly and hard.

As for how long it keeps varies. Left at room temperature, properly covered, maybe a week or two. It will last a little longer if you rub shortening over the ball of paste, wrap it in plastic wrap twice and then put it in an airtight container. This can be a zipper bag, but I like to use a plastic tub.

It can be frozen for 6 months to a year. Just let it thaw naturally, don't try to rush it.

Use only what you need, keep the remaining wrapped and never mix the used back with the fresh. You can add fresh to used in small amounts. If you mix the used back in with the fresh, you will ruin your fresh. It will begin to dry hard very quickly. No matter how clean you keep your work area your gumpaste will be contaminated with either cornstarch, shortening, and/or the natural oils of your hands.

HTH

Michele

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 7

Can I ask what you mean by "contaminated"? I just started trying my hand at gum paste and I bought a ready-made package of Wilton gum paste. The directions say to "lightly grease the work surface with vegetable shortening" when rolling it out and also when kneading...is that incorrect?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 7

I use Nic Lodge's Tylose gumpaste recipe, double wrapped in Saran and in a ziplock bag I have kept it over a month in the fridge. Or, it can be frozen for up to 6 months.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:43am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffgc

Can I ask what you mean by "contaminated"? I just started trying my hand at gum paste and I bought a ready-made package of Wilton gum paste. The directions say to "lightly grease the work surface with vegetable shortening" when rolling it out and also when kneading...is that incorrect?

What I meant by contaminated is the fact that dust, cornstarch, oils from your hands, petal dusts, etc. get mixed into the gumpaste. Even if you keep your hands very clean at all times, other things get into the paste. You will really start to notice dust in white gumpaste. It's amazing how something so small will look so large when you are working with gumpaste. The dust will sometimes cause you to have "hairs" sticking out of your cut edges. The cornstarch or powdered sugar will cause the gumpaste to dry more quickly and when mixed with fresh, this all becomes one batch of not so clean gumpaste.

I had heard a story about a person making dolls had not kept their hands completely clean and the bacteria that is on all skin caused the heads to burst. The bacteria fed on the sugar, expanded, and literally blew the heads off the dolls!! This story came from the person who did it. I won't say the name. Besides, it was many years ago.

Sorry if I made you worry.

Michele

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:19am
post #7 of 7

Wow! That's some story about the exploding doll heads! Thank you for that info--very, very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%