Need 80Th B-Day Cake Idea

Decorating By KraftyKonfections Updated 18 May 2007 , 4:28pm by tatetart

KraftyKonfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KraftyKonfections Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a man turning 80 and has Alzheimers. I need an idea on something special for him. They want simple but special. It will only need to feed 8-10 people. He has no hobbies just drove a truck for a living. Any ideas??? Thanks.

6 replies
venecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venecakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

I just made a cake for my husband's grandmother's 100th bday. And I know how emotional that can be for a family, anyway.... If he drove a truck for a living, you can make a 3D truck for him. There is one in the wilton book " celebrate with fondant", and it shows you how to.
Hope I helped.

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7

I would go with the truck idea as it might spark memories. I did a replica (as best I could) of my grandfather's antique car for his eightieth and he was off telling stories of the car before we knew it.

sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 7

I did a book that looked like an old photo album for my dad's 80th.

hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 7

Was there a specific company that he drove a truck for?
If so you could incorporate their symbol/logo into the cake that he would be familiar with.

Otherwise, I think a stacked cake would make a big impression. It would only have to be two small layers, since it is only for ten people, but it is something he probably hasn't received before!

KraftyKonfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KraftyKonfections Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 7

I made a photo album cake for my Dad's 80th birthday as well, then scattered old photos around the cake.
Was a big hit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%