Hey Professionals! Butter Cream Or Fondant?

Decorating By txdragonfly Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:31am by karensue

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 3:59pm
post #31 of 38

I love the results with the mmf, but as most of you have already posted, alot of people either haven't tried it or won't try it because they have heard that it was nasty. I have also tried the crusted bc icing and I LOVE IT!!! It goes on like bc and taste like bc, but dries and hardens like fondant. Of course, you can only use it to cover the cake, but it works great, and to me is soooo much easier that rolling and smoothing out fondant. I would love to get your recipe for the mmf that you made, if you don't mind sharing.

txdragonfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txdragonfly Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:26am
post #32 of 38

Sure! I'll put the recipe up tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif

bakerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerbaker Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 1:54am
post #33 of 38

is it possible to coat a cake with bc and then putting the fondant over it? can't we have both? and let bc and fondant be in harmony?!!!

txdragonfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txdragonfly Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 5:17pm
post #34 of 38

My variation on MMF...

For White chocolate Marshmallow fondant:

1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
1 oz (maybe 1 1/4 oz) good quality white chocolate chips (I threw white chocolate chips into the container with the marshmallows and melted them together)
2 tbsps water (substitute flavored coffee creamer here, if you wish. I added creme brule and it was great!)
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups) Don't add all of this at once...do bit by bit until you have a dough-ish consistancy.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 5:20pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdragonfly

My variation on MMF...

For White chocolate Marshmallow fondant:

1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
1 oz (maybe 1 1/4 oz) good quality white chocolate chips (I threw white chocolate chips into the container with the marshmallows and melted them together)
2 tbsps water (substitute flavored coffee creamer here, if you wish. I added creme brule and it was great!)
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups) Don't add all of this at once...do bit by bit until you have a dough-ish consistancy.

You can also use candy melts, which will make it taste more like choco-pan. Thanks for posting.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #36 of 38

hi CCers icon_smile.gif

have one question, if i'm going to make a small batch of MMF (1 cup mini mm's, 1 T water and 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar), 1/4 cup of chopped white chocolate will be ok? can somebody help me or guide me to where i can find some answer? pls icon_confused.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #37 of 38

I use Jennfier Dontz's recipe for her white chocolate fondant and it's really good. And it's a semi-homemade thing so it's easy. I use my own homemade fondant that I make using Michele Foster's recipe from here and do the add ins that Jennifer recommends and it is delicious. All of those saying that they don't use fondant because they don't want to sacrifice taste just haven't used a good fondant.

I don't like MMF at all.. it's much chewier than real fondant is especially when it hardens.. think of how gross a stale marshmellow feels in your mouth and that's what I liken it to. Real fondant doesn't get that way. It's chewier than BC, but not like MMF.

While I like fondant cakes, a lot of people want BC cakes because it's what they are comfy with and used to.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #38 of 38

I finally made the price of my buttercream cakes the same as my fondant cakes, and the last four consultations I had, the brides all chose fondant. I decided that I put in more time and energy getting the buttercream smooth enough to suit me than I do with fondant. Plus, I put a nice layer of buttercream underneath my fondant, so they get both. They like getting the look of fondant, but having plenty of buttercream, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%