Cooling Cakes

Decorating By heathcombs Updated 19 May 2005 , 12:16pm by irisinbloom

heathcombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathcombs Posted 19 May 2005 , 3:38am
post #1 of 11

First of all I want to say how helpful all the info is on the forums. Thanks everybody!! My question is how do you keep your cakes from sticking to the cooling rack after taking them out of the pans. I let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then flip them out. I've tried several ways and they always stick and end up being a mess. Please help!!! Thanks.

10 replies
mimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi Posted 19 May 2005 , 3:48am
post #2 of 11

Personally, I've been decorating cakes for over 25 years, and I don't put them on a cooling rack. When taking them out of the oven, I turn them over onto the board that I'm going to decorate them on. That way, I don't have to move them, and they don't slide all over the board.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 May 2005 , 3:53am
post #3 of 11

Might be the kind of cooling rack you're using. I use only non-stick ones.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:02am
post #4 of 11

mine stick to my cooling rack too, so when i flip mine out.. i flip it out on a papertowel.. and that works for me!!!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:03am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi

Personally, I've been decorating cakes for over 25 years, and I don't put them on a cooling rack. When taking them out of the oven, I turn them over onto the board that I'm going to decorate them on. That way, I don't have to move them, and they don't slide all over the board.

so, do you use your bottom of the cake as your top?

mimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:15am
post #6 of 11

Yes, the bottom of my cake is the top of the cake. Before I take the cake out of the pan, I run my knife across the top to level it (I don't normally have to cut too much off), then when I flip my cake over out of the pan, it is not only level, but I have a clean flat surface as my top. Always works! thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:33am
post #7 of 11

Well I use cooling racks although I have turned out the odd cake onto the board, I prefer using cooling racks.
Mainly I prefer to use them, because you don't get that slimey kind of wet effect on the bottom of your cake where it touches the board. Not a big deal but it is what happens when the steam cannot escape.
I generally cool cakes in the pans for a minimum of 15 -20 minutes, especially the larger ones. Then I flip out, level them and flip them over to cool.
It sounds like it may be your cooling racks that are the problem. I prefer the Wilton grid ones, never had a cake stick on these. Perhaps you need to elevate your cooling racks so there is a bit more air circulation underneath them.
The other possiblity is that your cake is not cooked enough.
My cooling racks are stainless steel.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:40am
post #8 of 11

I have never used a cooling rack. When my cake is baked I turn it upside down and let it cool on grease proof paper, I've never had any problems.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:54am
post #9 of 11

It isn't that you get a problem, you get a different texture on the outside of the cake that is sitting on the board or paper or whatever it sits on directly because there is no air circulating to release the steam.
Hard to explain the difference, but when you use cooling racks and when you don't, you will see the difference in the surface that sits directly on another surface without venting.
This isn't an issue to a lot of people, but if you were being judged about the surface of your cake, it wouldn't pass standard baking appearances and textures.
One thing, it makes it easier to position your cake on your board, because the cake doesn't stick, so you can slide it over, that is one major difference you will see.
I have been baking for 41 years, haha, and have tried just about everything. But it is and pretty well always has been standard baking proceedures to use cooling racks to cool cakes. It is part of the commercial baking and patisserie courses also.
Like I said, I have also turned out cakes onto parchment or boards and such and see quite a difference since I now nearly always use the cooling racks.
If you are going to use cooling racks get good ones, the grid type are the best. You don't want the cheaper ones that only have the lines going one way and rather large spaces between them. These can actually cut deeply into your cakes.
People will always stick with what they are used to and that is fine.
It is interesting to note the difference though.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

heathcombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathcombs Posted 19 May 2005 , 11:06am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much for the info. Everyone was really helpful! I'm making my first cake for someone else and and just really nervous! Thanks again!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 19 May 2005 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 11

Like some of the other ladies I don't use cooling a rack, but one thing you might try is spraying your cooling rack with non stick spray. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%