Bake, Decorate, Celebrate

Decorating By chocomama Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 10:15pm by carilyn

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:53am
post #1 of 48

Our PBS station started airing this show recently and I was wondering what other people thought of it. Is it just me, but are the hostesses a tad annoying or what? icon_confused.gif

47 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:59am
post #2 of 48

It starts here at 3PM tomorrow (Saturday). I find a lot of TV food people to be annoying (Sandra Lee, Rachel Ray, Emeril) so likely this one will be also, but we'll see.
I'll let you know after I watch it icon_twisted.gif

chocomama Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 48

Well, don't expect to see anyone like Emeril or Rachel Ray on this show! I can't watch a lot of Emeril but at least he and the others have personalities! Can't wait to hear your opinion!

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 48

I HATE to watch Rachel Ray..it is almost like she is straining herself to talk or something, almost like it hurts and she throws her hands around too much while she talks. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! I really used to like Paula Deen but it is almost as if she is OVERUSING the word Ya'll!! I am from the south and I say Ya'll all the time but NOWHERE near as much as her..It is very annoying..LOL

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 48

OMG...I didnt want to say anything because I kno wthere was a big excitement about the show.....even by me....but THIS SHOW IS SOOOOOOO BORING!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

The host is ridiculous!!! I couldnt watch anymore when the other day she was piping flowers and siad something like "my tip is clogged...do you know how to unclog your tip? well you get a toothpick...." I seriously had to wonder if Sesame Street was still on!!!!

and I have to agree with the Rachel Ray comment.....shes another I cant watch....its like at any given minute she is going to cave and hit her knees and start rambling about how grateful she is for being on tv because even SHE knows she shoudlnt be!!! icon_lol.gif

BooBooCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooCat Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 48

icon_cool.gif Rachel Ray throws her hands around a lot when she talks because she is half Italian. Known to talk with their hands. I like Rachel Ray but can't stand Sandra Dee or Lee or whatever it is, her food never looks very appealing.

chocomama Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 48

LOL! Yes, the hostess on Bake, etc. asks the dumbest questions! I know the show is supposed to be for beginners like me, but when she asks things like, "Now what kind of cake would I use for this Springtime Cake (or whatever)" I just want to scream! icon_rolleyes.gif The woman who does the decorating seems irked at her sometimes, too. I really don't think she needs the brunette, who looks like she was a former Miss Texas contestant with her big hair. icon_twisted.gif I'm so bad!

And, being Italian myself, we do throw our hands around a lot. I guess it's in the genes! That said, Rachel Ray drives me nuts on her 30 Minute show b/c she talks so freakin' fast! It makes me nervous just watching her!

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 48

Ok, I'm from Spain and we do talk with our hands a lot too but Rachel Ray takes it to an extreme. I also agree with those of you who say that her talking fast is far more annoying. I've noticed that when I'm watching her talk that fast I sort of stop breathing for a second and I always feel on edge... Oh, and when she says the EVOO thing... I could scream! It was cute the first time but she doesn't have to repeat what it stands for EVERY SINGLE SHOW!!!

But going back to the topic, I'm glad to know I'm not missing much by not watching the Wilton show. I can't get it in my area and was kinda sad about it but now I feel just fine! icon_smile.gif

Inma

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 48

I am so glad that someone else said it first. The hostess is so annoying. I have seen two episodes now, and she has asked the same "What kind of cake would you make for this..." question multiple times. I, too am a beginner, but I'm not dumb. Ask Q's that are relevant, or none at all. But we do have to remember that the show is on PBS. We can not expect too much. Seseme Street is the top of the line as they get.

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 48

The show is boooooooring ! It's not even advanced enough for beginners, if you ask me, ya'll !! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, I'm from the South

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 48

Well... I just watched Bake, Decorate, Celebrate! I must say that I was unimpressed. Yes, the hosts are annoying. Yes, they seem too cheerful. But I have to make myself remember they are on PBS and their target audience is beginners. That being said, I was appalled at the lazy, careless way the blonde woman applied her details. The episode today was the #101 Kids Birthdays...with the bug cake. I watched as she made loops (almost shells) instead of pull out stars for the bug fuzziness, and I saw how her bug's m&m eyes slid right off. Yes, the lights are hot in the studio, but they should have taken that into consideration. The frosting was melting before our eyes. I will probably watch again, but this episode was a disappointment. I hope the next shows are better prepared. These people are presenting a show representing Wilton. I am surprised Wilton accepted it.

Am I being too critical? icon_twisted.gif

Do I care? icon_evil.gif

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 48

I watched the very first episode and have not watched it since. The brunette licked her lips and kept eating everything the other one was making. Not at all impressed.

My five year old loves Rachel Ray and Emeril, we watch them a lot during the winter.

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 48

I haven't seen the show because my local PBS station (by which I was employed for 18 years) doesn't carry it. The programming manager who is a friend told me I wasn't missing much. icon_wink.gif

chocomama Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 12:31am
post #14 of 48

I think the show is put together very badly and looks like something I could throw together in my own kitchen with a few cakes and a video camera. The dumb questions, the melting icing (which she always says is too thin) and the way they just throw things together and want us to believe that if we do the same that our cakes will look as good as the models they have as the finished products are pretty insulting to any viewer who has ever used a kitchen appliance!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 12:56am
post #15 of 48

I agree with twinsline 7 on that toothpick line!!!!!!!!!! I let my 10 year old daughter watch it, because she likes to make cakes with me. I thought she would learn something because it seemed to be for children. WRONG. She didn't learn anything that I hadn't already shown her. I also think the blonde is very sloppy with her work. They have the nice looking cake examples, but the doesn't even come close to getting it the same.

Did anyone see the one where she drew the hearts in the middle of the cake? It was SO UGLY!! Then, when they showed the "good cake", I could see what they were going for - but she didn't finish all the details on the one where she was showing us, etc........................... And the brunette is not needed, I forget who said she looked like "Miss TX" or something - she doesn't add anything to the show, except annoyance.

I had thought it was going to be a really cool show too! So that really stinks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's dissappointed. I was thinknig of writing them & asking for an advanced show - maybe with Colette Peters or something! =)

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 1:10am
post #16 of 48

OK, I'm glad that I am not alone here. I taped the first few shows and I just kept thinking that it's going to get better, surely it's going to get better, but it DIDN'T. icon_eek.gif My hubby watched a little bit with me and laughed at how the two were acting and the fact that the decorating was terrible. I'm really disappointed in the show and I know a lot of you guys are too. Now as for Emeril, my hubby likes some of his cooking but I think if I hear one more "Ahhhh yea babe, I'm gonna puke!!! I didn't think anything could be more annoying than his "BAM" but I really think the Ahhh yea Babe just can't be topped.

chocomama Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:08am
post #17 of 48

Oh, yes, Emeril! LOL, hubby likes him, too! Must be a guy thing. icon_wink.gif I keep taping the Wilton shows just in case there's a little tidbit of info I haven't heard before (or read about here) but I usually just end up fast forwarding through most of it. Anyone ever notice how the blonde makes a lot of mistakes when she speaks? I can't think of an example off the top of my head but I know she's done it lots of times and I wonder why it's not caught. You'd think they could, at least, edit it out even if no one caught it at the time. Maybe it's really like one of those public access shows where there's some kid behind the camera chewing gum or something and no one but the hostesses really care what's going on. I just can't get over the fact that the Wilton company puts its name behind it.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:09am
post #18 of 48

EXACTLY!! I cannot believe Wilton has their name behind it either! I wouldn't put MY name behind it! And I've received e-mails from them, asking me to contact my local broadcasters to ask for that show! WHY would I do that!?? =) I wouldn't put MY name behind it!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:53am
post #19 of 48

We don't get it here on our local cable and it sounds as if I'm not missing anything!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

These people are presenting a show representing Wilton. I am surprised Wilton accepted it.

Am I being too critical? icon_twisted.gif

Do I care? icon_evil.gif

It's my understanding the blonde is some instructor at the wilton school, but I don't know for sure icon_cool.gif

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:33am
post #21 of 48

i'm glad to see ur comment abt the show, now i don't feel as bad coz i can't watch it here. abt rachel & emeril, i agreeeeeeeee! lol

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:50am
post #22 of 48

I change the channel on Rachael and Emeril too! He is just boring.
Poor Wilton! Not a good show to back.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:26pm
post #23 of 48

I accidentally came across the show yesterday, and missed the first 10 minutes or so. It was so sad!! All I really saw her do was pipe shell borders, and everytime she wanted to say "shell" she would say "star" first and then correct herself. She did some fleur-de-lis on the side of one cake that were really sad. I had such expectations for the show, but after having watched the challenges on the food network I was very disappointed.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:34pm
post #24 of 48

Saw the show once, accidentally -- UGH.

Cracks me up all the comments about Rachel and Emeril, though. Middle daughter is a senior in a Hotel/Restaurant management college, and she and I love to watch FoodNetwork together. But every time Rachel or Emeril come on, we change the channel as fast as we can! Either that, or we spend a few minutes mocking Rachel's incessant perkiness before flipping elsewhere. But we can't even stand to hear Emeril's voice any more.

Why are they so popular??? I don't get it. No one I know can stand either one of them?

Oh -- and don't get me started on Semi-Homemade Lady!!! Yuck. And we hate it when they change out the color scheme of her fake kitchen to match her clothes and the meal-theme-o-the-day. Yuck.

Love Ina Garten (mostly), and love Paula Deen (mostly). They're more real.

chocomama Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:19pm
post #25 of 48

I really like Paula Dean, but Ina Garten is toooooooo laid back for me.

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:13pm
post #26 of 48

I almost can't stand to watch this show, either. The first time I saw it, it seemed like it was geared for 3rd graders or something. I have a hard time staying awake while watching it. I record it on DVR, and there was one show I tried watching 3 times, and I couldn't stay awake. Both of those ladies are annoying. The brunette is an air head, and the blonde is the director of the Wilton school of Cake Decorating. I would have never guessed to see the way she decorates on this show. It's horrible.

chocomama Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 10:36pm
post #27 of 48

OMG! LOOK----

Nancy Siler has been baking and decorating for over 25 years. In her hundreds of decorating demonstrations for programs on ABC, CBS, NBC, WGN, PBS, Discovery Channel and QVC Networks, Nancy has shown that everyone has the ability to serve something spectacular. As Vice President of Consumer Affairs and Public Relations for Wilton Industries, Inc., she helps make decorating easy and exciting for consumers. As Director of The Wilton School, Nancy continues to develop the world's most popular decorating courses.

Melanie Glasscock brings a homemaker's point of view to the BAKE DECORATE CELEBRATE! series. Melanie has been a popular broadcast journalist who anchored and reported for the local CBS and NBC stations between 1990-2000. Since leaving the anchor chair to devote time to her family and community, Melanie has worked with a variety of charitable and educational projects including Kentucky Educational Television and the Kentucky Junior Miss program.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 11:37pm
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooCat

icon_cool.gif Rachel Ray throws her hands around a lot when she talks because she is half Italian. Known to talk with their hands. I like Rachel Ray but can't stand Sandra Dee or Lee or whatever it is, her food never looks very appealing.

Auggghhh!! Sandra Lee or better known as Semi-Ho or Shamdra...

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:47am
post #29 of 48

I dont get it in my area, but now after hearing about how boring it is I am soo glad it doesnt air here.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:37pm
post #30 of 48

Oh wow, I had no idea this was a national program. I caught about 5 minutes of it one day and only noticed it because the brunette on the show is from my hometown and I knew her when I was younger. I just assumed it was a local show in Kentucky. Oh, and about her looking like Ms. TX or something, that's pretty close....she was Miss Kentucky 1989!

I'll be nice because she's a hometown girl and I know her family. But yeah, I agree about the show overall. You're really not gonna learn anything on there, and there's really nothing about it that makes you want to watch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%