Wrapping Paper

Decorating By oohlalacakes Updated 18 Jun 2006 , 2:27am by oohlalacakes

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'd like to cover my cake boards in something other than the ditzy (sometimes useful) silver and/or gold foil that seems standard. I wrapped one in wrapping paper, but was afraid the moisture from the cake would disintigrate the paper, so I covered the paper in Saran Wrap. I didn't exactly like the finished product, because it was nearly impossible to get perfectly smooth and I though it ruined the cuteness of the paper. Do those of you that use wrapping paper put anything on it to keep the moisture from ruining it, or doesn't the moisture bother it? Thanks as always!

usaribbon.gif Samantha

8 replies
mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 9

I use wrapping paper all the time. Most of the time I just use the shinniest, thickest paper I can find. The best one's I've found are at the dollar store! If I think the paper isn't the best, but I really like it, I cover it with clear contact paper too. I haven't had a problem yet. I will say that sometimes after the cake has set for a day of leftovers, the paper sometimes comes up with the cake. But by then it's leftovers and no one seems to care!! icon_smile.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:08am
post #3 of 9

I used clear contact paper (found at michaels or walmart) to cover my wrapping paper and it was perfect. did not need to worry about anything happening that shouldnt and you can see the design through the contact paper so you can match your wrapping paper to the occasion.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:47am
post #4 of 9

I cover the wrapping paper in clear contact paper as well. It is not considered food safe (in the strictest sense FDA wise) but I feel pretty safe using it since it keeps wrapping paper from bleeding onto/into my cake and it's ok for my glasses to sit on in the cabinet! icon_biggrin.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

Another option for covering the wrapping paper is cellophane. I use the combo all the time with no problem.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 5:59am
post #6 of 9

Contack paper here also.

Dodibug, that is cute about your glasses icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 9

I use clear contact paper as well. Like dodibug, I feel if it's suitable for lining my drawers and cabinets full of dishes and utensils, why not a cake?

The only problem I've ever had with the contact paper was when I made a tilted treasure chest lid. My cake started to slide down!

I would be hesitant to use plastic wrap or cellophane because it may come up when the cake is cut.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 9

I go to the dollar store and get a nice fancy cloth tablecloth and cut it up and a thin clear tablecloth and cut it. I glue down the cloth then put on the plastic tablecloth and tape it underneath. Haven't had any problems and it looks so pretty. I wouldn't just use wrapping paper because the dye from the paper will seap into your cake. I wouldn't want to take a chance of ruining a cake.

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:27am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone. I guess I didn't realize there was clear contact paper. My mom always found something "with a pattern". icon_confused.gif Anyway, I'll look for it. I didn't like using cellophane and I'm just a little nervous about using the wrapping paper with nothing else. Thanks!

usaribbon.gif Samantha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%