Vegetarian Sugarpaste

Baking By angelahorn Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 12:08am by Harini

angelahorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelahorn Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 11

hi everyone, i'm looking for a recipe for sugarpaste that doesn't use gelatine as i'm a vegetarian. can anyone help? icon_smile.gif

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 11

A health food store should have a "gelatin" replacement and it should indicate how to exchange it for traditional gelatin. Then use any recipe you have.

Cheesefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheesefairy Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 11

hi, if by sugarpaste, you mean fondant, I have a recipe from The Artful Cupcake that doesn't use gelatin, though it does use an egg white. Just to warn you, though, I haven't tried the recipe yet so I don't know if it's good. My husband is vegetarian so I'm planning to try it at some point. Anyway, the recipe (summarized by me) is

1 egg white
2 tablespoons of liquid glucose
1 1/2 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted and additional for dusting
Small amount of vegetable shortening, as needed

Mix the egg white and glucose, then add the confectioners sugar gradually. Put dough on a surface sprinkled with confectioners sugar and knead it til you get a paste. Add a little vegetable shortening if the dough gets dry or cracks. Once you have a good consistency, you can keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks in a sealed container.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

Marshmallow FOndant does not use egg or gelatin...
Isn't that vegetarian enough ? Marshmallow, Water and Powdered sugar.
Have you considered MMF ? Hope you'll find what you want... icon_smile.gif

Cheesefairy Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

Marshmallow FOndant does not use egg or gelatin...
Isn't that vegetarian enough ? Marshmallow, Water and Powdered sugar.
Have you considered MMF ? Hope you'll find what you want... icon_smile.gif

Hi, just to let you know, marshmallows are made with gelatin.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry, I forgot that part...yes. you are right. I don't know if it is possible to find a Fondant recipe without all these things. Is your husband the only one who will eat this cake ? If not make the cake and remove the Fondant ? are you making a cake w/ out eggs ?

Cheesefairy Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

Sorry, I forgot that part...yes. you are right. I don't know if it is possible to find a Fondant recipe without all these things. Is your husband the only one who will eat this cake ? If not make the cake and remove the Fondant ? are you making a cake w/ out eggs ?

Thanks, I'm the one with the veggie hubby, but I'm not the original poster who had the request -- that's angelahorn, she said she was asking because she herself is vegetarian.

But I also thought of something else in case it's helpful, the Wilton and Satin Ice brand fondants don't have gelatin in them.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 11

I think for the texture and strength, homemade fondant probably needs gelatin. However, a vegetarian gelatin is available.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 11

The recipe posted by Cheesefairy is the "original" sugarpaste [rolled fondant recipe. Over time, as the recipe was adapted, gelatine replaced the egg component.

Harini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harini Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 12:04am
post #10 of 11

AActually I tried with receipe wat cheesefairy uploaded It works I made teddy bear figurine on my choklate cake

Harini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harini Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 12:08am
post #11 of 11

AHai dear, I ll give u simple receipe u can replace butter for shortening here it is

60g white vegetable fat 30ml lemon juice 30ml water 750g icing sugar sieved Place fat,lemon juice and water in a medium pan and gently heat until the fat has melted. Stir in 250g of icing sugar and keep stirring until the sugar dissolves. Leave pan on low heat until mixture boils. Remove from heat and gradually add enough of the remaining sugar to form a soft paste. Beat well after each addition. Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar and knead the icing continually until smooth and silky and no longer sticky. Store well, double wrapped in cling film and plastic food bag. Tint with colour as required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%