How Much Do You Pay To Rent

Business By beachcakes Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 11:18pm by SweetThistleCakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:18am
post #1 of 5

a commercial kitchen? If you pay, say $10 an hour, how do you make any $ on cakes? It takes an hour to make batter & bake and another hour or more depending on the decorations...

4 replies
SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:45am
post #2 of 5

We bake once a week. We worked out a deal where we are paying $75 for 5 hours. There are two of us and we have been baking for awhile so we have a system/ assembly line on how things are made and constructed. We also make more than one cake at once and wrap the cake due later on in the week in wrap to keep it fresh. Gumpaste can be applied on site, and most of the detailed work is done at the _______(enter occasion) location. We have 4 ovens at the site, so they are all going at the same time. We keep everything written down that needs to be done and in what order. I guess it is just practice.

Edited to add: the hall that we bake at is popular for a lot of rentals for weddings, etc. We give a discount to the clients who are having their event there, as we use that space to bake and we arent charged as the client has already paid for the space.

SweetThistleCakes Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

I reserve the right to edit my original post:
I just "bought" a year membership to an ethnic orginization. For $55, I get a YEARS worth of unlimited kitchen rentals in their inspected, licensed facility. Can't beat that with a stick... Now I guess I need to drop my prices =0

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 5

I was wondering if perhaps you could help me with figuring out where to rent a kitchen like you did. I live in the Arlington/Mansfield area.

SweetThistleCakes Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanaDalia

I was wondering if perhaps you could help me with figuring out where to rent a kitchen like you did. I live in the Arlington/Mansfield area.

I dont know specifically, But I just sent you a PM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%