Do You Eat Fondant?

Decorating By scheff Updated 15 Jun 2006 , 8:25pm by pinkopossum

scheff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scheff Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

I love the look of fondant. Dumb question-do you eat the fondant just like icing on a cake? I tasted the already made fondant from the store and it tasted awful. I'm new-so thanks!

6 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 7

I agree - fondant is not for me either, but I know some people do like to eat it. A lot of people make their own - homemade tastes better, as does some of the higher quality purchased fondant. It's really a matter of taste. Some people request fondant cakes because they like how they look, then peel the fondant off after the cake is served in slices, others eat it happily.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

I love fondant! My husband thinks I am nuts to nibble on the scraps off the cakes because he is not a sweet-eater. I use FondX but have also used Satin Ice. They are both delish and great to work with! I think alot of times fondant gets a bad rep and alot of people won't eat it without even trying it. Give some other brands a try and you might find one you like.
HTH,
Heather

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheff

I love the look of fondant. Dumb question-do you eat the fondant just like icing on a cake? I tasted the already made fondant from the store and it tasted awful. I'm new-so thanks!

YES!!! I do!!! icon_wink.gif I make the fondant recipe and then add almond extract. It makes it really tasty. I try not to roll it out too thick.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 7

I will eat the MMF I make, the fondant my aunt makes and Satin Ice. Wilton fondant will not go near my mouth! I still have texture issues with fondant, though, that I am trying to work on not having. icon_lol.gif

bjwelchjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjwelchjr Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

I too agree that wilton fondant is not great to eat. I recently made my first cake with fondant just to "play" with it because it looks so great on cakes, but I could not take the texture issue. At least for me, when I eat cake I like/ or am just used to the texture of icing and eating the fondant was like eating playdoh on the outside. I am anxious to give MMF a try because I would imagine it tastes much better and might not be as chewy.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7

I'll eat the MMF

....that's funny what you said missyek "texture issues" - it is a bit shocking isn't it? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%