My Price List...for Anyone Who Needs Help...

Business By ge978 Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm by rlsaxe

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 1:50am
post #31 of 51

Just a thought here. Could you name your flavors (ex. Heavenly Chocolate for your scratch chocolate cake and Devil's Food for your box cake) so that you can charge more for each. When they ask the difference, you can just tell them the truth or just offer samples before offering prices. I don't know. Just brainstorming here.

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:09am
post #32 of 51

ge978 - Thanks for posting your price list. I am in Ohio and my prices are close just about the same thing as yours. Where in Ohio are you?

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #33 of 51

no problem tysmom thumbs_up.gif ....I'm in Canton.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #34 of 51

Thank you so much for sharing this info. I am really new to this. I have been doing cakes for free to get the practice and now have had some people place orders and have had no idea what to charge. This is a huge help!

Sue

ge978 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:40pm
post #35 of 51

Sue....I'm so glad I could help thumbs_up.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 7:00pm
post #36 of 51

I researched the cost of all my ingrediants, looked up conversions so I can figure out how much it is costing me on a unit basis and then applied it all to an excel spreadsheet. If anyone would like it you can email me at [email protected]

My cake prices using my matrix come out to about the same as was posted, but I just like to see everything broken down.

tan32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tan32 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:19am
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

Okay, since this is a big topic I thought I would share what I charge for cakes.
I live in Ohio & around me most of the grocery store bakeries charge $15 for a 1/4 sheet & 38 for a full sheet.

These prices do not include fondant"

My round cakes are 2-layers & filled:
8" iced with border& writing $25
8" detailed decoration $30-$35
10" iced with border & writing $30
10" detailed decoration $35-$40

1/4 sheet 1-layer 15 servings $25 So are you figuring ingredient cost , and an hourly rate for labor to come up with your price, evry cake is different, so i don't quite know how a flat rate came work for say a wedding cake?
1/4 sheet 2-layer 20 servings $30 These prices are for FBCT's, etc
1/2 sheet 1-layer 30 servings $40 I charge more for choc covered
1/2 sheet 2-layer 40 servings $45 strawberries, extensivly detailed
Full sheet 1-layer 60 servings $60 decorations, etc.
Full sheet 2-layer 80 servings $65

9" Cheesecake $30

Wedding Cakes

Buttercream $1.75/slice Extra for fresh flowers, decoration, etc.
Fondant $2.75/slice

Shaped Cakes: I'm going to refer to some in my photos:

Basket Cake with Strawberries(2nd page w/handle) serves 20 $45
Skateboard Cake serves 15 $35
Sesame Street Cupcakes 1 dozen $18
Indian's Jersey serves 15 $30
w/6 cookies $35

I hope this helps at least some of you who need a starting off point on prices.Like I said, these are just the serving sizes that I go by & what my customers are willing to pay for my cakes.

If anyone would like to know how much I charged for any other cake or any other questions feel free to post here & ask.

tan32 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:25am
post #38 of 51

how do you come up with a flat rate price list, especially when every cake is different, like wedding cakes, i have been figuring ingredients and supplies, and then labour $15.00 per hour, and add the two together, i haven't been doing the per slice thing, i don't know how that works?

ge978 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:54pm
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan32

how do you come up with a flat rate price list, especially when every cake is different, like wedding cakes, i have been figuring ingredients and supplies, and then labour $15.00 per hour, and add the two together, i haven't been doing the per slice thing, i don't know how that works?

I've had a coffee shop where I've sold cheesecakes & cakes so when I started selling the decorated cakes I already had a base to work with. I also priced bakeries around me that do the same kind of cakes that I do & stayed within those prices.

As far as weddding cakes, take a buttercream wedding cake. I won't do one for less than $1.75 slice, but usually when I price them I do the cake as a whole. For instance...The last wedding cake I did they wanted a layer of cake with a layer of cheesecake on top. They wanted it to feed 175 people. I did a dummy cake & then did round cakes to cut up in the back...It was basketweave...so i had to basketweave 12 round cakes plus I did a 10" 2 layer chocolate grooms cake with strawberries. I did all that for $500.

So most of my cakes are priced individually based on what kind of cake, etc but the $1.75/slice is what I won't go under.

I hope this makes sense.....let me know if you have any other questions.

tan32 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm
post #40 of 51

I am assuming your are coming up with your price by factoring all expenses, and labour, times 3. Then figuring out how many slices a particular cake serves, and calculating the per slice price from that, am I right? I am doing a cake in two weeks, and I am charging $200.00 for supplies and ingredients,and approximately $180.00 for labor at $15.00 per hour. So $380.00 for three square tiers, pillared, and covered in fondant. Does this sound reasonable or too low?

alicegop Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 8:14pm
post #41 of 51

tan 32, what are the sizes of the cakes?

tan32 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:59am
post #42 of 51

Alicegop they are 6" 10" 14". And 3" high

alicegop Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan32

I am assuming your are coming up with your price by factoring all expenses, and labour, times 3. Then figuring out how many slices a particular cake serves, and calculating the per slice price from that, am I right? I am doing a cake in two weeks, and I am charging $200.00 for supplies and ingredients,and approximately $180.00 for labor at $15.00 per hour. So $380.00 for three square tiers, pillared, and covered in fondant. Does this sound reasonable or too low?

<p>PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!

tan32 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:13pm
post #44 of 51

Alicegop So you think that price sounds good hey. Good to know.

whyteicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whyteicing Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:51am
post #45 of 51

i just saw this post (original post) and thought it was helpful.
so here's a bump!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:07am
post #46 of 51

Thank-you for the helpful information. icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:11pm
post #47 of 51

ge~ You're Great!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to enter all this info! Such a huge help. I had my first pay cake a couple of weeks ago and I did it for $20. I was thinking that I should have asked $25. It's the 9x13 football cake in my photos. Now, after reading this post, I know I felt that way for a reason. It's just a little scary.... would rather be upset myself about not charging enough than to turn it away or possibly offend icon_redface.gificon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif

I'm workin on getting over that though!!! Thanks again!! icon_lol.gif

Michelle

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #48 of 51

Ok~ I know someone has probably already answered this somewhere and I apologize ahead of time for the stupid question......

One layer is one cake torted and filled or not? Do you chg extra to torte and fill just one layer? Or is that considered 2 layers if you do that? And when you say 2 layers filled does that just mean 2 cakes, the same size, not torted but filled to attach together? I hope this makes sense to someone, not even really to me!!!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif Help me understand this please1!!!TIA!!

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #49 of 51

ge978~

hey!!! a fellow canton-ite!! how cool is that!?!?! icon_smile.gif i've been wondering who the other bakers in the area were. nice to meet you!

~erica

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:30pm
post #50 of 51

Thanks for posting. Love your info.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #51 of 51

ge978, I think you may be selling yourself short. Bring those cake prices up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%