What Am I Doing Wrong: Royal Icing!!

Decorating By Cinderella24 Updated 19 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm by antonia74

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 11

This was my second attempt at making a batch of Royal Icing and it failed again! What am I doing wrong??!! Both batches, I followed the recipe exactly. I mixed 5 Tblsp. of water to the first batch, mixed on med-high with my handheld mixer for 10 min and there was still a sheen. Plus I burnt out my mixer! The second batch I did the same, using 6 Tblsp. of water instead. Still a sheen after 12 min. of mixing with my handheld at med-high speed. I added some confectioners sugar, but then it was too thick to push through my bag!! I add a bit of water and it ends up sinking into the rest of the batch!!! Is this a too little/too much water issue, not long enough with the mixing, poor sugar, not sifting the sugar, what?!! I heard that the icing should have no sheen and look like buttercream when it's ready.

Please help!!! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 11

Well I'm not a pro at this by any means..though I have made it quite a few times. I always under mixed it before and it was really shiny but it still worked. Now that I know more about it and what to look for it is supposed to look whippy like buttercream and def. not as shiny as it does when you first start whipping it.

I measure everything get it into the bowl and then start mixing it and then scrap down the sides and let it go again for a min. and look at it and if its crumbly or too thick I add another 1/2 tbl. water and keep going from there until I get the right consistency and then I just let it mix for about 8-10 min. but maybe with a hand mixer you should go to like 15min.

Most of the time I have to add water or more sugar to get it to just the right consistency...its not one of those recipes that is always consistent..IMO. But usually I can always salvage it even if I add too much of something if I keep playing with it..its usually workable. I hope this helps! I don't sift the sugar either so I dont' think thats it. I would say just keep mixing it for a few more minutes and then see what it does. Good luckicon_smile.gif

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 11

That happened to me the first time I made it. I had to throw the whole batch away. It would not hold any shape and it was very shiny. My problem was I used a rubber spatula that had a little grease on it from my last batch of buttercream. It is important that grease does not get in your royal icing at all. Make sure everything is grease free, bowls, utensils, ect. I hope that helps.

Also I only use parchment bags to pipe the icing that way I know there is no residue of grease.

Cinderella24 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try again tonight as I have 2 batches to make for tomorrow. Does anyone have or know of a place where I could see a picture of what Royal Icing should look like when it's ready?

Also, I can make it fairly thick, but when I make my flowers, it still ends up melting into a pile so that there is no definition to my flowers (ie. the petals melt into a blob still). Maybe a trace of grease somewhere?? ...Though I thought that I washed my utensils pretty well....

Urgh.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 11

Usually when I make royal icing I buy it in a bag at the cake supply. It is just the dry ingredients and you only add water. I have never had it not turn out right - it is so much easier than trial and error in making your own.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

Hi, if you are able go to the Article section, scroll down and you will see Tutorial on how to bake and decorate cookies. She gives step by step instructions on it, and even has picture, of the steps. I have only made it once, and it was way thin, I kept add powder sugar, but it was a fight up to the end. Hope I have helped out. thumbs_up.gif

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 11

My flowers were melting too, I wasn't mixing long enough. I now do ten minutes with a stand mixer. Definately go longer with a hand mixer. You might want to invest in a stand mixer. I have an Oster that I have had for at least fifteen years and it still works great. You may be able to find a used one somewhere. I also wipe EVERYTHING down with white vinegar before I use it (soak my tips too), it really cuts any grease out.HTH.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 11

That can be very frustrating. What type of bag did you use to pipe your flowers?

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 11

Cinderella24,

Before you do your icing soak everything in vinegar & hot water then rince well that is the key to royal icing not to have any grease come in contact with it, it breaks it down. Best of luck if you do that I am sure it will turn out for you!!!!

Cinderella24 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will both look at the article on how to decorate cookies for suggestions, try mixing for longer, and pre-rinse my utensils in the vinegar/hot water wash to see if I can get some results. Worse comes to worse, I'm going to buy a mix!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 11

This icing should be done in a heavy-duty mixer with the paddle attachment...not recommended for a hand-held one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%