How Do I Store Color Flow Icing?

Decorating By Lisa422 Updated 17 May 2007 , 3:36pm by bobwonderbuns

Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:21am
post #1 of 8

I just came home from lesson 2 of course 2 in my Wilton class. We made the birds but for some reason the instructor had us double the recipe. I think it was a mistake on her part. Anyway, now I have tons of it left. I plan on making some cool things with it. But does anyone know how to store it, how long it lasts, and once you make something out of it, how long do those decorations last? Thanks everyone!

Lisa

7 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 May 2007 , 7:18am
post #2 of 8

I just store at room temperature. My instructor said to just put plastic wrap UNDER the lid, to make a better barrier to keep the color flow from drying out. I have never stored it for more than a couple of days. You may need to rewhip it before using and maybe adjust with a little extra water or powdered sugar. (For full-strength. I've never kept the watered down stuff.)

The dried pieces, if kept in a cool, dry place, away from light, will keep for a long time. Some pieces I made as extras for a cake last August were still fine last weekend--until I dropped the container they were in.

lyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyse Posted 16 May 2007 , 8:00am
post #3 of 8

One evening I was watching the food channel and I saw a woman use a toothpick. She was a cookie decorator and she said that she got tired of her icing drying out, so she left the tip on her icing bag and put a toothpick in the bottom and then her icing didn't dry out. I have done it several times since. it works.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:04am
post #4 of 8

According the my Wilton instructor, the Color Flo, once mixed, won't last more than 3 weeks/1 month, because of the Egg White content.

After that point, it goes bad. I found that out when I hadn't used all of a batch I had mixed up.

Once dried, it can last as long as any Royal Icing piece (years). My Mom still has her wedding cake (royal icing decorations). They're faded because of being in indirect light, but still going strong after 40 years.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:40am
post #5 of 8

My instructor had us double the recipe too. I don't know why either!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 8

Can you freeze it?
Mary icon_smile.gif

Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all of your info. Sorry for the late reply, but my computers been out of commission.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 8

Hey Kris, I LOVE your avator!! That is just too funny! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%