Chocolate Ganache..what Now?

Decorating By cindww Updated 15 Jun 2006 , 3:49pm by missyek

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 10:55am
post #1 of 10

Okay guys, I made chocolate ganache for the first time..its in the fridge,what do i do with it now? I can't see spreading in on a cake..its hard. Do i let it sit out for a while to soften? I made it to add to a chocolate buttercream recipe, but what else can I do with it in its original form?
Thanks,
Cindy

9 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 11:54am
post #2 of 10

Set it out on the coutner and let it get to a pudding like consistency and whip it for a whipped ganache--use it as a filling or pipe decorations with it. If you let it come back down to room temp and a pourable state, you cake pour it on your cake or drizzle it over it.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 11:56am
post #3 of 10

Yes, leave it out to soften, then it will be spreadable. Also you can heat it over simmering water or use a double boiler. I have also nuked it for a short time. I dont think that is what the pros would recommend, but it worked find for me. You can just use the ganache in it's original form to fill the cake, I have also whipped it to make a whipped ganache filling, you can also pour it over a cake (which I have never done) but the ganache needs to be warm and pourable like corn syrup consistancy I think. Maybe you already know, but ganache doesnt need to be refrigerated if you are going to use it within a couple of days.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Maybe you already know, but ganache doesnt need to be refrigerated if you are going to use it within a couple of days.

I just learned this the other day. I was reading a chat somewhere with Collette Peters and she said the said thing. She said ganache was pretty strudy and could be left out. I always thought it needed to be refridgerated. I'm so glad because I have to do my s-i-l's wedding cake in a couple of weeks and I'm using whipped dark choc. ganche for the filling. One thing to make life a little easier!!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 10

Just so I'm clear here..when you whip it, what happens..? Does it get like a thick whipped cream?

missyek Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindww

Just so I'm clear here..when you whip it, what happens..? Does it get like a thick whipped cream?

Well it gets thick enough that it will hold its shape and you can pipe with it--so you can do borders and designs with it.

missyek Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

Quote:

Maybe you already know, but ganache doesnt need to be refrigerated if you are going to use it within a couple of days.

I just learned this the other day. I was reading a chat somewhere with Collette Peters and she said the said thing. She said ganache was pretty strudy and could be left out. I always thought it needed to be refridgerated. I'm so glad because I have to do my s-i-l's wedding cake in a couple of weeks and I'm using whipped dark choc. ganche for the filling. One thing to make life a little easier!!

REALLY?!?!? icon_eek.gif I always thought it would need to be refridgerated also because of the heavy cream. WOW! This will make life much easier!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 10

can we highlight this post for all the people who say that buttercream made with a tiny bit of milk should be refrigerated! lol

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 10

REALLY?!?!? icon_eek.gif I always thought it would need to be refridgerated also because of the heavy cream. WOW! This will make life much easier![/quote]

REALLY thumbs_up.gif I did a lot of research on this, and have learned from many sources that it does not need to be refrigerated, neither does buttercream with a small amount of cream or milk if you use it within 2-3 days-otherwise refrigerate until ready to use. I learned these things from some of my favorite members on the wilton site. I think it has to do with the ratio of fats to sugars. Sugar acts as a preservative. The whipped cream icings need to be refrigerated I believe.

missyek Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:

REALLY thumbs_up.gif I did a lot of research on this, and have learned from many sources that it does not need to be refrigerated, neither does buttercream with a small amount of cream or milk if you use it within 2-3 days-otherwise refrigerate until ready to use. I learned these things from some of my favorite members on the wilton site. I think it has to do with the ratio of fats to sugars. Sugar acts as a preservative. The whipped cream icings need to be refrigerated I believe.

Time for the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance! icon_lol.gif Thanks for the info. That really does help a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%