Rubber Stamping Fondant

Decorating By dettdunn Updated 16 May 2007 , 4:41pm by randipanda

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:44am
post #1 of 10

My soon-to-be daughter-in-law wants the wedding cake that is shown in Martha Stewart Weddings ...The French Confection. The description indicates that rubber stamps were used to make the design. My concern: the cakes are square. How do I make sure that the design is squared around the cake and not off at various angles, etc.? Can I "stamp" the cake once the fondant is covering the cake? Thanks for any assistance.

9 replies
randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:00am
post #2 of 10

Do you have a picture or a link?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:35am
post #4 of 10

Yes, you can, and should, stamp the fondant once it is on the cake. but, you have to work fairly quickly, while the fondant is still soft. As it dries, fondant can develop a bit of crust, making it hard to get a good imprint.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 16 May 2007 , 7:07am
post #5 of 10

Hi

i used a rubber stamp to emboss this dummy cake. i had brought them a while ago but hadn't used them, i definately will be using them more often now. it was fun and easy to do. sorry its i bit hard to see but if you click on the image it opens new window and you can see the pattern a bit better...

cheers

kylie
LL

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 16 May 2007 , 7:57am
post #6 of 10

To get a decent looking impression with a stamp on a real cake, you should try to find the deepest stamp face you can locate and it should be fairly rigid. Most craft store stamps are not ideal because the rubber on the stamp face is too soft & shallow.

These types of stamps work great on dummy cakes since they are made to be pressed onto a hard surface. The styrofoam of the dummy cake provides the perfect resistance. On a real cake however, when you press that soft stamp into soft fondant on a soft cake the impression is typically nowhere near as nice as it will be on a dummy and if you press too hard to try to get the impression deeper, you can really jack up the cake.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 16 May 2007 , 9:15am
post #7 of 10

i have used my one's on a real cake and they worked just aswell, mine are good quality scapbooking stamps that are mounted on wood.

kylie

dettdunn Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks to all for your assistance. I think I will go ahead and make a practice cake before the wedding cake just to be sure everything works well. Thanks again for your replies!

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 10

I have another question about this... Would you be able to drip a stamp into food colouring and then imprint onto the fondant?

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 10

OOO, now that sounds like fun. I can't imagine why you couldn't make it work with some practice. It probably isn't as easy as just dipping it in food color though. I'd probably mix it with some vanilla and then using a paint brush or a small sponge to color the stamp. Thanks for the idea!

Randi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%