Hamburger Cake...where To Start???

Decorating By txboog Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 1:12pm by cakesbykellie

txboog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txboog Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:16am
post #1 of 5

I've been seeing a lot of great hamburger cakes on the site. I'd love to wow some friends during a July 4th cookout. Could someone please post the instructions or at least some tips to get me started? Thanks!!!

4 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:55am
post #2 of 5

I have instructions form a book on how to make the hamburger cake, but I have never made the cake myself!

In my instructions you bake your cakes in a greased and floured 2-qt. oven proof bowl (4 cups batter) and 2 (8-in.) round cake pans (2 3/4 cups batter @). After the cakes have cooled completely, trim flat side of bowl cake and tops of round cakes.

Place 1 round cake on cake board. Frost with tan frosting. Top with second round cake layer; frost with chocolate frosting. Place bowl cake. flat side down, on top of frosted layer; frost with tan frosting.

Flatten green gumdrops with rolling pin on smooth flat surface sprinkled with sugar. Roll until very thin (about 1/16th in.), turning frequently to coat with sugar. Cut ruffled edge on gumdrops with sharp knife or scissors; tuck underneath chocolate layer to resemble pickles.

Tint red and yellow frosting to pipe "ketchup" and "mustard". Sprinkle sunflower seeds on top to resemble sesame seeds on bun.

(Attached below is a scan of the picture from my book.) I hope this at least gives you a starting point on how to make a hamburger cake!

glenda thumbs_up.gif
LL

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:42am
post #3 of 5

i tried to attach a pic but not working..... its on this site as cheesburger in paradise if you need a visual. icon_smile.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 5

I used a casarole dish for my top bun and a 9" round for the bottom bun. I made a 9" brownie for the patty.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 5

i simply baked a white cake and didnt level it and torted it for the "bun" and sprinkled sesame seeds on the top. I baked a chocolate cake and leveled it for the burger and frosted that with chocolate and gave it burger texture The pickles, tomatoes and cheese were fondant and the lettuce is BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%