Bavarian Gone Bad:(, Any Insight?

Baking By melissablack Updated 18 May 2005 , 3:13pm by Lisa

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 18 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #1 of 4

icon_cry.gif This is what I get for trying a new recipe... it always seems to happen to me whenever I have an important cake to make. I tried this recipe, it sounded fine, and it looked ok when I put it in the fridge, but when I checked on it a few hours later, it was almost SOLID, and when I spooned some of it out, it was kinda grainy... hard to explain. What do you think I could have done wrong?? I followed the recipe to a T.. icon_cry.gif

Bavarian Cream Filling

4 cups milk
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoon plain gelatin
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs separated

Directions

In a large sauce pan, dissolve gelatin in cold milk. Place pan over medium heat and heat until simmering, stirring frequently. While milk is heating, whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until light and pale yellow in color. Slowly add mixture to simmering milk. whisking constantly. Let cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat transfer to a large bowl, and set aside, stirring occasionally, until warm not hot. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla and continue beating until soft peaks form. Fold in beaten whites. Chill until thickened.

3 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 4:51am
post #2 of 4

When you stirred it, did it become more like a custard or is it really hard?
Did the gelatin soften before you heated it?

The recipe I use is a bit different. The gelatin is softened in water. The egg yolk mixture is strained before cooling and whipped cream (whipped heavy cream only) is folded in instead of the egg whites.

If the gelatin softened, then maybe it was grainy because of the sugar added to the egg whites. Maybe it didn't dissolve. What do you think?

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 18 May 2005 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 4

The gelatin was not softened.. just dissolved in the milk.

The texture of the finished product was like it took on the texture of the beaten egg whites.

When I tried to stir it it was not smooth, you can't even really stir it 'cause it's too hard.

melissa icon_sad.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 4

Did you use the unflavored gelatin that comes in the little packets? When I put the gelatin into the water, it softens and absorbs most of the water but it doesn't completely dissolve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%